Old February 5th 07, 01:33 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default The Awesome Razor

73 Yuri da BUm da father of Razors

QST April 1972
Old February 5th 07, 03:11 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"Christopher Cox" wrote in message

73 Yuri da BUm da father of Razors

QST April 1972

What about it?

BUm

Old February 5th 07, 01:31 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Yuri Blanarovich wrote:
"Christopher Cox" wrote in message

73 Yuri da BUm da father of Razors

QST April 1972

What about it?

BUm

Apr-72 Fundamental Raser Principles Pg56

Whoop's swapped a 's' with the 'z'... :-)

I believe Wes had the right idea though.
Old February 5th 07, 02:29 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Yuri Blanarovich wrote:
"Christopher Cox" wrote in message

73 Yuri da BUm da father of Razors

QST April 1972

What about it?

BUm

Apr-72 Fundamental Raser Principles Pg56

Whoop's swapped a 's' with the 'z'... :-)

I believe Wes had the right idea though.

...and "e" for "o" - seems that was April fool's take on Laser - Raser.

Are you challenging my fatherhood of Razors? :-)
Razor Beam applies to optimized Quad - Yagi elementary antenna design, not
to be confused with Overback's "Quagi" - where he replaced reflector and
driven element in a particular Yagi design.
I have series of designs from 3 el. quad to 10 el. Razors.

Razor was named after being so sharp, cutting through the pileups and
shaving the bands clean, jus' one chapter in my fooling with antennas.

73 Yuri, K3BU, VE3BMV
still da father of da Razor Beam

Old February 5th 07, 03:41 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

..and "e" for "o" - seems that was April fool's take on Laser - Raser.

It absolutely is!

Are you challenging my fatherhood of Razors? :-)

I absolutely was!

Razor Beam applies to optimized Quad - Yagi elementary antenna design, not
to be confused with Overback's "Quagi" - where he replaced reflector and
driven element in a particular Yagi design.
I have series of designs from 3 el. quad to 10 el. Razors.

Razor was named after being so sharp, cutting through the pileups and
shaving the bands clean, jus' one chapter in my fooling with antennas.

And there is/was my confusion. You were referring to a valid antenna
design where I thought you were joking around.

Sorry.

But being interested in quad endfire arrays, I will read of your work
with great interest.

Regards,

Chris

Old February 5th 07, 08:41 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Razor Beam applies to optimized Quad - Yagi elementary antenna design,
not
to be confused with Overback's "Quagi" - where he replaced reflector and
driven element in a particular Yagi design.
I have series of designs from 3 el. quad to 10 el. Razors.

Razor was named after being so sharp, cutting through the pileups and
shaving the bands clean, jus' one chapter in my fooling with antennas.

And there is/was my confusion. You were referring to a valid antenna
design where I thought you were joking around.

Sorry.

But being interested in quad endfire arrays, I will read of your work with
great interest.

Regards,

Chris

Hi Chris,

Based on my hardware 2m modeling, my and others conclusion is that going
over 5 elements, quad array does not provide more gain per boomlength than
Yagi.
This is why I tried to come up with design that would provide maximum gain
per boom length, 50 ohm impedance and clean pattern - Quad/Yagi combination.
My conclusion then was that one quad element before and after driven (cell)
element and rest should be Yagis.
Now I am playing with dual polarization designs, where quad elements are
only "dumb" enough to not know which polarization they are at. By switching
or phasing driven element one can take advantage of that property.
That, combined with new SDR and DSP radios is opening up whole new area.

73 Yuri, K3BU

Old February 5th 07, 11:28 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
art art is offline

snip
Yagi.
snip.
That, combined with new SDR and DSP radios is opening up whole new area.

73 Yuri, K3BU- Hide quoted text -

What is this 'whole new area do you see opening up' have with respect
to antennas and how is it connected to polarization ?
Myself, I anticipate some movement to more compact forms of arrays to
meet WIFI trends , erther way antenna interest is sure to increase in
the
next decade.
Art

Old February 5th 07, 11:48 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"art" wrote in message
ups.com...
snip
Yagi.
snip.
That, combined with new SDR and DSP radios is opening up whole new area.

73 Yuri, K3BU- Hide quoted text -

What is this 'whole new area do you see opening up' have with respect
to antennas and how is it connected to polarization ?

With two antennas and dual SDR receiver you can already swing the pattern
from the antennas in the software. Using dual polarization you can minimize
the efects of fading and take advantage of some noise canceling in DSP -
software. Even now you can see the signals before you can hear them.

Myself, I anticipate some movement to more compact forms of arrays to
meet WIFI trends , erther way antenna interest is sure to increase in
the
next decade.
Art

Good for you!

73 Yuri

Old February 6th 07, 12:08 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Mon, 5 Feb 2007 15:41:38 -0500, "Yuri Blanarovich"
wrote:

Razor Beam applies to optimized Quad - Yagi elementary antenna design,
not
to be confused with Overback's "Quagi" - where he replaced reflector and
driven element in a particular Yagi design.
I have series of designs from 3 el. quad to 10 el. Razors.

Razor was named after being so sharp, cutting through the pileups and
shaving the bands clean, jus' one chapter in my fooling with antennas.

And there is/was my confusion. You were referring to a valid antenna
design where I thought you were joking around.

Now I am playing with dual polarization designs, where quad elements are
only "dumb" enough to not know which polarization they are at.

Hey Yuri,
Will a Razor work better if it is looking out over an infinite salt marsh with
3000 miles of ocean on the horizon, or a sand-soil forested area? Just
curious. Assume 40 meters or maybe 80 meters and lots of height.

Rick K2XT
Old February 6th 07, 01:52 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Hey Yuri,
Will a Razor work better if it is looking out over an infinite salt marsh
with
3000 miles of ocean on the horizon, or a sand-soil forested area? Just
curious. Assume 40 meters or maybe 80 meters and lots of height.

Rick K2XT

Anything works better over salt marsh or water. Vertical polarization takes
more advantage of the "salty" effect.

73 Yuri