Old September 8th 09, 03:20 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default (OT) Free To Air Satellite TV

I am still doetin on buying such a rig.Are there any online newsgroups
where people talk about Free To Air Satellite TV? I don't know which
Free To Air Satellite TV rig/equipment I should buy, there are so many
of them available.
cuhulin

Old September 8th 09, 08:45 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Mainly, I want to watch live Ireland and Scotland TV on Free To Air
Satellite TV, I don't want to tie up my computer with TV.Somebody once
said something (in another newsgroup) about a certain Satellite in orbit
over Gibralta.
cuhulin

Old September 8th 09, 10:14 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

wrote:
Mainly, I want to watch live Ireland and Scotland TV on Free To Air
Satellite TV, I don't want to tie up my computer with TV.Somebody once
said something (in another newsgroup) about a certain Satellite in orbit
over Gibralta.
cuhulin

Wow, did Gibraltar move to the equator? All geosynchronus satellites orbit
over the equator. What happens is there is a cluster of satellites that
orbit in what looks like the same spot to someone on the surface of the earth
all broadcasting on different frequencies. This is quite common.

One of them is used to relay the FTA broadcasts to the UK, Scotland and Wales.
In order to receive it you point an antenna at the cluster. The antenna needs
enough gain to receive a signal that can be decoded.

In order to reduce the size of the antenna needed, and to limit the
availability of programing, the satellites use as narrow aka "spot beam"
signal.

It just so happens that Gibraltar is close enough to receive the signals
with a larger than normal dish. I checked, and here in Jerusalem,
although I can "see" the satellites, I can not get enough signal with a
9 meter (30 foot) dish to be useable.

Since Gibraltar is an overseas territory of the UK, but not part of the UK
per se, they have very different copyright laws than the UK. It is legal
for them to put up a dish, receive the FTA signal and watch it. It is not
legal for them to sell the signals that they receive.

However, they can sell you bandwidth from their computers to yours. One
company will sell you bandwidth and free of charge (for the signal) fill it
with a UK TV signal they receive off of the FTA satellites.

Whether or not it is legal for you to receive the signal on the bandwidth
you purchase from them, varies from country to country. Whether or not it
is possible to have enough of the information contained in the bandwith
you purchased arrive at your computer fast enough and complete enough to
watch a TV signal is impossible to predict and may vary from day to day, or
even minute to minute.

In plain English, you search the web for them, you try their free trial if
they have one, and if not buy a month and try it. If it works, you may be
happy, if it does not, then you are out a little bit of money.

It would IMHO behoove you to spend the time and effort to find out if it
is legal where you live to do it, and what would happen if you were found out
if it is not.

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson, Jerusalem, Israel
N3OWJ/4X1GM
Old September 9th 09, 01:49 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

I don't know for sure, but I think three foot satellite dishes have been
outlawed here in Jackson,Mississippi.About nine years ago, with my WebTV
box, I could view a taped replay/digitally recorded/whatever, of a news
weather and sports tv program from a tv station in Dublin,Ireland.Of
course it was a sort of a stop action/break action viewing experience,
if you know what I mean? miso, can you actually pick up live Ireland and
Scotland (Wales too) tv with your satellite equipment? in good quality?
cuhulin

Old September 9th 09, 03:49 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Sep 9, 8:49*am, wrote:
I don't know for sure, but I think three foot satellite dishes have been
outlawed here in Jackson,Mississippi.About nine years ago, with my WebTV
box, I could view a taped replay/digitally recorded/whatever, of a news
weather and sports tv program from a tv station in Dublin,Ireland.Of
course it was a sort of a stop action/break action viewing experience,
if you know what I mean? miso, can you actually pick up live Ireland and
Scotland (Wales too) tv with your satellite equipment? in good quality?
cuhulin

This thread is fascinating.
Old September 9th 09, 05:46 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

About three sumpin months ago, a guy was installing Dish Network
satellite tv equipment at one of the houses next door to doggy's couch.I
asked him if he knows about Free To Air (FTA) satellite tv, and if I buy
the equipment, will he install it for me.He said he knows about FTA and
he can't install FTA for me.(Company policy, I suppose, he could get
fired if he did) He also said most people in America don't know about
FTA.I think he is right.

I reckon as how I will lets my fangers do the walkin in my Jackson phone
book and see what I can find.I think those elderly people at the Hooper
Sound store on Terry Road might know.

Oh, Boo Hoo, Woe is me,,, Woe is me,,, all I wants to do is watch Live
Ireland and Scotland (Wales too) Free To Air Satellite TV.
cuhulin

Old September 10th 09, 06:41 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Sep 9, 5:49*am, wrote:
I don't know for sure, but I think three foot satellite dishes have been
outlawed here in Jackson,Mississippi.About nine years ago, with my WebTV
box, I could view a taped replay/digitally recorded/whatever, of a news
weather and sports tv program from a tv station in Dublin,Ireland.Of
course it was a sort of a stop action/break action viewing experience,
if you know what I mean? miso, can you actually pick up live Ireland and
Scotland (Wales too) tv with your satellite equipment? in good quality?
cuhulin

CONUS, there are no restrictions on dishes 1 meter or less, per FCC
and thus federal law. You may be able to use larger dishes, but
anything over 1 meter is subject to local restrictions. I wouldn't go
bigger than 1.2 meters.

The small dishes used by Dish or Direct won't cut it.

Many of the shows on FTA are available on the net. I haven't seen it
happen in the US, but the DoD has bought time on satellites targeted
to the EU and put UAV video on them.

I have a suspicion you will like the Saturday Night Knife and Gun
Show.
http://www.knifeandgunshow.com/