Old August 16th 05, 06:24 AM
Steve Sobol

Default For sale: Interest in LPTV station. or "how I stopping worrying

Bob Haberkost wrote:
"Meyer Gottesman" wrote in message

| For sale: Partial interest in nice LPTV commercial
| station in Rehoboth Beach, Delaware.

Steve - would you please stop clearing these? I've asked Mr Gottesman,
nicely, if it made sense to continue to flog this dog to uninterested
eyes....once, maybe twice, is fair. But this is excessively annoying, and
pointless.

This is why we need a charter, although no one seemed to care last time I
brought the subject up.

Mr. Gottesman....nobody wants your stinkin' "opportunity". If it was such
a great deal, then why is it that Viacom, or Disney, or half a dozen other
big players don't want a piece of your action? I'll tell you
why....Rehoboth Beach is *dead* from October through May, because the
water's too stinking cold, and it snows, usually. Then in July, the
thermometer goes above 90, and sticks there until about September 20th.
Not exactly what I'd call "prime" real estate. A nice summer getaway,
maybe, but not a place where advertising revenue can be generated
throughout the year.

I know absolutely nothing about Delaware, but I'd say that there's probably
not much point in continuing to post about this particular property if no
one's responded yet. It has been a while since I saw the first post about it...

Company website: http://JustThe.net/
E: Snail: 22674 Motnocab Road, Apple Valley, CA 92307

Old August 18th 05, 10:14 PM
Cooperstown.Net

This is why we need a charter, although no one seemed to care last time I
brought the subject up.

Thinking bigger..how about a php-based web board, with co-mods, on
Airwaves.com. A steam-radio counterpart to the thriving sat boards
SiriusBackstage and XM411.

Somehow the existing AM/FM web boards require multiple clicks to read each
post...and their threads falter once pushed beyond page 1.

On phpBB, each new post bumps the thread up...and there are topic
categories, so Meyer's stations for sale could easily be located. (Probably
more easily on the web board than within their COL! HI!)

Jerome

Old August 18th 05, 10:14 PM
Art Clemons

Steve Sobol wrote:

I know absolutely nothing about Delaware, but I'd say that there's
probably not much point in continuing to post about this particular
property if no one's responded yet. It has been a while since I saw the
first post about it...

There used to be regular posting on usenet featuring how to charter a
newsgroup, however let me note that since you can moderate said newsgroup,
the MODERATOR gets to choose what is and what is not allowable in a
moderated newsgroup. At the same time from past experience, if some troll
is sufficiently motivated, nothing will stop said troll posting even in a
moderated newsgroup thanks to braindead software and the practices of some
ISPs and Google. Google is relatively easy to deal with, all you have to
do is set each moderated post X-No archive and only the troll posts get
through meaning that nobody bothers to read Google's collection of your
newsgroup and it dies on Google from inactivity.

Old August 19th 05, 04:56 AM
Steve Sobol

Cooperstown.Net wrote:
This is why we need a charter, although no one seemed to care last time I
brought the subject up.

Thinking bigger..how about a php-based web board, with co-mods, on
Airwaves.com. A steam-radio counterpart to the thriving sat boards
SiriusBackstage and XM411.

Well, I haven't seen Val Davis around here lately, but if he isn't willing
or able to put something up, maybe I could. Interesting idea.

Old August 19th 05, 04:56 AM
Steve Sobol

Art Clemons wrote:

There used to be regular posting on usenet featuring how to charter a
newsgroup, however let me note that since you can moderate said newsgroup,
the MODERATOR gets to choose what is and what is not allowable in a
moderated newsgroup.

Thanks, but it's really not my call, it's up to the participants. I try to
cater to the wishes of the people who participate. I actually participate a
lot less now than I did when Bill was alive and moderating the group.

At the same time from past experience, if some troll

It's eminently unfair to call Meyer Gottesman a troll. He's not.

is sufficiently motivated, nothing will stop said troll posting even in a
moderated newsgroup thanks to braindead software

More like a flaw in the NNTP protocol, but yeah, I get your idea.

