Old January 27th 05, 06:50 PM
Dale Parfitt

"Lucky" wrote in message

"Dale Parfitt" wrote in message
news:Lp6Kd.1957$u45.16@trnddc08...

"Lucky" wrote in message

"Dave Holford" wrote in message
. ..
Lucky wrote:
Is this mainly a program listening rig?
How is the SSB on it with no PBT or shift?

I guess you can't even compare it to a Drake R8 huh??

Any opinions?

Thanks
Lucky
The SSB is excellent; the synchronous AM, all 4 options, works great;
as
do the AM and AMN.

Dave

But how can it be that good in SSB with no PBT or shift? Explain..

Lucky

What does PBT or IF shift have to do with tuning SSB? These controls

are
for moving the filter response across the passband, and have no effect

on
fidelity other than perhaps hurting it off moved too far.

The difference between the R8 and the Lowe is that the Lowe is built
tremendously better and the Sync modes work as well if not better.

Dale W4OP

What does it have to do with it? There are many SSB stations I would have

listen to with loads of interference if I didn't have them.
Some I wouldn't be able to continue listening to at all.

Lucky

Hi Lucky,

I build most of my receivers, including the crystal filters- the Lowe being
the exception. None have PBT but the do have excellent 8 to 12 pole crystal
filters with exceptional group delay- I have never missed PBT on them or the
Lowe. My IC756 PRO has tiwn PBT and although it is occasionally a help, I
have yet to find a station that I can copy on the PRO that I cannot copy on
the Lowe or the homebrews.
Bottom line- I'd take better crystal filters over PBT any day.
Dale W4OP

Old January 28th 05, 03:36 AM
Lucky

"Michael Black" wrote in message

"Lucky" ) writes:
Is this mainly a program listening rig?
How is the SSB on it with no PBT or shift?

Those are both bells and whistles, very uncommon even thirty years ago,
and only slowly moving into more common appearance, and towards lower
priced equipment.

Good SSB means good stability, good selectivity (sufficiently narrow,
and sharp skirts) and a product detector. If it's got that, then it's
good for SSB.

The other things may help under some conditions, but people have lived
without them.

Micahel

I guess you can't even compare

it to a Drake R8 huh??
Any opinions?

Thanks
Lucky

Ok guys thank you. I use the PBT to get the tone and any little drop of
interference to my liking. I'll reevaluate my use of it.

Lucky

Old January 28th 05, 04:46 AM
Mark S. Holden

Lucky wrote:

snip
Ok guys thank you. I use the PBT to get the tone and any little drop of
interference to my liking. I'll reevaluate my use of it.

Lucky

Hey, if you're happy with the results you get when using it, keep using
it.

Old January 28th 05, 06:57 AM
starman

Dale Parfitt wrote:

I build most of my receivers, including the crystal filters- the Lowe being
the exception. None have PBT but the do have excellent 8 to 12 pole crystal
filters with exceptional group delay- I have never missed PBT on them or the
Lowe. My IC756 PRO has tiwn PBT and although it is occasionally a help, I
have yet to find a station that I can copy on the PRO that I cannot copy on
the Lowe or the homebrews.
Bottom line- I'd take better crystal filters over PBT any day.
Dale W4OP

Where do you get your ceramic IF filters?

Old January 28th 05, 07:02 PM
Dale Parfitt

"starman" wrote in message
Dale Parfitt wrote:

I build most of my receivers, including the crystal filters- the Lowe

being
the exception. None have PBT but the do have excellent 8 to 12 pole

crystal
filters with exceptional group delay- I have never missed PBT on them or

the
Lowe. My IC756 PRO has tiwn PBT and although it is occasionally a help,

have yet to find a station that I can copy on the PRO that I cannot copy

on
the Lowe or the homebrews.
Bottom line- I'd take better crystal filters over PBT any day.
Dale W4OP

Where do you get your ceramic IF filters?

I build crystal filters, not ceramic.

Dale W4OP

Old January 29th 05, 12:26 AM

Lucky wrote:
Is this mainly a program listening rig?
How is the SSB on it with no PBT or shift?

I guess you can't even compare it to a Drake R8 huh??

Any opinions?

Thanks
Lucky

Speaking of HF-150s, there's one on Ebay right now:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW

Could be an interesting auction.

Funny thing is, I noticed a Satellit 700 up for auction as well:

The bidding on the 700 is already up to a whopping (and mind boggling)
$565.00. I'll bet the Lowe goes for significantly less than this. I
really do believe that Ebay is a great marketplace for tabletop
receivers and some 'portatops', but not so good (and occasionally
terrible) for portables.

Steve

Old January 31st 05, 11:28 AM
Lucky

wrote in message
oups.com...

Lucky wrote:
Is this mainly a program listening rig?
How is the SSB on it with no PBT or shift?

I guess you can't even compare it to a Drake R8 huh??

Any opinions?

Thanks
Lucky

Speaking of HF-150s, there's one on Ebay right now:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW

Could be an interesting auction.

Funny thing is, I noticed a Satellit 700 up for auction as well:

The bidding on the 700 is already up to a whopping (and mind boggling)
$565.00. I'll bet the Lowe goes for significantly less than this. I
really do believe that Ebay is a great marketplace for tabletop
receivers and some 'portatops', but not so good (and occasionally
terrible) for portables.

Steve

That Lowe 150 went for $465 and it didn't even have a US power supply. Was
it worth that price? How much would it have been worth if you could find one
with a keypad for it too??

Thanks
Lucky

Old January 31st 05, 01:35 PM
Mark S. Holden

Lucky wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...

Lucky wrote:

[...]

Mike Maghakian offered one here for $425 a few weeks ago - that was a
good deal.

My impression is the one on ebay closed around the middle of the range
they normally do.