Old September 25th 05, 07:36 PM
D Peter Maus

David wrote:
On Sun, 25 Sep 2005 17:26:03 GMT, D Peter Maus
wrote:

David wrote:

On 25 Sep 2005 07:56:42 -0700, "John S." wrote:

Even stand-alone on a table well away from a wall the little radio
overemphasizes the bass. It borders on annoying with male voices on
NPR and other talk programs. That sound is quite popular these days,
witness the mega-bass buttons and rumbly-low speakers popular on home
entertainment systems these days.

Most radio studios are accoustic nightmares. That contributes to the
boomy sound.

As does the atrocious mic technique of most broadcasters these days.

I get tickled no end to see a mic that costs more than my car
virtually in Howard Stern's mouth.

Most jocks believe that eating a mic gives them bigger balls on the
air. Many others believe that it's the only way to overcome bad
acoustics. And then there's the third group that mics outside the
pattern because they believe that it relieves them of plosives. All off
which contribute to a boomy, as distinguished from bassy, sound.

One of my mentors years ago, use to say, you can't overcome weak
talent with poor technique.

He uses a Neuman TLM-170, doesn't he? Hardly the cost of any but the
most humble used car. Nowadays, the Chinese equivalent can be had for
the price of a Taxi ride to the Airport.

He did for awhile. I've also seen him on a U-47.

You've not taken a taxi around here. A ride to the airport can get a
couple of decent mics.

And a hooker for the Grand Opening party at the studio.

http://www.mxlmics.com/condenser_mic...990/mxl990.htm

Old September 25th 05, 07:44 PM
Howard

wrote:

David wrote:

[...]

Pete - are the taxi's that expensive or the hookers that cheap 8-}

http://www.mxlmics.com/condenser_mic...990/mxl990.htm

Old September 25th 05, 07:51 PM

Ever seen the Rick and Bubba tv shows before doing their radio talk
shows on Turner South tv? Every two seconds they are readjusting their
microphones. www.devilfinder.com Rick and Bubba TV Show
cuhulin

Old September 25th 05, 08:18 PM
David

wrote:

He did for awhile. I've also seen him on a U-47.

You've not taken a taxi around here. A ride to the airport can get a
couple of decent mics.

And a hooker for the Grand Opening party at the studio.

http://www.mxlmics.com/condenser_mic...990/mxl990.htm

U-87. Never seen him with a U-47 which is pretty much used
exclusively by vintage queens.

Old September 25th 05, 08:25 PM
D Peter Maus

wrote:

He did for awhile. I've also seen him on a U-47.

You've not taken a taxi around here. A ride to the airport can get a
couple of decent mics.

And a hooker for the Grand Opening party at the studio.

http://www.mxlmics.com/condenser_mic...990/mxl990.htm

U-87.

I said U-47, I meant U-47.

Never seen him with a U-47 which is pretty much used
exclusively by vintage queens.

Pretty much, yes. And I've seen him eating one.

One of my colleagues in the company, said they were so horrified at
his mic technique and the terrible sound as a result, that they removed
the U-47 and started cycling other mics in and out. Until they found one
that would work on him.

Old September 25th 05, 10:18 PM
David

wrote:

He did for awhile. I've also seen him on a U-47.

You've not taken a taxi around here. A ride to the airport can get a
couple of decent mics.

And a hooker for the Grand Opening party at the studio.

http://www.mxlmics.com/condenser_mic...990/mxl990.htm

U-87.

I said U-47, I meant U-47.

Never seen him with a U-47 which is pretty much used
exclusively by vintage queens.

Pretty much, yes. And I've seen him eating one.

One of my colleagues in the company, said they were so horrified at
his mic technique and the terrible sound as a result, that they removed
the U-47 and started cycling other mics in and out. Until they found one
that would work on him.

I have never seen him with one of those.

I prefer the Pearl/Milab series for Euro mics, but the MXLs sound
really excellent.

Old September 25th 05, 10:36 PM
D Peter Maus

wrote:

He did for awhile. I've also seen him on a U-47.

You've not taken a taxi around here. A ride to the airport can get a
couple of decent mics.

And a hooker for the Grand Opening party at the studio.

http://www.mxlmics.com/condenser_mic...990/mxl990.htm

U-87.

I said U-47, I meant U-47.

Never seen him with a U-47 which is pretty much used

exclusively by vintage queens.

Pretty much, yes. And I've seen him eating one.

One of my colleagues in the company, said they were so horrified at
his mic technique and the terrible sound as a result, that they removed
the U-47 and started cycling other mics in and out. Until they found one
that would work on him.

I have never seen him with one of those.

I prefer the Pearl/Milab series for Euro mics, but the MXLs sound
really excellent.

You know my preferences are for the GT series in economy mics, but I
do like a good German sound when it's practical. Germans like their
audio the way they like their women: Big Bottom. But I've got to agree
with you on the Milab products. Big bang for the buck. My first contact
with Milab was when I set up my independent room in Texas in the early
80's. Cheaper than the AKG's at that point and far less picky about
staging. Marshalls I can take or leave. Although I buy their shock
mounts by the bucket for field work. They work and they're not
expensive. When one or two walk away at the end of a show, it's not a
great loss.

And to at least pay lip service to the group topic, SW broadcasters,
as a general rule, excluding Weiner and the spate of religious
broadcasters out there, tend to have a better mic technique than
domestic broadcasters. VOA, BBC, CBC, RA, RNZ, RNW, and especially DW
work a discreet distance from the mic, in an acoustically smooth room.

It's for small details like that that DRM would be of advantage: to
finally get to receive and appreciate the effort they put into their audio.
Old September 25th 05, 11:37 PM
David

On Sun, 25 Sep 2005 21:36:43 GMT, D Peter Maus
wrote:

And to at least pay lip service to the group topic, SW broadcasters,
as a general rule, excluding Weiner and the spate of religious
broadcasters out there, tend to have a better mic technique than
domestic broadcasters. VOA, BBC, CBC, RA, RNZ, RNW, and especially DW
work a discreet distance from the mic, in an acoustically smooth room.

It's for small details like that that DRM would be of advantage: to
finally get to receive and appreciate the effort they put into their audio.

Your typical USA radio studio is way too dead. An RT60 of around 600
ms makes a voice spring into life. And if there must be a desk it
should be treated and trapped if necessary. A lot of rooms could be
helped tremendously by ripping out the rug and adding a bass trap.

Old September 26th 05, 03:05 AM

How about tacking a lot of empty egg cartons all over the walls and
ceiling to quieten the room down?
cuhulin

Old September 26th 05, 03:13 AM

www.devilfinder.com Sound deadning materials for radio broadcasting
rooms

devilfinder.com says,What the H..! Don't you mean: Sound deadening
materials for radio broadcasting rooms? If you say so,devilfinder.com,I
reckon that's what I mean.
cuhulin

Tivoli Audio Model 2 SR Shortwave 15 August 25th 05 04:56 AM
terrible TIVOLI MODEL ONE £­ rubber band£¬ fingerprint£¬ hotmelt glue£¬internal antenna [email protected] Shortwave 6 April 10th 05 02:46 PM
FS 1930's Antique Philco model 80 jr Radio Mike Kulyk Equipment 0 October 22nd 04 02:54 PM
Sony 620X vs. 640 car SW James Boyk Shortwave 4 June 11th 04 08:10 PM
Tivoli to offer Sirius capability David Shortwave 0 January 11th 04 09:15 PM