Old September 11th 03, 03:49 PM
Frank Dresser

Have you considered using a single, less expensive IF filter and a Q
multiplier or Q multipliers to change it's shape and bandwidth?

The notch/peak of a Q-multiplier is a very sharp exaggeration of single
tuned circuit. Could a double tuned band pass circuit also be used?
Tuneable band pass notches at both the upper and lower sidebands with a peak
in the middle would be very useful and would reduce the need for several
fixed filters.

I use a Heathkit Q-multiplier. When it's tuned to the center of the IF
frequency, advancing the regeneration control will smoothly sharpen the peak
and progressively cut the side bands until it breaks into oscillation. It's
like an IF frequency tone control! Pretty cool. Another good trick is
tuning in the sidband farthest from the interference. Then I bring the
carrier back up with the Q-multiplier. Or I can use the tunable notch to
get rid of hets.

Frank Dresser

Old September 11th 03, 07:06 PM
Tom2000

On Tue, 09 Sep 2003 13:10:56 GMT, "Pete KE9OA"
wrote:

My employer has given me the go ahead to design a new product. If there is
enough interest, I will design a new MW receiver for the market. What would
you be more interested in......................a small table top type, or a
portable?
Performance wise, I am talking about something like that of an AOR7030.
I don't think that I would be inplementing Sync Detection, but a couple of
I.F. bandwidths could be possible. Definitely, double conversion, and
digital readout, with good audio quality.
Would you want any presets? How about target price? Do you want a built in
antenna, or external antenna only? High and low impedance antenna inputs?
How about a built in tunable preselector?
E-mail me directly, and we will see what happens. Any of you who have built
any of me receivers know what I am talking about...............I plan to
take the design to the next couple of steps up in performance.

Great news, Pete!

How about a different approach? Direct conversion architecture, tail
ended by a high-performance DSP processor.

Perhaps if you post your project's design constraints and target
customer base we could give you some real-world suggestions. The way
you phrased it, I'm very tempted to "ivory tower" you into the finest
tabletop that $23,000 can buy! g

Good luck with your project, and have fun. Please keep us apprised
of your progress.

Very 73,

Tom

Old September 11th 03, 09:10 PM
RHF

Pete,

Until then, you can continue your dialog here.

Or - You could simply start up a YAHOO! eGroup
- - - "High-Performance-MW-Receiver-Project"

There you can create a Message Archive, Photos, Links and Files for
all to share and add to the knowledge base.

Plus the Membership List is a Ready List of 'potential' Customers.

st3a ~ RHF
..
..
= = = "Pete KE9OA"
= = = wrote in message ...
Thanks; this sounds like a good way to go. I am not sure how we are selling
thing off of our website right now.

Pete

RHF wrote in message
om...
Pete,

Start with a simple Product "Indevelopment" internet website to
provide information and a potential client list: beyond the first
page the webee has to 'sign-up' to view the rest of the website and
you offer an eMail Up-Dates Subscription List. These things can help
in creating the before market BUZZ !

Then when the product is ready to ship, transform the internet website
into a Product "For Sale" Market Basket OnLine Ordering System for
Direct Marketing and Sales.

Simply with "Word of Mouth" and a Internet "Tell A Friend" based
program a large maket can be tapped at a low cost.

st3a ~ RHF
.
.
= = = "Pete KE9OA"
= = = wrote in message

I want to thank all of you for your input.................I will be

copying
all of these replies into a Word document, and presenting them to my
employer tomorrow morning. Hopefully, we can make this thing really

fly. I
am really excited about some of the refinements that some of the folks

at
work have brought up. We had a design meeting that lasted almost 2

hours
this evening, so I think that things look good. Oh, one more
thing......................I believe that we will be selling directly to

the
public initially, instead of going to distributers. Once we get this
product to market, I will be there to provide technical support, answer

any
questions, etc. Thanks again, folks! You are a great bunch!

Old September 11th 03, 09:16 PM
Kent

I have been to a few of them, but not as many as I would like to. They are
nice gatherings!!

I will email you direct so we can talk further!

Kent, K9EZ

"Pete KE9OA" wrote in message
Hi Kent,
I am up in Mount Prospect; if you want to come down and
audition one of the current units, that would be ok. I still have to work
out the details for a high level AGC loop, and I am also working on a low
noise synthesizer for the next generation, but feel free to shout me down
when you are coming to town. Hey, have you ever made it to the Madison
DXer's gathering? One of the fellows has moved to Milwaukee, so the next
gathering will be in that town. This last one was pretty good, although I
didn't make it. They did have some well known folks up there, such as

Gerry
Dexter, Neil Katsiros, etc.

