Old January 10th 05, 03:54 AM
Conan Ford

dxAce wrote in :

And it wasn't sold by Radio-Mart!

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Funny you mention that---after I looked through the listing, read about the
damage and wear, and with the high price in mind, I immediately scrolled up
to check if it was Radio-Mart that was selling it.
Old January 10th 05, 05:23 AM
m II

Radioman390 wrote:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ayphotohosting

I needed some old cabinet to hold my broken and rusted Leica and Hasselblad
scrap heap. It was getting hard to walk around the Media Room without
stubbing my manicured toes on some loose collectible.

I mean..think about it. What's more important? My toenails or a lousy fifty
grand?

michael II
Old January 10th 05, 06:34 AM
Evan Platt

On 9 Jan 2005 15:11:57 -0800, "Invader3K"
wrote:

Forgive my ignorance, but what is so special about this radio that
would fetch such an obscenely high amount of money? I wonder if the bid
is a joke. Good luck to the seller on collecting that.

For a auction to reach a skyrocketed price on eBay, TWO people need to
be involved (if the bid is a 'joke'.

Based on the proxy bidding system, let's say someone sells a widget
that's worth $500. If someone bids $500.00, and then the 'jokester'
comes and bids $50,000. The 'bid' is actually the next increment of
$500 - probably like $505. And that is what the auction will close at.

Old January 10th 05, 12:46 PM
Mark S. Holden

wrote:

Forgive my ignorance, but what is so special about this radio that
would fetch such an obscenely high amount of money? I wonder if the bid
is a joke. Good luck to the seller on collecting that.

For a auction to reach a skyrocketed price on eBay, TWO people need to
be involved (if the bid is a 'joke'.

Based on the proxy bidding system, let's say someone sells a widget
that's worth $500. If someone bids $500.00, and then the 'jokester'
comes and bids $50,000. The 'bid' is actually the next increment of
$500 - probably like $505. And that is what the auction will close at.

There is an exception to the "you need two bidders to drive the price
up" rule.

If an auction hasn't met reserve yet, it will go from wherever it is to
the amount of the reserve the first time someone bids high enough.

On this radio, the reserve was set at $50,000.

Two bidders had maxed out tied at $28,700. The last guy came along and
bid at least $50,000 so the auction went right up to that.

The bid may or may not have been a joke. If it was my auction, and it
involved that kind of dollars, I think I'd have relisted it by now.

Old January 10th 05, 01:12 PM
dxAce

wrote:

Forgive my ignorance, but what is so special about this radio that
would fetch such an obscenely high amount of money? I wonder if the bid
is a joke. Good luck to the seller on collecting that.

For a auction to reach a skyrocketed price on eBay, TWO people need to
be involved (if the bid is a 'joke'.

Based on the proxy bidding system, let's say someone sells a widget
that's worth $500. If someone bids $500.00, and then the 'jokester'
comes and bids $50,000. The 'bid' is actually the next increment of
$500 - probably like $505. And that is what the auction will close at.

There is an exception to the "you need two bidders to drive the price
up" rule.

If an auction hasn't met reserve yet, it will go from wherever it is to
the amount of the reserve the first time someone bids high enough.

That is correct.

From eBay:

A bid increment will go higher than the standard increment in two situations:
To meet the reserve amount
To beat a competing bidder's high bid

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old January 10th 05, 01:32 PM
RHF

RADIONMAN,
..
It is not silly at all when 3-7 Years later you can sell:
..
The {$130,000} 1967 Mustang for $200K
..
The {$350,000} for a MB Gullwing for $475K
..
The {$250,000} Pembroke Table for $325K
..
The {$10,000} Stamp for $15K
..
For the most part Collecting is usually about Pride of "Possessing"
an Item or about the 'Appreciation' that an Item will being over time.
..
jm2cw ~ RHF
Old January 10th 05, 02:58 PM
Brian Hill

"Tony Meloche" wrote in message

There are certain Gibson Les Pauls and
Martin acoustics that sell easily in the $30,000 range at auction, and
most of them are not played - or even wall-hung. They go into bank
vaults as an "investment". Shrewd money planning, maybe, but that
instrument may never again be used for what it was designed for - making
music. I'll bet there are old Hallicrafters out there you could say the
same thing about. I think that's sad.

Tony

I have a 62 fender strat I still play and my buddy plays a 50s goldtop Les
Paul. Heck DXAce plays a fender Broadcaster that's worth a small fortune.
Some of us are still playing these things. Thank God!

B.H.

Old January 10th 05, 03:09 PM
dxAce

Brian Hill wrote:

"Tony Meloche" wrote in message

There are certain Gibson Les Pauls and
Martin acoustics that sell easily in the $30,000 range at auction, and
most of them are not played - or even wall-hung. They go into bank
vaults as an "investment". Shrewd money planning, maybe, but that
instrument may never again be used for what it was designed for - making
music. I'll bet there are old Hallicrafters out there you could say the
same thing about. I think that's sad.

Tony

I have a 62 fender strat I still play and my buddy plays a 50s goldtop Les
Paul. Heck DXAce plays a fender Broadcaster that's worth a small fortune.
Some of us are still playing these things. Thank God!

Not entirely correct. The Broadcaster(s) was sold.

dxAce
Michigan
USA