Old April 20th 06, 08:34 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
John S.

Default Question - Degen DE1108 - Will It Be A Super Radio ? - Or just another 'portable' radio that missed the mark ?

junius wrote:
John S. wrote:

Near as I can tell from the Radiointel article it is transled from a
foreign (probably chinese) website. It may be just manufacturer specs.
I believe delivery is 4th quarter 2006 maybe? If so the radio would
seem to have potential, but I'll reserve judgement until it is no
longer vaporware and someone has really tested it.

14 inches wide and 6 D batteries is a bit too chunky for my taste.

I'll be interested in seeing what finished product emerges. As it is
now, though, any details seem to be various rumors gleened from
internet message boards. And who knows what validity that stuff holds.
I wouldn't start holding my breath for a release date until at least
we begin seeing some prototype images floating about...

In any case, I don't mind the 6 D cells....consumption rate would be a
something I'd be interested in, though. I wouldn't simply assume that
the radio is going to be easy on batteries because of the number and
size used... The Sat 800, for instance, is a battery hog. I'd be
surprised, though, if the consumption rate were as excessive as that of
the Sat 800. Battery consumption rate was one of my first questions
when the E1 came out. Thankfully, it's okay on this account. But with
these types of radios, one shouldn't expect the sorta long battery life
as you see on something like the S350.

Yes, if it has 2 speakers to drive then 6 d cells may be needed. Still
I'm amazed at how well Degen did with the other radio I'm familiar
with. The DE1103 is surprisingly easy on rechargable NIMH batteries
considering the good loud audio that comes from the speaker and
headphones. It would be even longer lived on regular alkalines I'm
sure. Degen may be able to wring some good loud audio from the 1108
and not eat through batteries too fast.

Old April 21st 06, 04:28 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Buzzygirl

"junius" wrote in message
oups.com...

How is Kaito on dealing with repair/warranty issues? Has anyone ever
had a Kaito repaired under warranty? Seems like with any real
problems, it'd be cheaper for them to just send out a new one w/the
models currently available...

I've had three Kaito/Degen models, and none of them have needed repair. But
if one needed repair, I'd probably just spring for a new one, rather than
send the busted one back to China.

Jackie

Old April 21st 06, 04:29 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
m II

Default Suggestions for the DE1108

HFguy wrote:

You can tell by the weight of a rechargable D-cell if it's really a 'C'
or 'AA' inside. The *real* D-cells are much heavier. You can still buy
real rechargable D-cells but they're expensive. I have some Panasonic
D-cell NiCd's that cost about $12.00 each. They have a capacity of
5000-mah. They're about five years old and still going strong.

5000 mah? Impressive. Not even the curmudgeon 'Ace' could call that
limp wristed.

mike
Old April 21st 06, 11:27 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
HFguy

m II wrote:
HFguy wrote:

You can tell by the weight of a rechargable D-cell if it's really a
'C' or 'AA' inside. The *real* D-cells are much heavier. You can still
buy real rechargable D-cells but they're expensive. I have some
Panasonic D-cell NiCd's that cost about $12.00 each. They have a
capacity of 5000-mah. They're about five years old and still going
strong.

5000 mah? Impressive. Not even the curmudgeon 'Ace' could call that
limp wristed.

mike

I got the high capacity Panasonic D-cells primarily for a bicycle light
system. It uses five of them in series for 6-volts. They will power a
ten watt headlight for about three hours. In the off season I use them
for other things.