Old November 10th 14, 07:33 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default Write Off

In article ,
Lostgallifreyan wrote:

I won't patent. I've been reading of the cost in the UK. (All figures are
UKP) 3000 to 6000. Add 10000 give or take not very much to add US protection.
That;s in the first year. You have to add about 4 grand more within a year
and a half, maybe more, and that's ignoring ALL costs of actually defending a
patent! Add those, the costs soar to around 150 grand.

I will not release my code to the public domain unless there is a GUARANTEED
way to prevent patent trolls and sharks from stealing it, a way that does not
extort more money than I may ever earn before I even start to earn it!

As I noted earlier, if you release to the public domain, you cannot
prevent other people from using the idea.

However... if you *publish* your invention, you can often prevent
other people from coming at you years later and accusing you of
infringing *their* patents. Many high-tech companies used to do this
sort of thing... IBM, for example, would often publish new inventions
in the IBM Journal. They'd do this for ideas that they thought were
useful, that they might want to use themselves, which they didn't
think were necessarily worth the time and money to patent.

By doing so, they established the "date of invention" and "date of
first public disclosure" of a new idea. This would prevent other
people from filing patent applications on this specific invention, and
would establish this invention as "prior art".

If there is no such way, then I may release code that strictly emulates an
existing instrument (the Yamaha DX7) in its main funtion, and on the strength
of that, I will hope to find a performer who can afford to take on the
extended code privately as a performing instrument.

Why is it that patents force me to seriously consider ideas of elite
sponsorship that belong to the 16th century?! Has the world of ideas and the
right to profit from original work really progresses so little in all those
years? After all, the only way to win the game is to have already won. I'm
not going to cause myself misery fighting tautologies like that.

I don't think patents are what I should be asking about. The real question
is: how do I defend my work from the patent system while trying to earn money
from it, or share it with the world?

An important question is this: do you want to earn money from it, or
do you want to *prevent* other people from earning money from it?

If you want to do the latter, "patent" and "trade secret" are the only
ways I know of.

If the former, you can publish the idea (establishing a "prior art"
barrier against somebody else trying to patent the same idea), and
then go ahead and sell implementations of that idea under whatever
terms you desire.

You can always *copyright* your *specific* implementations (the actual
code, circuit schematics, and so forth). That's a whole type of
protection which is independent of patents, since it protects specific
examples rather than the underlying idea.

Old November 10th 14, 08:08 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

(David Platt) wrote in newshg7jb-
:

As I noted earlier, if you release to the public domain, you cannot
prevent other people from using the idea.

However... if you *publish* your invention, you can often prevent
other people from coming at you years later and accusing you of
infringing *their* patents. Many high-tech companies used to do this
sort of thing... IBM, for example, would often publish new inventions
in the IBM Journal. They'd do this for ideas that they thought were
useful, that they might want to use themselves, which they didn't
think were necessarily worth the time and money to patent.

By doing so, they established the "date of invention" and "date of
first public disclosure" of a new idea. This would prevent other
people from filing patent applications on this specific invention, and
would establish this invention as "prior art".

Exactly so, and this is one thing I asked yesterday and got no answer for...
what kind of publication is considered 'adequate'? It would have to have some
reasonable guarantee of endurance, or widespread distribution at the time
even if most copies later vanished, no?

(I'm answering this post, it's the first I saw, so please forgive any lack of
response to the other. I will respond, it's just big, and possibly answers
here may make some answers reducndant there.)

(Another side issue, in case Rickman has a way to see this, after killfiling
the thread due to some habitual disruptions spilling from other threads...
I'm ok discussing this with you, I just want to keep it in one thread because
it's already way off-topic, maybe ok here, but risking thread spill to
counter thread spill is not the way I want to go)
Old November 10th 14, 08:16 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

(David Platt) wrote in newshg7jb-
:

An important question is this: do you want to earn money from it, or
do you want to *prevent* other people from earning money from it?

Which I asnwered, emphatically. Easily lost by now, perhaps..
I don't mind other people making money from their work using mine to help do
it. I just don't want them claiming it as their own, and denying ME the right
to earn from my own work! Especially if they want to sit back in their
millions, creating nothing while preening themselves on yet another cruel
aquisition at yet another person's hard earned expense. I will not lift a
finger to help that kind of thing. Dying alone knowing what I have created is
an easier thing to bear. If no part of the world will help me, then no part
of the world will share the work.

If you want to do the latter, "patent" and "trade secret" are the only
ways I know of.

If the former, you can publish the idea (establishing a "prior art"
barrier against somebody else trying to patent the same idea), and
then go ahead and sell implementations of that idea under whatever
terms you desire.

You can always *copyright* your *specific* implementations (the actual
code, circuit schematics, and so forth). That's a whole type of
protection which is independent of patents, since it protects specific
examples rather than the underlying idea.

Absolutely, I'll be doing that anyway. I suspect that it won't be enough, but
it will at least lock down the form it had at some specific time. The problem
is that it's a form of self-publication, I imagine not as solid as a third-
party publication that has already got some public respect. I'm not sure what
'weight' of publication carries enough authority to give good protection
against furture predation.
Old November 10th 14, 08:17 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On 11/10/2014 2:33 PM, David Platt wrote:
In article ,
Lostgallifreyan wrote:

[...]

Unfortunately, this is no longer true. The U.S. law changed last year
such that prior art isn't so important. Nowadays, it's "first to file".

See http://www.uspto.gov/aia_implementat...t_inventor.jsp.

--
==================
Remove the "x" from my email address

==================
Old November 10th 14, 08:22 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"David Platt" wrote in message
So, if you do in fact "put it in the public domain", you would be
doing so in a way which *explicitly* renounces any proprietary rights
to the invention, and deliberately gives up control over how it was
used.

In fact, by rabbiting on endlessly about it in an off-topic polluting thread
he has destroyed any chance that he might have had for a patent.

Old November 10th 14, 08:23 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"Lostgallifreyan" wrote in message
. ..

Exactly so, and this is one thing I asked yesterday and got no answer
for...
what kind of publication is considered 'adequate'?

That is because thos NG is for radio amateurs discussing antennae, and
not for some electronics dabbler in an unrelated topic.

[tapr-announce] write now Stan Horzepa Digital 0 July 7th 09 04:59 AM
Somebody should write to the Delano tx... running dogg Shortwave 4 February 14th 06 05:08 PM
Write your own caption! David Shortwave 7 May 10th 05 03:40 AM
Did Geo write this? U Know Who CB 0 December 24th 04 02:04 AM
Would you like to write about your hobby for one of the UK's top websites? Steve Roche General 0 February 13th 04 10:18 AM