Old August 12th 05, 11:21 PM
RHF

David - Somewhere I read that if every household
in the USA used just one or the newer CF Bulbs.
It would Save One Day of Imported Oil per Year.
Old August 12th 05, 11:24 PM
David

On 12 Aug 2005 15:21:16 -0700, "RHF"
wrote:

David - Somewhere I read that if every household
in the USA used just one or the newer CF Bulbs.
It would Save One Day of Imported Oil per Year.
.
america it's time to re-light-up !
says my little peanut brain ~ RHF
. . . . .

How about if every household used 10 of them?

What about ''peaker'' plants?

Old August 13th 05, 05:11 AM
Brenda Ann

"Jeff" wrote in message

"David" wrote in message

On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 18:33:03 GMT, "Jeff"

Forests used to act as cabon sinks and a state of approximate
equilibrium was maintained. Deforestation contributes to global
warming in a couple ways.

Im sure you meant "carbon" dioxide sinks and I agree. Every
green plant sucks up CO/2 and gives off O/2. And yes trees are
cut down,, but all logging companies replant. They arent going to cut
their own throats by not replanting.

MOST logging companies in the US and Canada reforest.. this is not the case
in S. and Central American countries where the forests are being harvested
and replaced with cities.

Old August 13th 05, 05:42 AM
an_old_friend

"David" wrote in message

On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 18:33:03 GMT, "Jeff"

Forests used to act as cabon sinks and a state of approximate
equilibrium was maintained. Deforestation contributes to global
warming in a couple ways.

Im sure you meant "carbon" dioxide sinks and I agree. Every
green plant sucks up CO/2 and gives off O/2. And yes trees are
cut down,, but all logging companies replant. They arent going to cut
their own throats by not replanting.

MOST logging companies in the US and Canada reforest.. this is not the case
in S. and Central American countries where the forests are being harvested
and replaced with cities.

which is why we Americans should do More of our own logging. Indeed
Logging here and replanting in varieities that grow fast and soak up
CO2 we might soak more CO2 as we build our houses, esp as we build ou r
Big houses and the Wood intensive Log facade frame home that the
yuppies are put up as vaction home around here

Old August 13th 05, 02:15 PM
David

On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 02:49:04 GMT, "Jeff"
wrote:

"David" wrote in message ...
On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 18:33:03 GMT, "Jeff"

Forests used to act as cabon sinks and a state of approximate
equilibrium was maintained. Deforestation contributes to global
warming in a couple ways.

Im sure you meant "carbon" dioxide sinks and I agree. Every
green plant sucks up CO/2 and gives off O/2. And yes trees are
cut down,, but all logging companies replant. They arent going to cut
their own throats by not replanting.

A grove of softwood conifers is not nearly as efficient for storing
CO2 as an old growth, mixed forest.

''There are four components of carbon storage in a forest ecosystem.
These are trees, plants growing on the forest floor (understory
material), detritus such as leaf litter and other decaying matter on
the forest floor, and forest soils. Carbon is sequestered in the
process of plant growth as carbon is captured in plant cell formation
and oxygen is released. As the forest biomass experiences growth, the
carbon held captive in the forest stock increases. Simultaneously,
plants grow on the forest floor and add to this carbon store. Over
time, branches, leaves and other materials fall to the forest floor
and may store carbon until they decompose. Additionally, forest soils
may sequester some of the decomposing plant litter through root/soil
interactions.''

Old August 13th 05, 11:28 PM
an_old_friend

wrote:

"David" wrote in message ...
On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 18:33:03 GMT, "Jeff"

Forests used to act as cabon sinks and a state of approximate
equilibrium was maintained. Deforestation contributes to global
warming in a couple ways.

Im sure you meant "carbon" dioxide sinks and I agree. Every
green plant sucks up CO/2 and gives off O/2. And yes trees are
cut down,, but all logging companies replant. They arent going to cut
their own throats by not replanting.

A grove of softwood conifers is not nearly as efficient for storing
CO2 as an old growth, mixed forest.

But those confiers can store it up keep it in stroage in the from of
Buildings while growing and absorbing even CO2

In time the Pine can soak up and keep in storage in our home and
buildings a lot more co2 than the old growth forest can

Old August 14th 05, 12:13 AM

On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 20:18:08 GMT, David wrote:

On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 13:21:19 -0500, "MnMikew"
wrote:

"RHF" wrote in message
roups.com...
MnM,
.
Direct (Screw-In) Halogen Bulbs should be as RF Quiet
as the older 'standard' Incandescent Bulbs.
Some Halogen Desk Lighting Systems use a Transformer

Yes mine are in a fixture and I would imagine there's some kind of
transformer in there.

A ''halogen'' bulb is simply an incandescent with gas, rather than a
vacuum, inside the bulb. It still uses 90% of the energy going into
it to produce heat, rather than visible light.

$8 a bulb is way too high for a CF. Try the 5-packs at Home Depot.

Even that's too much. CFs are crap. After some of the
advertised "long life" ones blew, I started writing the install and
fail dates on the white plastic bases. On average, they last anywhere
from a tenth to a quarter of the advertised number of hours. As soon
as the last of the most recent four-pack fails, I'll send the lot back
under the guarantee. I'd spend the refund on incandescents, but
they'll probably just send another pack of the same ****.

"We're sorry you weren't satisfied with your original
cornholing. Please bend over and we'll do it again for free."
Old August 14th 05, 12:30 AM
Brenda Ann

wrote in message
Even that's too much. CFs are crap. After some of the
advertised "long life" ones blew, I started writing the install and
fail dates on the white plastic bases. On average, they last anywhere
from a tenth to a quarter of the advertised number of hours. As soon
as the last of the most recent four-pack fails, I'll send the lot back
under the guarantee. I'd spend the refund on incandescents, but
they'll probably just send another pack of the same ****.

"We're sorry you weren't satisfied with your original
cornholing. Please bend over and we'll do it again for free."

The unfortunate truth is, those life estimates (though factual for what they
are) are based upon installing a lamp in a test jig, and leaving it to burn
until it burns out. The machine has a light sensor and timer and records the
amount of time the lamp burns.

In the real world, however, we turn our lights on and off, and every time we
turn them on, the current inrush significantly decreases the life expectancy
of the lamp. If we simply left them on, they'd last pretty much as long as
claimed. Look at some of those old incandescents that have been used in
inaccessible places without switches, some of which have lasted for decades.