Old April 1st 18, 02:48 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Today's UnID

The Drake R-8a that I inherited has a zillion presets. One group was programmed for 5000, 10000, 15000, 3330, 7335, 14670, and 11092.5USB(!). The first three were probably for WWVH, and I just never got around to changing the others.

So, when I went to check my atomic clock, I happened to scroll past the other frequencies, and I heard a very weak signal on 11092.5USB at about 0100 GMT. I thought I could hear a male voice say “Tony Lee” followed by music that sounded like part of “My Country ‘Tis of Thee”.

What was it?
Old April 1st 18, 04:34 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Sun, 01 Apr 2018 06:48:03 -0700, jfeng+AEA-my-deja.com wrote:

+AD4 The Drake R-8a that I inherited has a zillion presets. One group was programmed for 5000, 10000, 15000, 3330, 7335, 14670, and 11092.5USB(+ACE). The first three were probably for WWVH, and I just never got around to changing the others.
+AD4
+AD4 So, when I went to check my atomic clock, I happened to scroll past the other frequencies, and I heard a very weak signal on 11092.5USB at about 0100 GMT. I thought I could hear a male voice say +IBw-Tony Lee+IB0 followed by music that sounded like part of +IBw-My Country +IBg-Tis of Thee+IB0.
+AD4
+AD4 What was it?

That was the frequency for the old Radio St Helena, a one day transmission that DXers wanted to catch. They closed down years ago. Maybe a April Fool's Day pirate?

http://sainthelenaisland.info/radios...htm+ACM-rshday
Old April 1st 18, 04:43 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Sun, 01 Apr 2018 06:48:03 -0700, jfeng+AEA-my-deja.com wrote:

+AD4 The Drake R-8a that I inherited has a zillion presets. One group was programmed for 5000, 10000, 15000, 3330, 7335, 14670, and 11092.5USB(+ACE). The first three were probably for WWVH, and I just never got around to changing the others.
+AD4
By the way, CHU kicked up it's 7335 frequency a few years ago after the SW broadcast band was expanded. It STILL feels wrong to me.
Old April 1st 18, 05:00 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Sun, 01 Apr 2018 15:34:05 +000, Frank wrote:

+AD4 On Sun, 01 Apr 2018 06:48:03 -0700, jfeng+AEA-my-deja.com wrote:
+AD4
+AD4APg The Drake R-8a that I inherited has a zillion presets. One group was programmed for 5000, 10000, 15000, 3330, 7335, 14670, and 11092.5USB(+ACE). The first three were probably for WWVH, and I just never got around to changing the others.
+AD4APg
+AD4APg So, when I went to check my atomic clock, I happened to scroll past the other frequencies, and I heard a very weak signal on 11092.5USB at about 0100 GMT. I thought I could hear a male voice say +IBw-Tony Lee+IB0 followed by music that sounded like part of +IBw-My Country +IBg-Tis of Thee+IB0.
+AD4APg
+AD4APg What was it?
+AD4
+AD4 That was the frequency for the old Radio St Helena, a one day transmission that DXers wanted to catch. They closed down years ago. Maybe a April Fool's Day pirate?
+AD4
+AD4 http://sainthelenaisland.info/radios...htm+ACM-rshday

I'm guessing it was a pirate playing this:

http://sainthelenaisland.info/rshton...ghtingback.mp3

The announcer is Tony Leo and the closing music is +ACI-God Save the Queen+ACI.

Glenn Hauser gave a good heads up for the Radio St. Helena transmissions. I tried chasing it a couple of times but it was too noisy and I just didn't have the patience.

Old April 1st 18, 05:30 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On 4/1/2018 11:34 AM, Frank wrote:

That was the frequency for the old Radio St Helena, a one day transmission that DXers wanted to catch. They closed down years ago. Maybe a April Fool's Day pirate?

Reminds me of one April 1st a few years ago when I worked 5U4GB on the
Isle of Tung Sol. :-D
Old April 1st 18, 06:21 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

www.allacronyms.com/UNLD
Old April 2nd 18, 02:24 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

I confess. This was all a pile of covfefe created in honor of Saint Stupid’s day. I considered claiming that it was my Ocean Hopper, but that would have been even less plausible. One benefit is that it drew out the real SWLs who know about UTEs and chasing DX.

I apologize for diverting everyone from the regular political mudslinging with this on-topic fable.

Old April 2nd 18, 05:39 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Mon, 02 Apr 2018 06:24:22 -0700, jfeng+AEA-my-deja.com wrote:

+AD4 I confess. This was all a pile of covfefe created in honor of Saint
+AD4 Stupid+IBk-s day. I considered claiming that it was my Ocean Hopper, but
+AD4 that would have been even less plausible.

I'd be surprised if no pirate hasn't seriously considered being Radio St.
Helena for a day. There's plenty of audio on the website.

I've heard a couple of rebroadcasts of KIPM material. There was some
excitement on the web but the imperfect modulation said it was NOT Alan
Maxwell.

UNID for me 1530AM Vlad Gadov Shortwave 4 January 16th 13 10:01 AM
UNID sound 6.955 usb Ron Baker, Pluralitas! Shortwave 0 April 1st 07 06:15 PM
UNID signal 1.775.5 USB UJ Shortwave 0 June 4th 04 04:19 AM
I am getting an Unid on 4810 ChGeor9 Shortwave 3 April 10th 04 09:01 AM
Unid signal Tom Sevart Scanner 1 November 12th 03 09:36 PM