Old March 30th 07, 09:15 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default How do I break it to the neighbors

I moved here about seven months ago. There is not HOA, but some neighbors
are rather sensitive to how others keep their property in our modest street
of 34 homes on lots about 70 x 120. I just upgraded to General. So far, I've
got a 40m dipole that is just strung across the back of the roof, but I plan
to string it between a tree and the chimney when I get a chance.

I would appreciate your ideas on how to calm down neighbors that might be
worried about RF interference, appearance, and property value.

GM

Old March 30th 07, 10:07 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Ed Ed is offline

I moved here about seven months ago. There is not HOA, but some
neighbors are rather sensitive to how others keep their property in
our modest street of 34 homes on lots about 70 x 120. I just upgraded
to General. So far, I've got a 40m dipole that is just strung across
the back of the roof, but I plan to string it between a tree and the
chimney when I get a chance.

I would appreciate your ideas on how to calm down neighbors that might
be worried about RF interference, appearance, and property value.

Do they know you're a ham? If not, you could just say its an SWL
antenna. or you could use as small wire as possible to make it fairly
invisible. Not sure what you can do about the feedline, though, for
invisibility... or you could try to put the feedpoint somewhere near an
object that could hide or mask it. I situations like yours, some sort
of vertical might be better....

I wish you luck. I know there are many things I haven't thought of
that may work for you.

Ed K7AAT

Old March 30th 07, 11:39 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

. So far, I've got a 40m dipole that is just strung across the back of the roof, but I plan
to string it between a tree and the chimney when I get a chance.

I would appreciate your ideas on how to calm down neighbors that might be
worried about RF interference, appearance, and property value.

A friggin' WIRE ??? Wow your neighbors are one step away from the funny farm,
aren't they? Paranoia-ville, USA.
Ok, here's what you do, get a picure of a tower farm (check on the web, maybe
W0AIH is a good place to start, or try any of the big dxers listings on
QRZ.com). Then tell your neighbors (only if they ask, don't go looking for
trouble!!) you are thinking of a nice 80 ft tower/beam, but if the dipole
works ok you will probably just keep it. However, if there are any
interference complaints you will put up the tower to "get the antenna up and
away from their houses." And tell them if there are any complaints about a
friggin' piece of WIRE then what have you got to lose by putting up the beam
anyway?
Keep in mind - you only live once. Who do you want to be happy in your
paranoid neighborhood, you or your lousy neighbors?

Rick K2XT
Old March 31st 07, 12:14 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Ed Ed is offline

Keep in mind - you only live once. Who do you want to be happy in
your paranoid neighborhood, you or your lousy neighbors?

Rick K2XT

Rick, sometimes the two do not go hand in hand. If you want to be
happy, sometimes you need keep your neighbors happy, too. Neighbors can
make your life hell if you allow the relationship to deteriorate to that
point. Whether or not you are right or wrong, one really doesn't need to
make enemies of those who live close by.

Ed K7AAT
Old March 31st 07, 12:58 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Rick, sometimes the two do not go hand in hand. If you want to be
happy, sometimes you need keep your neighbors happy, too.

Ed - So you sit there with happy neighbors, huh?
And with your ham rig with no antenna. Some friends those neighbors are.
So if they are really worth having as friends they won't give you trouble
about a silly wire running off your roof.

Rick

Old March 31st 07, 05:11 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Use of thin wire or wire, maybe with suitably colored insulation or
spray paint, should help hide it. If they don't see you install it it
may take weeks for them to notice it. That failure to notice
immediately would go a long way toward countering how big an eyesore
it really is.

Andy adds:
Well, I don't have neighbors but I have a wife who does not see the
existence of outside antennae as an art form. We just moved into
a new house 2 years ago, and recently I decided to get all the ham
gear working again......
I put the dipoles, and a 2 meter gnd plane, in my attic near the
top
of the roofline on the inside.
They work just fine, low SWR, and receive and transmit well......
Being
under a half inch of plywood doesn't alter the characteristics
significantly.
If your roof line will accommodate this, it is a thought....

Also, rather than dipoles, a loaded flagpole or TV antenna mast
would
be another option.....

No way your neighbors could possibly be as picky as my wife.......

I realize that there may be a difference of opinion about mounting
an
antenna in the attic versus on top of the roof, but I've never been
able
to tell any difference in performance for dipoles and gnd planes....
The measure I use is : " When the H F antenna is connected to the
receiver
input, if the ambient noise level rises appreciably, the antenna is
working
just fine ( noise level is due to the cosmos and not receiver
generated) "

Andy W4OAH

Old March 31st 07, 06:24 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"garlicman" None wrote in message
. ..
I moved here about seven months ago. There is not HOA, but some neighbors
are rather sensitive to how others keep their property in our modest

street
of 34 homes on lots about 70 x 120. I just upgraded to General. So far,

I've
got a 40m dipole that is just strung across the back of the roof, but I

plan
to string it between a tree and the chimney when I get a chance.

