Old September 20th 03, 09:36 PM
Ed Price

There is a major net attack in progress. The Swen worm can bug even
well-protected computers, since the payload arrives as a 106 kB email
attachment. If your mailbox has a 10 MB capacity, then all you need is 90+,
and you admin will automatically start bouncing ALL your incoming mail. In
effect, a Denial of Service fringe benefit for the worm.

In addition to trying to look like an official MS announcement, the worm is
also arriving in the form of a fake notice of undeliverable email. Don't
investigate ANY attachments unless you want to live very dangerously.

Ed
WB6WSN

"J. McLaughlin" wrote in message
YES. MB worth. So many that E-mail drive was filled on Friday. Just
received five in a five minute period.
Not hard to trap, however they are quite a pain. Have yet to get
ISP to block them.
Good luck. Mac N8TT

--
J. Mc Laughlin - Michigan USA
Home:

"Cecil Moore" wrote in message
Is anyone else being deluged with Virus/Worm email messages?
--
73, Cecil
http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Old September 20th 03, 09:37 PM
David or Jo Anne Ryeburn

In article , "Dee D.
Flint" wrote:

I've tried to trap them but the headers and senders, etc are all different.

The "From:" lines are likely forged. Many such worms and viruses pick
recipients and purported senders randomly from the infected computer's
Outlook or Outlook Express address list. If you want to see where the
message really is coming from, examine full headers carefully --
specifically, the "Received: from" lines.

If you have a suggestion on how to stop them, please let us all in on it.

Persuade the universe to cease using unsafe operating system software,
browsers, and e-mail programs coming from Redmond, WA ;-). UNIX, including
the version now marketed by Apple, is pretty safe.

David, ex-W8EZE, whose computers are happily MS-free except for safe 11
year old versions of Word and Excel

--
David or Jo Anne Ryeburn

To send e-mail, remove the letter "z" from this address.
Old September 20th 03, 09:41 PM
Ed Price

"Reg Edwards" wrote in message
Is anyone else being deluged with Virus/Worm email messages?
--

================================

Me too - 2000 per day.

Terrorist attack or just another up-and-coming Bill Gates?

G4FGQ, UK

I don't recall anything in Gates' career that's equivalent to the present
worm attack.
Do you have any factual backup for your off-hand slander?

Ed
WB6WSN

Old September 20th 03, 10:03 PM
pez

Yes.
In the last two or three days.
A lot of them.

pez
SV7BAX

Old September 20th 03, 10:17 PM
Dennis Kaylor

boy looks like you guys are getting the long end of the stick
i have had over 300 emails in the past 24 hours and i would say 100 of
them had virus attachments with them
thank the gods for spam filters and norton antivirus running all the time

Old September 20th 03, 11:00 PM
Richard Clark

On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 12:57:53 -0500, Cecil Moore
wrote:

Is anyone else being deluged with Virus/Worm email messages?

Hi All,

Almost across the board, the problem is glaringly evident, and
certainly one you choose to live with. :-)

the body count associated with those reporting:
1000 overnight last night and about 2500 the day before
over 600
MB worth. So many that E-mail drive was filled on Friday.
2000 per day

Of ten current correspondents, 8 use insecure MS products and their
numbers of incoming mails are easily 10 fold over the two that are
not. (Walt, even though you now use Agent for news reading, you still
use Outlook Express for mail).

My count stands at 0 aside from the usual load of porn that Agent
filters directly into the bit bucket (perhaps one half to one dozen a
day).

This doesn't protect me entirely. My own ISP's newserver (being a
microsoft product) decided to whack out during the Blaster attack by
resetting my cable modem every 15 seconds (through the early hours
when I simply turned off my machine). Through the attack (again, my
machine was still off), I contacted Comcast's service line to get a
fellow pitifully scripted to provide no real answers:
him: "our network is currently down"
me: "are you using MS servers?"
him: "No"
me: "What are you doing about it?"
him: "We are in contact with MS about the problem."
me: (significant silence)
him: (keys banging away) "I cannot ping your modem."
me: "The network is down. Why did you even try?"
him: (significant silence)

For several weeks afterword, their still infected server was sending
infected e-mails in my behalf, using an old address (not even in my
machine anymore after being changed from AT&T) they keep for
forwarding. How do I know I wasn't infected? I corresponded daily
through another ISP (my co-host) without a hitch through the entire
period.

