Old September 30th 10, 05:00 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Latest DXpedition in South Africa

On Sep 29, 7:20*pm, John Plimmer wrote:
My co DX pal Vince Steven and I have just got back from our latest
DXpedition to Jongensgat on our Indian Ocean South East Coast. See:http://www.dxing.info/dxpeditions/jongensgat_2010_09.dx

Lovely catches from Aussie "down under" and a couple of Philippino's
as well.

My Kiwa MW Loop has been given a new life and outperformed my long
beverage antenna's on many occasions..

Happy DX and enjoy your radio's.

John Plimmer, Montagu, Cape Province, South Africa
South 33 d 47 m 32 s, East 20 d 07 m 32 s
Icom IC-7600, Perseus SDR
ERGO software
Drake SW8. Sangean 803A, Redsun RP2100
Sony 7600D, GE SRIII, Grundig G8, Eton E100
Antenna's RF Systems DX 1 Pro Mk II, Datong AD-270
Kiwa MW Loop.http://www.dxing.info/about/dxers/plimmer.dx

Awesome! Fantastic catches. Do you know why your Kiwa loop was down
before, or did it just mysteriously start working again?
Old September 30th 10, 11:09 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Sep 30, 4:00*am, DEFCON 88 wrote:
Awesome! Fantastic catches. Do you know why your Kiwa loop was down
before, or did it just mysteriously start working again?

No, I don't know why the Kiwa went down. It was down for a year and I
had several goes at it with no luck.
Then I took it to a ham who had repaired it before.
He said he could find nothing wrong with it...???
So I fetched it back and now its mysteriously working perfectly again.

The big thing about the Kiwa MW Loop is it works very well, equalling
a 1000ft beverage, which is outstanding.
And its portable - I cart it around in a medium sized suitcase.
Also, its so useful as you can rotate it, thus getting signals from
various directions, like N. America and then rotate it to get Europe.
You need a separate extra beverage antenna to do that which is a huge
task, so the Kiwa is very versatile.

Pity no one else has tried to make one available commercially

JP
Old September 30th 10, 10:50 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Sep 30, 6:09*am, John Plimmer wrote:

[...]

Copy that. I have a Kiwa loop and it is outstanding. I can sometimes
get really deep nulls from it. Yes, it's a shame that nobody sells
anything like it anymore. I'd love to see a LW version of it, but it
may require more than one loop to cover those wavelengths and size
might be an issue ... I'm not sure.

Old October 1st 10, 12:20 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"DEFCON 88" wrote in message
[...]

I rebuilt my Kiwa for longwave use. It's rewound with Litz wire, the
amplifier was changed to a Dallas Lankford design and I had to use different
tuning diodes along with 18 volts (two batteries) for the tuning. It tunes
from below 200 KHz to over 600 KHz and is the best antenna I have for
longwave.

Old October 1st 10, 02:14 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

DEFCON 88 wrote:

Copy that. I have a Kiwa loop and it is outstanding. I can sometimes
get really deep nulls from it. Yes, it's a shame that nobody sells
anything like it anymore. I'd love to see a LW version of it, but it
may require more than one loop to cover those wavelengths and size
might be an issue ... I'm not sure.

A do-it-yourself loop antenna is a good weekend project.

Old October 2nd 10, 09:47 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Oct 1, 9:14*am, dave wrote:
DEFCON 88 wrote:
Copy that. I have a Kiwa loop and it is outstanding. I can sometimes
get really deep nulls from it. Yes, it's a shame that nobody sells
anything like it anymore. I'd love to see a LW version of it, but it
may require more than one loop to cover those wavelengths and size
might be an issue ... *I'm not sure.

A do-it-yourself loop antenna is a good weekend project.

I dunno, that would require getting out of this chair and moving
around. Sounds too hard. heh heh