Pete

Kent wrote in message
Willing to sell one of the "Current": units??

Also, you say you are in Chicago. What side of town? I get to Chicago

on
weekly basis.

Kent Winrich, K9EZ
Menomonee Falls, WI

"Pete KE9OA" wrote in message
news
I was thinking about using 1kHz tuning; this way, the radio would be

more
universal. No need to worry about 9 or 10kHz steps if this is done.

With
my current units, you can connect an untuned 6 foot loop directly to

the
the
50 Ohm antenna input, and the results are pretty dramatic. From my

location
in the Chicago area, I can receive WLW, on 700kHz, with an S8 signal

level.
WJR, on 760kHz, comes in at about an S7, while on 610kHz, I can

receive
Kansas City Missouri, and the Ohil station fighting each other, at an

S7
signal level. If I want to listen to MW, I don't even bother using my
AOR7030, Palstar R30, Icom R75, or Yaesu
FRG100...........................none of them is as hot.
Radioman390 wrote in message
I would prefer a table radio like a Tivoli or old KLH21

Ceratinly some DRM capability, or a place to add a plug-in card

which
could be
either DRM, C-QUAM stereo, or the digital AM (IBOC or Kahn?).

Depending on how the digital standard goes, at least the RF could be
constant.

10/9 khz tuning (US vs Euro)

Noise blanker

Before I implement a noise blanker, I want to develop a NB design that

have been slowly working on..............this would be a Quadrature

type.
The advantage to this type is that it would have dynamically variable
blanking width, with a null of right around 50dB. Still working on

that
one

An input for a loop antenna

An input with DC phantom power for an outdoor active antenna

Maybe an antenna switch to switch between lop and other antenna, or

two
loops.

Good tone controls

Perhaps something like the old Scott DYNAURAL circuit which shaped

the
flatness
of the audio depending on signal strength, or something like

Worcester's
AM
circuit which made the IF passband narrower as the signal strength
decreased.

Good speaker!

Amen!

Pete

Old September 11th 03, 11:29 PM
radiok3pi

Here are some non-technical requests.

Please, no slider controls for anything!

Also, please consider a mechanical on/off switch like the Sony 2010.
This enables one to keep in "on" state and turn it on/off via digital
timer and make unattended recordings and be able to vary the # of
recordings and length of them.

For battery power, please consider C or D cells for longer life. It
will also help add weight to the radio to prevent the slide around
problem.

Any chance of a gyro antenna, a la Panasonic RF-2200?

Thanks - please keep us updated!

Russ K3Pi

Old September 11th 03, 11:29 PM
Clifton T. Sharp Jr.

Pete KE9OA wrote:
Clifton T. Sharp Jr. wrote in message
[posted and mailed.]

Those do sound like good ideas, but I think that with what you are asking
for, the price would probably be around the 250 dollar range.

I figured as much or more myself. I said "$150 might be a nice target"
just to lower the aim, not move the target.

I've got a dozen products on the burner
right now. It's pretty cool, working for an employer that wants to do these
kinds of things.

If I had the qualifications, I'd probably come be your assistant.

--
"Here, Outlook Express, run this program." "Okay, stranger."
Old September 11th 03, 11:44 PM
Clifton T. Sharp Jr.

Pete KE9OA wrote:
Thanks again, folks! You are a great bunch!

I know you'll thank us by offering a really great radio.

--
"Here, Outlook Express, run this program." "Okay, stranger."
Old September 12th 03, 01:27 AM
Brenda Ann Dyer

Looks like the price point on this wunderempfanger is going to be way more
than my pocketbook will cough up...

(@)@)
~~

Old September 12th 03, 01:56 AM
Diverd4777

Looks like the price point on this wunderempfanger is going to be way more
than my pocketbook will cough up...

(@)@)

Tend to disagree Brenda;
- IF theres a BASIC Model
with a menu of add-ons

- Everyone should win !!

Old September 12th 03, 03:51 AM
Gray Shockley

On Thu, 11 Sep 2003 17:29:22 -0500, radiok3pi wrote
(in message ):

Here are some non-technical requests.

Please, no slider controls for anything!

Russ got this right!! Slider controls have just gotta be the dirtiest
controls ever made. I think that the factory must put the dust in them as
part of the assembly process.

I'm going to throw this out (up? grin) just because I want to.

How 'bout separating the case into two separate cases: the radio itself and
the audio section and speaker?

And, then, offering two audio sections: one solid-state and one with tubes?

Gray Shockley
DX-392 DX-398
RX-320 DX-399
70¹ Longwire