I would appreciate your ideas on how to calm down neighbors that might be
worried about RF interference, appearance, and property value.

Reverse psychology. You make sure they're glad you're a ham.

You help one neighbor correctly wire an outside GFCI receptacle because you
know how and he doesn't (and he's already tripped the branch breaker six
times with his attempts); you give another neighbor your old CB antenna for
his boat (and you were done with it, anyway); you put an F-series connector
on a piece of RG-6 so the next neighbor can hook up her cable modem in a new
room (and she's a babe, too); you reflow the solder pads on a PC-mount RCA
jack because your neighbor's kid keeps pushing the plug of his video game
into the TV too hard (three times so far -- last time I gave it back with
two short pigtail jumpers so he wouldn't do it again.).

Four neighbors, four stories, all true and there are more. Heck, I could
put an air-search radar antenna on my roof and they wouldn't say anything!

Old March 31st 07, 08:55 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"Jim Higgins" wrote in message
On Fri, 30 Mar 2007 13:15:17 -0700, "garlicman" None wrote:

I moved here about seven months ago. There is not HOA, but some neighbors
are rather sensitive to how others keep their property in our modest
street
of 34 homes on lots about 70 x 120. I just upgraded to General. So far,
I've
got a 40m dipole that is just strung across the back of the roof, but I
plan
to string it between a tree and the chimney when I get a chance.

I would appreciate your ideas on how to calm down neighbors that might be
worried about RF interference, appearance, and property value.

Worries by the neighbors about possible interference in advance of
actual interference are not a good reason to abandon your plans unless
your allergy to pollen is a good reason for your neighbors not to
plant that new flower bed or other flowering shrub or perhaps even to
cut their grass while you're outside. And of course your wife's
migraine condition requires they cut their lawn while she is at work
or shopping, never on a weekend when she is home to hear the noise
that aggravates her condition. Likewise the noise of the power saw
used by your neighbor for his woodworking hobby is annoying to the
peaceful enjoyment of your property and must be curtailed.

I'm not talking confrontation here, just matter of fact casual
conversation without any demands, but every bit of it designed to
balance any picky complaints about your simple dipole with equally
trivial and inconvenient concerns of your own that require lifestyle
changes by your neighbors.

Actually I think we're both jumping the gun because I don't see where
your neighbors have complained yet. Hopefully you're just
over-anticipating their reaction.

Use of thin wire or wire, maybe with suitably colored insulation or
spray paint, should help hide it. If they don't see you install it it
may take weeks for them to notice it. That failure to notice
immediately would go a long way toward countering how big an eyesore
it really is.

Good luck.

Thanks for all the advice. I haven't received any comments from the wire
laying on my roof yet. Several neighbors already know I'm a ham and have no
problem. I've told them about how I can really help out during an big
emergency. The two most uptight residents (one across the street and one
next door) are planning on selling their places this summer. I figure if I
can get a wire in the air, I can always tell the new occupants, "I've had
antennas up since before you moved in."

I do like the idea of being the neighborhood fix-it guy. I want to spread
goodwill, not spite. They all know that I am a beekeeper (no hives on the
property), and will take care of any wasp problems they have. Getting rid of
a bald-faced hornets nest earns some big respect from the neighborhood boys.
More so when I don't wear the white suit!

Also, we're having more young families (like mine) move in. It would be nice
to build some interest among the young boys. Right now the only interest my
8 and 6-year old boys have is playing with the FRS. I'm in no rush.

Old March 31st 07, 01:25 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Fri, 30 Mar 2007 13:15:17 -0700, "garlicman" None wrote:

I moved here about seven months ago. There is not HOA, but some neighbors
are rather sensitive to how others keep their property in our modest street
of 34 homes on lots about 70 x 120. I just upgraded to General. So far, I've
got a 40m dipole that is just strung across the back of the roof, but I plan
to string it between a tree and the chimney when I get a chance.

I would appreciate your ideas on how to calm down neighbors that might be
worried about RF interference, appearance, and property value.

GM

Have the neighbors actually said anything? If not, don't worry about
it and enjoy.

--
73 for now
Buck, N4PGW

One of Marky's neighbors! Not Lloyd II General 4 May 5th 06 01:24 PM
One of Marky's neighbors! Not Lloyd II Policy 4 May 5th 06 01:24 PM
CB antennas and neighbors Glenn S. CB 25 September 22nd 04 03:32 PM
Are your neighbors on enemies list? Radioman390 Shortwave 0 July 3rd 04 11:08 AM
break for the bighawaiian31........break for the cahoona.............. gw CB 0 July 23rd 03 06:31 AM