Old June 23rd 06, 03:01 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.cb
Cecil Moore

Default Elimination of CW is a loss in the number of ways we can communicatewithother.

an_old_friend wrote:
Cecil as good as it is your analogy still fails thanks to the fact that
if I can drunk (and I have no idea wether I can or not) it only means
something In Basketball. now if one inabilty to duck a basketball
barred them from all sports then you rise closer to the level of what
the code test is in the ARS

What you don't seem to realize is that dunking a basketball
and knowing Morse code are equally useful in the ARS.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp
Old June 23rd 06, 03:05 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.cb
an_old_friend

Cecil Moore wrote:
an_old_friend wrote:
Cecil as good as it is your analogy still fails thanks to the fact that
if I can drunk (and I have no idea wether I can or not) it only means
something In Basketball. now if one inabilty to duck a basketball
barred them from all sports then you rise closer to the level of what
the code test is in the ARS

What you don't seem to realize is that dunking a basketball
and knowing Morse code are equally useful in the ARS.

well If Could dunk a basket ball it would be useful in being able to
put up antennas and such, but I begin to see your point
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Old June 23rd 06, 03:13 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.cb
an_old_friend

Dee Flint wrote:
"Cecil Moore" wrote in message
. net...
Dee Flint wrote:

It took me 3 months of daily practice of an hour or more every day to get to
5wpm. That's over 90 hours.

try 5 years at 40minute per day, I frankly prefer not to do the math to
come up with the nuber of hours

and still NO sucess

now of course if you respond to me at all you blame my metohod or my
unkonwn to you teachers etc.

everything to avoid the central issue why is Code knowledge more
important than the rest of Ham radio combined

that is the issue of course I say more important since their question
in pools about cw that tip it from equal to the rest to more important

Old June 23rd 06, 04:25 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.cb
an_old_friend

David G. Nagel wrote:
Cecil Moore wrote:
David G. Nagel wrote:

Deaf persons have succussfully completed the code portion of the
testing at all levels of speed. Some use a vibrator attached to their
wrist. Others us a light. As mentioned elsewhere "never say never".

But that certainly doesn't satisfy the letter of the regulations.
To do that, they must "copy by ear".

No, it does satisfy the alternative methods of copying code as
specified by the FCC.

but never satified the treaty lang on the subject and therefore in
violation of international law

Dave WD9BDZ

Old June 23rd 06, 05:15 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.cb

Why not get rid of the code? Really, why not make the written exam easier?
Just make exams covers enough to make sure some idiot doesn't kill
themselves or some body else.

Have only one class of license called "Amateur Radio License", with full
access to all bands. No matter what class a person holds now it would be
renewed as only "Amateur Radio License". Novices would be grandfathered
in.You couldn't get any worse class of ham than we do with the 20wpm
wonders.

Old June 23rd 06, 07:25 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.cb
an_old_friend

Steveo wrote:
"Dee Flint" wrote:
He is his own biggest enemy.

Dee Flint, N8UZE

He's our tax dollars at work.

you do love elling that lie

Old June 23rd 06, 07:30 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.cb
an_old_friend

Sal M. Onella wrote:
"Dee Flint" wrote in message
. ..

Dee Flint, N8UZE

I don't think you insulted me -- it was whoever said I don't deserve a
license.

I beliveveSal I was being addressed

However, I do think it's a bit of a stretch to say that I can learn code
just because I can speak and understand words. You should see what my raw
typing looks like before I go back and fix it prior to hitting send (or
should I say "sned," which was what I typed the first time -- typically four
or five of those per line.) It's pretty bad.

indeed it likely looks much like what I send to the gruops on many
occasion (sine these folks were never satisfied with even my more
polished work)

I'm thinking of trying to learn the dits and dahs as strings of written dots
and dashes on paper. According to everything I've been told or exposed to,
that is not recommended.

The ARRL VEC will not premite that in code even as an accomdation
All the training says the goal is to perceive each
letter as a consolidated unit of sounds without any intermediate translation
steps. Well, since I'm positive that isn't working, particularly for
characters of four or more elements ... maybe a graphical alternative is in
order.

but it isn't allowed by the largest organiztion involed in code
testing, the erefusual of the Code testing side to enage in any
meanfull compromises is what finaly convinced to to aid and fight the
NoCode cause over some kind of compromise

Old June 23rd 06, 05:11 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.shortwave
an old friend

Dee Flint wrote:
"Sal M. Onella" wrote in message

"Dee Flint" wrote in message
. ..

Typing and reading are visually based. So it makes sense that those are a
problem. But do you have difficulty saying words or hearing them? Just
because the typing is a problem, doesn't mean that the aural/spoken is a
problem. Reading/writing is a different activity than hearing/speaking and
uses different parts of the brain. While I can't imagine a graphical method
working for a dyslexic since it's visual, who can say for sure.

you claim to have certain knowledge of whta is and isn't possible

By the way, I still have problems with longer characters now and then or
combinations of certain characters. I had an awful time trying to copy a
call sign in a contest that began with SH5 (3 dots, 4 dots, 5 dots).

and you dare claim it must be doable by everyone else

you lies are becomeing tangled Dee

Dee Flint, N8UZE

Old June 23rd 06, 05:18 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.shortwave
an old friend

Dee Flint wrote:
"Cecil Moore" wrote in message
. com...
Dee Flint wrote:

73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

You have extracted something from my post that was never there. No one has
ever said that the purpose of hams knowing code was to hear a ship sending
an SOS.

wrong again Dee Flint amny have said exactly that wether you have ever
been amoug them

In addition, he might have a light rigged for cw, which he could see as he
moved about the room.

backpedal

Digital modes fail on a regular basis due to static, auroras, etc.

they do

How many times, say during Katrina did this occour

or for that matter name an insitance where digital mode failed , in an
emergency and Cw encoded morse got through and saved the day

It's a
good idea to have a non-voice, non-computer alternative.

why?

a clear alternive is to increase the over all number of stations to
decrease the chance that progation will fail to devlier the message
some where

and How does CW testing produce a working CW listening station

Dee Flint, N8UZE

Old June 23rd 06, 05:19 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.shortwave
an old friend

Dee Flint wrote:
"DrDeath" wrote in message
"Steveo" wrote in message

LOL, I sure have no interest in CW. I must still be young :-P

The highest level of interest for learning the code is among the young.

then based on the seenses at VE testing Morse Code is truly doomed

why is it that you want tot eh ARS to go down with it?

Dee Flint, N8UZE