Old August 21st 05, 10:07 PM
Christopher C. Stacy

Steve Sobol writes:
It's eminently unfair to call Meyer Gottesman a troll. He's not.

If someone is tired of reading his messages,
then why do they read them?

Clearly they know what's in his messages, or else they wouldn't
be tired of them. And in case they forgot, his subject line is clear.
Aren't his messages are topical for the newsgroup?

Why not just skip them?
Does the complainer's software somehow force them to be read?
Mine just shows headers - you have to press a button to
cause the message to be downloaded and viewed.

Old August 22nd 05, 08:37 PM
Michael A. Terrell

"Christopher C. Stacy" wrote:

Steve Sobol writes:
It's eminently unfair to call Meyer Gottesman a troll. He's not.

If someone is tired of reading his messages,
then why do they read them?

Clearly they know what's in his messages, or else they wouldn't
be tired of them. And in case they forgot, his subject line is clear.
Aren't his messages are topical for the newsgroup?

Why not just skip them?
Does the complainer's software somehow force them to be read?
Mine just shows headers - you have to press a button to
cause the message to be downloaded and viewed.

I would like it even more if everyone didn't comment on his
messages. He is kill filed, but every reply puts it back on the
newsgroup.

--
Link to my "Computers for disabled Veterans" project website deleted
after threats were telephoned to my church.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

Old August 22nd 05, 08:37 PM
Bob Haberkost

"Christopher C. Stacy" wrote in message
| Steve Sobol writes:

| Clearly they know what's in his messages, or else they wouldn't
| be tired of them. And in case they forgot, his subject line is clear.
| Aren't his messages are topical for the newsgroup?

In my view, a moderated newsgroup such as this one has discourse, maybe
even arguments, all which progress until the thread either dies from lack
of interest/nothing more to say/no longer germaine, or, in rare instances,
where the moderator shuts down a thread because it's strayed too much from
what we're supposed to discuss to be included here. In an unmoderated
group, none of this applies, of course, and one should, if it's a bother,
kill-file the sender. While I've never seen anything in the way of actual
participation in this newsgroup from Mr Gottesman, I felt that killfiling
him was too severe....and I *did* ask him earlier to stop sending what
amounted to the same information, repeatedly. That's just noise.

| Why not just skip them?

As above...I shouldn't have to in a moderated newsgroup. In my opinion,
these repeat postings had no purpose, and should be omitted on those
grounds.

| Does the complainer's software somehow force them to be read?

No, but I got tired of seeing the headers, too.

| Mine just shows headers - you have to press a button to
| cause the message to be downloaded and viewed.

Regardless...my complaint was an observation...your results may vary. If
Mr Sobol opts to continue to clear them, it's not my call, and maybe I will
killfile Mr Gottesman....but I'd rather hope that I'll see something of
substance from him rather than his continued co-opting of this group for
his own financial gain.
Men born to freedom are naturally alert to repel invasion of their liberty
by evil-minded rulers. The greatest dangers to liberty lurk in insidious
encroachment by men of zeal, well-meaning but without understanding." --
Justice Brandeis
For direct replies, take out the contents between the hyphens. -Really!-

Old August 25th 05, 05:11 AM
Fred Lucite

When an earlier poster scribbled:
--| Does the complainer's software somehow force them to be read?

On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 at 19:37 -0000, Bob Haberkost replied:
-No, but I got tired of seeing the headers, too.

Uh, er ... isn't that a bit lame? ahem After all, as a cer-
tain poster already said:

On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 at 19:37 -0000, Bob Haberkost scribbled:
-In my view, a moderated newsgroup such as this one has discourse,
-maybe even arguments, all which progress until the thread either
-dies from lack of interest/nothing more to say/no longer germaine,
-or, in rare instances, where the moderator shuts down a thread be-
-cause it's strayed too much from what we're supposed to discuss to
-be included here.

