Old August 14th 05, 11:35 PM
David

On 14 Aug 2005 14:32:44 -0700, "RHF"
wrote:

- - - Correction - - -
.
On the GE Lighting WebSite
http://www.gelighting.com/na/
GE States the Daily Life Cycling is :
* Based on 4 Hours of Consumer Use-per-Day.
http://www.gelighting.com/na/home_li...se/regular.htm
.
Revised : "Life of a 'Test' Light Bulb" Analogy
.
GE's claim Life Cycle Testing Standard is Four (4) Hours a Day
One-On and One-Off Per 24 Hour Period in Theory. This may be
Accelerate by only letting the Bulb 'cool down' for only
48 Minutes and then repeating the Cycle. This would then result
in Five "Daily Use" Cycles in One Day with a 6000 Hour MTBF Life
Cycle Test taking about 300 Days (About 10 Months).
.
yes i got it wrong ;-{ - but now i fixed it ) ~ RHF
. . . . .

I find it amusing that a company that builds power plants also sells
terribly inefficient lighting devices.

Old August 15th 05, 10:43 PM
RHF

DaviD,
Old August 16th 05, 03:49 AM

On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 08:30:42 +0900, "Brenda Ann"
wrote:

wrote in message
.. .
Even that's too much. CFs are crap. After some of the
advertised "long life" ones blew, I started writing the install and
fail dates on the white plastic bases. On average, they last anywhere
from a tenth to a quarter of the advertised number of hours. As soon
as the last of the most recent four-pack fails, I'll send the lot back
under the guarantee. I'd spend the refund on incandescents, but
they'll probably just send another pack of the same ****.

"We're sorry you weren't satisfied with your original
cornholing. Please bend over and we'll do it again for free."

The unfortunate truth is, those life estimates (though factual for what they
are) are based upon installing a lamp in a test jig, and leaving it to burn
until it burns out. The machine has a light sensor and timer and records the
amount of time the lamp burns.

In the real world, however, we turn our lights on and off, and every time we
turn them on, the current inrush significantly decreases the life expectancy
of the lamp. If we simply left them on, they'd last pretty much as long as
claimed. Look at some of those old incandescents that have been used in
inaccessible places without switches, some of which have lasted for decades.

I have a few incandescents (swiched and in daily use0) which
last far longer than the POS CF bulbs.So it's disingenuous 9using my
kindest language) to blare "Outlsts conventionl bulbs 10 - 1" if there
are hidden conditions for that performance. And there's no savings if
I have to run a quarter of the energy four times longer than needed (I
really don't have a need to run my garage lights all day and night) in
order to come up with the specified life.

Old August 16th 05, 05:16 AM

Kind of interesting,I think.The oldest man made lamps were rocks with
melted fat or some kind of oil for light.If the s... hits the fan big
time,we might all be back to rock lamps.Holy Shades of Fred Flintstone!
cuhulin

Old August 16th 05, 05:27 AM

Two green LED lights (Three,one is red if I have email,which I do have
right now,it is probally spam email and I will delete it later on) on
the front of my Philips Magnavox webtv set top box,one green LED light
on my DirecTV set top box,two red LED lights on my MGA/Mitsubishi tv
set,one green LED light on my Brickwall surge filter
www.pricewheeler.com LED lights on my computer and on my Broad Band
router and on my DVD player.I dont like LED lights.I think I will get my
roll of masking tape and cover them over.Invasion of the stupid LED
lights!
cuhulin