Visit:
http://grc.com/default.htm
to obtain security fixes BEFORE the viruses are diagnosed through
autopsy. I've been living quite free of these problems (aside from
stupid Comcast) WITHOUT ONE MS security (sic) upgrade for 8 years.

Now, as to you having made this choice of product and enjoying the
virtues of all the marketing concepts. MS has clearly described how
to fix these problems by turning all javascript and OLE switches off -
and I might add, never double clicking OE or IE.
feds: "When are you going to take care of these virus problems?"
MS: "Viruses are not our fault, prosecute the lawbreakers."

In today's Business section (Seattle):
"Goodby, Mr. Bill Gates?
Japan, South Korea and China
discuss working to promote Linux"
"But the Redmond-based company
said 'consumers and market forces,
not government preferences, should
determine software selection...'"

8 out of 10 here support MS's agenda, and it shows in the numbers.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC
Old September 20th 03, 11:14 PM
Wedgew

I'm getting 30 to 50 per day and another about half that number of of
messages from my isp stating that they had trapped a virus (blaster worm)

David Robbins wrote:
"Steve" wrote in message
m...

"Cecil Moore" wrote in message

Is anyone else being deluged with Virus/Worm email messages?
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Yes, 14 yesterday and 4 so far this morning.

you must not have many friends who have you in their address book... i got
about 1000 overnight last night and about 2500 the day before.

Old September 20th 03, 11:47 PM
Dave Shrader

Cecil, the virus/worm messages at my QTH got so bad that I went to my
non read mail list at Comcast and deleted over 65 message related to
Microsoft with attachments and file sizes greater than 100K. I had two
days of being flooded with messages containing viri and McAffee kept
deleting them and I had to reboot to get control. Finally, tonight,
Saturday at 6:45 EST, the backlog is temporarily [I hope] cleared off
and I am using Netscape 7.1 again instead of Comcast.

Expolit-MIME.gen and W32/SWEN@MM really flooded the net this weekend.

Deacon Dave, W1MCE
+ + +

Old September 21st 03, 12:06 AM
Mark Keith

Cecil Moore wrote in message ...
Is anyone else being deluged with Virus/Worm email messages?

Only about 800 in the last 3 weeks...Sobigf was a real PIA. All the
servers thought I was sending that crap, being the e-mails are forged.
The "server" notices are as bad a spam as the actual spam or virus
itself as far as clogging bandwidth. Not to mention the 100's of
"microsoft" patches I get. My frigging anti-spam filter probably traps
75-80 funky e-mails a day. I have to weed through them often for
"good" e-mails, or I get so many stacked up, it takes an hour to weed
through them all. I have my anti-spam set to industrial strength. It
catches some "good" emails... MK
Old September 21st 03, 01:27 AM
Irv Finkleman

Cecil Moore wrote:

Is anyone else being deluged with Virus/Worm email messages?
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Last night I downloaded a program called Mailwasher. It is freeware,
and very easy to use. It checks your e-mail while it is still on the
server, and you can delete it from there without having to download
it to your computer. It allows you to check the e-mail addresses
of the originating messages and have them deleted. You can then
just download what you want -- messages from friends. I just went
to Google, typed in Mailwasher, and it took me directly to the
download site. It sure helps here as I have had well over 1500
messages in the past twenty four hours! Only about fifty were wanted.
The problem is that I belong to 8 newsgroups, and that's where a
lot of the email addresses get harvested! This is one of the eight!

I don't think there's much can be done until everyone clears the
virus off their computers. Although I am virus free, it still doesn't
stop the e-mails from coming in!
--
Diagnosed Type II Diabetes March 5 2001