Say, whaddaya know! That was none other than YOU! grin In the
first sentence of your very own posting, you contradicted that lamo
"tired of seeing it" excuse. It looks like you're gonna have to
flame yourself now! Go to it! Have fun! ha-ha

But seriously, folks (as the comedians are wont to say), your
point is well-taken. Mr. Sobol is an experienced moderator, he's
been moderating this group for years, and the "offending" announce-
ment appeared only a couple of times. You should have more faith in
the moderator, who I'm confident would've axed the "offending" post-
ing if the poster had kept on submitting the same post multiple addi-
tional times.

-While I've never seen anything in the way of actual participation
-in this newsgroup from Mr Gottesman ...

Oh, does that matter!? Are postings to be judged not by what
people say in the text of their postings but rather by who they are?
I beg to differ: Mr. Gottesman's posting should've been judged accept-
able or unacceptable based on its content, regardless of whether he
was a "member" of the "club."

And speaking of that "club," yes, I'll have to admit you haven't
seen me posting much here either. I've done all my posting on the
"alt" group for many years but that's another story. In any case,
as I said recently on another newsgroup, "nobody owns the Usenet."

Then there's this exchange where the earlier poster said:
--| Why not just skip them?

....and in the same posting listed above, you replied:
-I shouldn't have to in a moderated newsgroup.

The implication is that because it's a moderated newsgroup, you
expect 100% of the postings to be to YOUR liking and OF INTEREST to
YOU. Uh, gee, I'm SOOOOO sorry to break your bubble boo-hoo!, but
that just ain't reality -- unless you're the moderator. Everybody
has to pick and choose which postings they're going to spend time
on reading. Even in moderated newsgroups, there are always going to
be some postings, even good postings, dealing with some facet of the
subject which any one person isn't going to be interested in.

-... maybe I will killfile Mr Gottesman....but I'd rather hope that
-I'll see something of substance from him rather than his continued
-co-opting of this group for his own financial gain.

To paraphrase a remark in June by Stephen Harper in Canada.... If
you want to be so friendly and encourage constructive participation
on this newsgroup, you sure have a strange way of showing it! grin
In other words, it's too late now. Gottesman's gone. He apologized.
He left in a huff. (Or maybe it was a Cadillac or a Lexus.) He fell
on his sword. He's not likely to be back. He's history.

And now other posters, who may have legitimate postings but per-
haps there's some "commercial" element to them, will be scared off
from posting here. And still other readers may shy away from posting
because they figure you're just gonna slam them too. I've seen the
exact same thing happen on other newsgroups. It's the same story
over and over.

And finally, one more point: You do realize, don't you?, that
when you said that the mere sight of the title of this thread ANNOYS
you, you've practically invited people to keep on posting quibbles
about this and that and the other?! -- because everybody now knows
ha-ha-ha that you're gonna be annoyed!

It's like "Banned in Boston!" grin You've done the one thing
to guarantee the opposite of the result you wanted! We're all laugh-
ing, I gar-on-tee! It'll be a hoot now to see how long this thread
title lasts. tee-hee
david moeser -- erasmus39 on yahoo
Censornati, Ohio - USA

* "What's the frequency, Kenneth?" *

(Headers munged to foil spammers; real info in taglines)

Old August 25th 05, 05:12 AM
Steve Sobol

Bob Haberkost wrote:

Regardless...my complaint was an observation...your results may vary. If
Mr Sobol opts to continue to clear them, it's not my call, and maybe I will
killfile Mr Gottesman....but I'd rather hope that I'll see something of
substance from him rather than his continued co-opting of this group for
his own financial gain.

How about this: Meyer posts only one time about any given property...

Good idea?

Company website: http://JustThe.net/
E: Snail: 22674 Motnocab Road, Apple Valley, CA 92307

For sale: Partial interest in new LPTV station. Meyer Gottesman Broadcasting 2 April 27th 05 11:07 PM
a great read Happy camper CB 1 November 19th 04 02:51 PM
RILEY SAYS K1MAN BROADCASTS ARE LEGAL Dave Welby General 27 May 10th 04 11:30 PM
FCC Amateur Radio Enforcement Letters for the Period Ending May 1, 2004 private General 0 May 10th 04 09:39 PM
For sale: Partial interest in FM radiuo station in Arkansas. Meyer Gottesman Broadcasting 0 September 25th 03 03:55 PM