Old July 10th 04, 01:19 PM
Dee D. Flint

"me" wrote in message
news:FJQHc.62140$Oq2.29491@attbi_s52...
Personally, I believe Amateur Radio Licenses should cost $75 per year for
regulatory fees and the Commission should elimanate testing. I also

believe
that is how it will eventually be in the near future.

73,

Me

Doubtful that testing would be eliminated. International treaties require
that there is proof the operators meet minimum qualifications.

Since the FCC has given testing responsibility to the amateur community, the
FCC simply issues the license so they don't have any vested interest in
eliminating testing. And of course they issue the regulations and enforce
those regulations like they do for all communications services.

Besides testing is needed to attempt to insure that the licensees will have
learned the basics of operating. Hams have such a wide range of privileges
and frequencies that some basic knowledge truly is a necessity. We already
have enough lids slip through so let's not make it worse.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Old July 10th 04, 01:30 PM
Dee D. Flint

"Mike Coslo" wrote in message
[snip]
This is America, and you are allowed to ask any price you want for what
you sell. The buyer can also offer any price they want.

I would suggest that if a person is firm on all their prices, and
doesn't want to deal, they might want to sell retail.

Unless, of course, their price is already ridiculously low. I was selling a
used tuner at a hamfest for 1/4 of what a new one would be as I simply
didn't like it, wanted to get a different one, and wanted to be sure to sell
it. A guy tried to bargain me down but I simply told him that we both knew
what they sold for both new and used and I wasn't budging. He forked over
the asking price.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Old July 10th 04, 03:46 PM
Alun

"me" wrote in

Personally, I believe Amateur Radio Licenses should cost $75 per year
for regulatory fees and the Commission should elimanate testing. I
also believe that is how it will eventually be in the near future.

73,

Me

"Burp not Burr" wrote in message
groups.com...

"Minnie Bannister" wrote in
message ...
The fee for a Vanity Call will rise on August 6 from $16.30 to
$20.80. This is for a 10-year license.

Doing the math, that comes out to about $2.08
per year, or 0.0057 CENTS per-day over the
course of a 10-Year period...........

How much do you wanna bet however that the
average traditionally el-cheapo ham radio operator
will ****-and-moan like a stuck pig over a 0.0057
Cent-per-day fee...??? (my guess is alot will !)

For example, I was selling at a hamfest in Pa last
month. Had a shoebox full of miniature tubes for
$1.00 each. A real bargain considering tubes are
going for much more on e-Bay. This putz comes
walking up, digs thru the box for 2 minutes and pulls
out *one* tube and wants it for 35 cents. I was willing
to let it go for 75 cents but he wants it for 35 cents.
No deal. He puts it back (tosses it) and gets all
smart-ass saying "you'll sell it to me later for 35 Cents."
The schmuck comes back 1/2 hour later digs it out
and asks for it for 35 Cents again. I say OK, offer to
wrap it, he hands it to me and while he's reachin for his
35 cents, I dropped the tube on the ground and smashed
it with my trusty Nike, then told him I changed my mind
and wanted $1.00 for it. This putz goes completely nuts saying
he's looked all over 4 hamfests for this tube and he
couldn't believe I smashed it. Jumpin up and down like a looney
and me quietly hoping he would have a stroke right there
as he must have weighed 300 pounds. A real "Eddie Slobbo"
fer sure - baaaaaa hahahahah!! I just laughed and offered
him a pleasant balance of the afternoon.

After he left the dealers either side of me were almost teary-eyed
laughing at the spectacle of this event, and we each shared a Pepsi
from my trusty Coleman cooler and had a nice late-lunch at the
pizza hut afterwards.

El-Cheapo hams....always too much FUN to pass up
the opportunity to poke'em-with-a-stick thru the
monkey bars !! : ) : ) : )

You're crazy if you beleive that. I could see the vanity call fee
eventuallly getting that high, but the rest of your prediction is way off.
Old July 10th 04, 08:24 PM
William

Alun wrote in message . ..
"me" wrote in

[...]

Alun, are you saying that its the vanity people that require them most
regulatory attention, and thus should pay more?
Old July 10th 04, 08:49 PM
Alun

(William) wrote in
om:

Alun wrote in message
. ..
"me" wrote in

[...]

No. How could you get that from what I said?

All I am saying, if I have to spell it out, is that there is absolutely
zero probability of theory testing being abolished and not much more
likelihood that fees will be reintroduced for other than vanity calls.

And furthermore, a $75 fee is not in the least likely to reduce bad
behaviour on the air.

Old July 10th 04, 09:05 PM
Mike Coslo

Dee D. Flint wrote:
"Mike Coslo" wrote in message

[snip]
This is America, and you are allowed to ask any price you want for what
you sell. The buyer can also offer any price they want.

I would suggest that if a person is firm on all their prices, and
doesn't want to deal, they might want to sell retail.

Unless, of course, their price is already ridiculously low. I was selling a
used tuner at a hamfest for 1/4 of what a new one would be as I simply
didn't like it, wanted to get a different one, and wanted to be sure to sell
it. A guy tried to bargain me down but I simply told him that we both knew
what they sold for both new and used and I wasn't budging. He forked over
the asking price.

At 1/4 price, sure! I usually won't buy above 1/2 of currently
manufactured price. Elswise, I'm happy to buy new, with a warrantee and
I'm also not buying someone elses problems. My main point in this whole
discussion is that there are a lot of sellers that seem to hate buyers.
The Carny vs Rube thing.

- Mike KB3EIA -

Old July 10th 04, 09:37 PM
Dee D. Flint

"Mike Coslo" wrote in message

Dee D. Flint wrote:
"Mike Coslo" wrote in message

[...]

My point was that he STILL tried to bargain me down even though we both knew
it was already lower than it should have been.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Old July 10th 04, 11:22 PM
clifto

Dee D. Flint wrote:
Doubtful that testing would be eliminated. International treaties require
that there is proof the operators meet minimum qualifications.

They used to require Morse code. The testing requirements could be
removed just as easily as the Morse requirements were.

--
Spammers are people who are too lazy and cowardly to rob liquor stores, but
still want to make money by stealing instead of working.
Old July 11th 04, 12:50 AM
JJ

me wrote:

Since when does the US care about so called ``treaties."

Since when does anyone here care about you?