Old August 12th 10, 03:10 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Good starter Shortwave Radio?

I am totally new to the hobby, so I was thinking it would be nice to
have a shortwave radio that I could listen to some broadcasts. I
would prefer a radio that is battery independent (So I don't spend a
fortune on getting new batteries for a radio, plug in or wind up is
fine) and I really do not want to spend a ton of money on something
that I won't use much if I don't like it, so it needs to be
inexpensive (as in under $100 USD.)
Old August 12th 10, 05:09 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Zach Edwardson wrote:
I am totally new to the hobby, so I was thinking it would be nice to
have a shortwave radio that I could listen to some broadcasts. I
would prefer a radio that is battery independent (So I don't spend a
fortune on getting new batteries for a radio, plug in or wind up is
fine) and I really do not want to spend a ton of money on something
that I won't use much if I don't like it, so it needs to be
inexpensive (as in under $100 USD.)

To answer you questions backwards, don't buy a battery independent radio,
unless you need one. For example in your fallout shelter. Buy either a radio
that runs on household current, or if you want a portable, buy one that uses
AA batteries.

Then go out and buy a set of slow discharge NiMH batteries, such as the Sanyo
Enerloop, and use them. They charge in any standard NiHM charger, but take
longer to charge. They also will hold 80% of their charge for a year.

The don't take a charge well the first few times you use them, so expect them
to need to be recharged relatively quickly the first few times.

They will last about 1,000 charge/discharge cycles, or 3 years if you run them
down to empty and recharge every day.

Now to a radio.

You can look at the website of Universal Radio (www.rffun.com) and see what
they have. Look at their used radios too. Don't buy anything with tubes in
it, no matter how good it looks, how well they say it works, nor how cheap
it is.

Tube radios are fine if you understand the care they need, but as a first
radio, it's not a good idea.

Before you buy anything, put an ad up on the local mailing lists, looking
for one for free. You would be surprised what people have, and won't get rid
of because they think it might be valuable, but really want out of their homes
and would gladly give away to someone who asked.

You could also go to www.qrz.com and put in your zipcode in the advanced
search option. That will give you a list of hams that live near you.
If you recognize any names, give them a call.

If you don't send them an email, or if they are a neighbor, knock on their
door and explain why. Hams love to show of their stations and help prospective
hams.

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson N3OWJ/4X1GM
To help restaurants, as part of the "stimulus package", everyone must order
Old August 12th 10, 05:37 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Aug 12, 12:14*pm, Bob Dobbs wrote:
Zach Edwardson wrote:
I am totally new to the hobby, so I was thinking it would be nice to
have a shortwave radio that I could listen to some broadcasts. *I
would prefer a radio that is battery independent (So I don't spend a
fortune on getting new batteries for a radio, plug in or wind up is
fine) and I really do not want to spend a ton of money on something
that I won't use much if I don't like it, so it needs to be
inexpensive (as in under $100 USD.)

You're probably going to end up with something used,
with that level of expenditure restriction,
because new radios in that range won't deliver anywhere near the performance
that will sustain an interest in the hobby.
Trying to guess what will be available to you
at the time of your purchase is no trivial challenge.
Good Luck.

--

Operator Bob
Echo Charlie 42

Well, I called around and to make a long story short (Someone I knew
knew someone who knew this guy type deal) and picked up a new in box
Grundig Traveler II Digital G8 for a song (20 USD) that I will get
tomarrow. I know its not a Ham quality radio, but the price was right
and I might have fun with it.

So, I guess the question is now "How good/bad is a Grundig Traveler II
Digital G8 as a portable Shortwave radio?"
Old August 12th 10, 06:52 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Aug 12, 1:32*pm, Bob Dobbs wrote:
http://bit.ly/cx7j5f

Thank you Bob. Seems by the reviews online it is a decent radio at a
good price. I figure if I buy it, never use it, I could sell it on,
and if I did like it, I could put it in my office/car, use it as a
portable system, and get something like a Ten Tec RX-320 for home
use. Might be good for me to learn how to spool up and make some home
made attennas for better SW service. My grandfather was a Ham, but I
am completely new to the whole true radio experince.
Old August 12th 10, 08:14 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Zach Edwardson wrote:
I am totally new to the hobby, so I was thinking it would be nice to
have a shortwave radio that I could listen to some broadcasts. I
would prefer a radio that is battery independent (So I don't spend a
fortune on getting new batteries for a radio, plug in or wind up is
fine) and I really do not want to spend a ton of money on something
that I won't use much if I don't like it, so it needs to be
inexpensive (as in under $100 USD.)

If you want to just listen why not use web streams? They are much
easier on the years.

Are you intrigued by the technology? The idea of sparks heard around
the world, etc? If so, beware. There is a lot of hardware out there..

Old August 12th 10, 08:33 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Zach Edwardson wrote:

Well, I called around and to make a long story short (Someone I knew
knew someone who knew this guy type deal) and picked up a new in box
Grundig Traveler II Digital G8 for a song (20 USD) that I will get
tomarrow. I know its not a Ham quality radio, but the price was right
and I might have fun with it.

So, I guess the question is now "How good/bad is a Grundig Traveler II
Digital G8 as a portable Shortwave radio?"

That looks like a fun radio. It uses a real old tuner chip from the late
'80s. Sensitive as all get-out. I wouldn't add more than a couple clip
leads to the antenna. You can tune stations in the gap adding (or
subtracting) 900kHz to the frequency you want, as the radio is single
conversion with a low IF (450 kHz [sometimes 450]).
Old August 12th 10, 08:50 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

It is good enough for an inexpensive starter radio.Have fun with it.
cuhulin

Old August 12th 10, 10:09 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Look around in your area for Amateur Radio Clubs.They will help you.
cuhulin

Old August 12th 10, 11:36 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Check out any thrift stores in your area for any radios you like.I own
over 300 old radios, most of them I bought at thrift stores and junk
shops and flea markets.Check out the yard sales too.
No such thing as owning too many radios.
http://www.shopgoodwill.com
cuhulin

Old August 12th 10, 11:55 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Aug 12, 6:36*pm, wrote:
Check out any thrift stores in your area for any radios you like.I own
over 300 old radios, most of them I bought at thrift stores and junk
shops and flea markets.Check out the yard sales too.
No such thing as owning too many radios.http://www.shopgoodwill.com
cuhulin

Well the old adage of "be careful what you wish for you just might get
it"

Someone offered me a Hammerlund HQ-129x if I carted it off...now I
know why they are called boat anchors!

I know it works, as i was able to get a country radio station on it,
but i hope the poor reception was due to my improvised antenna (some
co-axle cable) and not the radio. I downloaded the manual so I know
how to warm up the tubes and all that. (Has original knobs i think)
So now I am trying learn with about 20 foot co-ax antenna.