Old November 9th 05, 02:02 AM
junius

Default Who put your Eton E1 together?

Hmmm, so according to Passport to World Band Radio, the E1 was
manufactured at Bharat Electronics in Bangalore.

Bharat Electronics website:
http://www.bel-india.com/Website/Asp/HomePage.htm

FAS profile on Bharat Electronics:
http://www.fas.org/nuke/guide/india/contractor/bel.htm

Jai Hind.

junius

Old November 9th 05, 04:23 AM
mike maghakian

if wonder if Eton didn't like the poor construction quality of the 800 and
jumped ship to another manufacturer

oups.com...

Old November 9th 05, 04:45 AM
m II

mike maghakian wrote:

if wonder if Eton didn't like the poor construction quality of the 800 and
jumped ship to another manufacturer

They probably didn't want to take a chance people would associate the
new radio with the with the old factory.

That and the fact that they've shown they WILL use another manufacturer
if needed puts them in a much better bargaining position when
negotiating the next pricing round.

Hopefully the Indian sets are so noticeably better that they will become
long term partners. It's always nicer buying stuff made in a
democratic country than made in a totalitarian fascist State.

China stopped being communist when the government adopted the Corporate
State.system of commerce.It's still a police state, but the politicos
are getting very wealthy.

mike
Old November 9th 05, 03:02 PM
junius

Yeah, well, what was kind of interesting in the Federation of American
Scientist profile was the first paragraph:

"Bharat Electronics Ltd. (BEL) was established in 1954 to meet the
Defence needs of the Government of India. Three units of BEL, located
in Bangalore, Hyderabad & Ghaziabad, were included on the list of
Indian entities that were subjected to US sanctions announced after the
May 1998 nuclear tests. Added to the US sanctions, these units are also
faced with passive sanctions from some European countries."

In any case, the U.S. sanctions against BEL were subsequently removed.

Business profile: http://in.biz.yahoo.com/p/b/baje.bo.html

Old November 9th 05, 03:23 PM
John S.

junius wrote:
Hmmm, so according to Passport to World Band Radio, the E1 was
manufactured at Bharat Electronics in Bangalore.

Bharat Electronics website:
http://www.bel-india.com/Website/Asp/HomePage.htm

FAS profile on Bharat Electronics:
http://www.fas.org/nuke/guide/india/contractor/bel.htm

Jai Hind.

junius

Welcome to the world of global manufacturing and trading. In this case
whether the label says "Grundig" or "Eton" is really no indication of
where it was made. At one time Grundig made radios first in Germany
then in Portugal. The owners of the Grundig and Eton names now sell
radios that were assembled in one or more locations with parts that
come from all manner of countries.

This is nothing new. Those two giants of Japan, Seiko and Sony both
make many of their products in off-shore locations with parts from
suppliers in many countries. Take a good close look at the country of
origin for many parts in your car - you might be surprised at how
multinational your vehicle really is.

Is there a specific reason we should be concerned that "Eton" or
"Grundig" radios are made in one or more of locations like: India,
China, Singapore, Taiwan, Mexico, Brazil?

Old November 9th 05, 05:11 PM

How many radios are actually manufactured in Amrtica now,two or three?
How long will that last? I suppose most of the parts are made in other
countries.I believe that is something to be concerned about.China will
be selling Chinese manufactured cars and vans in U.S.A.in a year or two
at about thirty to forty percent less price than similar American
manufactured vehicles,thanks to Malcom Bricklin.
cuhulin

Old November 9th 05, 05:33 PM
junius

This is nothing new.

Well, the "Manufactured in India" part is rather novel for a shortwave
set.

I had posted the original message simply because I found the company's
history interesting, not out as any commentary on global
manufacturing/trade.

In any case, it actually is reassuring that it's not being put together
by the Tecsun folks.

junius

Old November 9th 05, 05:50 PM
John S.

junius wrote:
This is nothing new.

Well, the "Manufactured in India" part is rather novel for a shortwave
set.

I suppose, but I wouldn't give it much thought. If the China and India
combine into some sort of Asian Union then watch out, because it will
be a real economic force.

I had posted the original message simply because I found the company's
history interesting, not out as any commentary on global
manufacturing/trade.

In any case, it actually is reassuring that it's not being put together
by the Tecsun folks.

I don't know who actually designed the Eton E1 - it could have been
Tecsun or Degen I suppose. I believe that Tecsun is part of Degen and
that the Eton radios come from one or more of their factories. Whether
Degen/Tecsun farms out production to another company in India probably
isn't as important as the original design and quality control applied
during production.

junius

Old November 9th 05, 05:55 PM
Mark Zenier

In article ,
mike maghakian wrote:
if wonder if Eton didn't like the poor construction quality of the 800 and
jumped ship to another manufacturer

Eton is probably like all the other US "import 'em and sell 'em"
consumer electronics "Brand"s. Every product in their line may
be made by a different factory.

And the reverse, every similar unit in a store may be made
by the same factory, despite what company's name is on the box.

One example I know of was the Koss CD/Cassette Boombox I had. The
same unit was available from Radio Shack, RCA, and several other
labels. Lurking in sci.electronics.repair a couple of years ago,
just about everybody's VCR from Sony down to Walmart trash was the
same Funai unit with a bit different packaging.

One check is to look at the FCC ID number that anything that has
a microcomputer in it has to have to show that it was tested for
radio interference. Often the importer won't bother to have their
own check done and will just leave the unit with the factory's
registry number.

Mark Zenier