Old April 13th 05, 03:19 AM
Ed

I know I married this truck when I drilled holes in it (An NMO on the
roof, too.) At 96,000 miles I still have the original brakes and
tires.

Nice job! Most guys don't want a 1 3/8 hole in their cab body! Just in
case, though, they DO make rubber hole plugs for that and its associated 3
1/4 inch holes... in case you ever do turn it in for a new model.

Ed K7AAT

Old April 14th 05, 03:58 PM
Jerry

"Ed" wrote in message
. 92.175...

I know I married this truck when I drilled holes in it (An NMO on the
roof, too.) At 96,000 miles I still have the original brakes and
tires.

Nice job! Most guys don't want a 1 3/8 hole in their cab body! Just in
case, though, they DO make rubber hole plugs for that and its associated 3
1/4 inch holes... in case you ever do turn it in for a new model.

Ed K7AAT

I don't mind putting holes in my cars/trucks. I keep 'em so long that, by
the time antennas would be an issue, the car is worth about $500. So I don't
mind and it don't matter!

Jerry
K4KWH

www.qsl.net/k4kwh

Old April 14th 05, 08:34 PM

I just drilled a bunch in one of mine...Typical ball mount, with
four holes total. "One big"...And being the cab is double wall,
I also had to drill holes inside the cab wall also.. That one is
almost at roof top level, at the base... I have a camper on that
truck, "actually both of mine do", and installing an antenna is a
PIA. I'm not overly keen on bumper mounts, except that they do
often allow a long lower mast..The hang is much of that lower mast
is up against my tailgate, and camper back. Not really good...
I decided I only live once, and go for broke.
It's up on the cab, on the drivers side pillar behind my head.
The higher bands work a good bit better there, than the bumper...
It's a tree whacker though...Thats why I always mount on the drivers
side...You have a better chance of getting the "gap" between branches,
when driving down a street. So far, with the little amount I've used
it, it seems to be browning the food. I was on 75m one night, and got
a 20 over 9 from one guy about 200 miles away, with my usual 100w.
Yes, s meter reading doesn't really mean much, but it does indicate
it's
workin...It wasn't that late in the evening either, which was a good
sign.
Usually, for a mobile on 75m, the later it gets, the better in general.

Long haul for sure...In the early PM, when it's mainly up/down NVIS,
a mobile can be the pits compared to the dipoles...But they usually
wake up later when the lower angles started working better..
MK