Old May 26th 04, 02:54 PM
Frank Gilliland

In , Frank Gilliland
wrote:

In , "AKC KennelMaster"
wrote:

"Dave Hall" wrote in message
. ..
On Mon, 24 May 2004 22:57:29 GMT, "Bert Craig"
wrote:

"Dave Hall" wrote in message
.. .
Riddle me this then Batman, why are there no type accepted LEGAL CB
radios produced with a roger beep or an echo?

Sorry Dave, my old Galaxy DX-949 came stock woith a roger beep...and

was/is
FCC type accepted.

http://www.galaxyradios.com/cb/949.html

Would you happen to to have the FCC I.D. number of that radio? That
radio, other than the roger beep, also has variable power, something
else no other legal CB has. I have my doubts that this radio is
entirely legal.

Dave
"Sandbagger"

Wrong again, Dave. Here's the link: http://www.galaxyradios.com/2547.html

There are no current equipment authorizations for any Galaxy CB radio.
Search the database yourself if you want:

https://gullfoss2.fcc.gov/prod/oet/c...ericSearch.cfm

Well, by golly, I goofed again. The FCC ID number is C2R-DX-2547, it's
a Ranger, and it is legal for CB. But what I didn't see on the Galaxy
website was a built-in roger-beep -- instead the board is available as
an accessory.

Old May 26th 04, 05:14 PM
Dave Hall

On Wed, 26 May 2004 06:54:51 -0700, Frank Gilliland
wrote:

In , Frank Gilliland
wrote:

In , "AKC KennelMaster"
wrote:

"Dave Hall" wrote in message
On Mon, 24 May 2004 22:57:29 GMT, "Bert Craig"
wrote:

"Dave Hall" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Galaxy and Ranger are basically one in the same. They are notorious
for "pushing the limit" as far as legality is concerned. I've never
liked Galaxy radios. They're basically knock-offs of Uniden designs,
many of which were not the most reliable.

What I don't understand is your last statement. Which Galaxy website
did you see the roger beep listed as an add-on accessory? The link
provided above lists the roger beep as a standard feature.

I'm perfectly willing to admit when I'm wrong, but I'm curious when
the FCC changed its opinion on roger beeps from their earlier
proclamation that they were considered "amusement" devices and
therefore not legal. This happened about 20-some years ago when roger
beeps first started springing up.

I'm also curious why they now allow variable power. Not since the
60's, when some radios had 100 mW low power positions, have I seen a
radio with user adjustable power (Other than walkie-talkies).

Common sense would tell me that if these things were clearly legal,
that the manufacturers would rush to include them en-masse as
"features". These all enhance the perceived value of a radio, and
gives the manufacturers a reason to charge more for things that cost
little to add at the factory. Most CBers are mesmerized by bells and
whistles, so this would clearly be a marketing plus.

Dave
"Sandbagger"
http://home.ptd.net/~n3cvj
Old May 26th 04, 06:40 PM
Tampa Bay Always Kicks PhilthyAzz

From: (Dave=A0Hall)
On Wed, 26 May 2004 06:54:51 -0700, Frank Gilliland
wrote:
In , Frank Gilliland
wrote:
wrote:
"Dave Hall" wrote in message
Well, by golly, I goofed again. The FCC ID

number is C2R-DX-2547, it's a Ranger, and it

is legal for CB. But what I didn't see on the

Galaxy website was a built-in roger-beep --

instead the board is available as an

accessory.

Galaxy and Ranger are basically one in the

same. They are notorious for "pushing the

limit" as far as legality is concerned. I've never
liked Galaxy radios. They're basically

knock-offs of Uniden designs, many of which

were not the most reliable.

What I don't understand is your last statement.
Which Galaxy website did you see the roger

beep listed as an add-on accessory? The link

provided above lists the roger beep as a

standard feature.

I'm perfectly willing to admit when I'm wrong,

Hehehe,,,a barrage of insults and offtopic rants is not an admition of
anything..LOL.

but I'm curious when the FCC changed its

opinion on roger beeps from their earlier

proclamation that they were considered

"amusement" devices and therefore not legal.

The FCC never held that rule,,,,you are the one "claiming" they did,
with no link to provide such. All you did is quote a rule, and
ignorantly take it to mean "amusement" encompasses roger beeps. The FCC
never said anything of the such,,you did and you're beginning to ramble
offtopic with your personal feelings regarding such.

This happened about 20-some years ago

when roger beeps first started springing up.

Quote it. Cite it. Show the rule. Of course, the only thing you can
provide is lipservice.

Old May 26th 04, 11:54 PM
Frank Gilliland

In , Dave Hall
wrote:

On Wed, 26 May 2004 06:54:51 -0700, Frank Gilliland
wrote:

In , Frank Gilliland
wrote:

In , "AKC KennelMaster"
wrote:

"Dave Hall" wrote in message
m...
On Mon, 24 May 2004 22:57:29 GMT, "Bert Craig"
wrote:

"Dave Hall" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

"Fragile" is the word I have heard most often used to describe all
three makes.

What I don't understand is your last statement. Which Galaxy website
did you see the roger beep listed as an add-on accessory? The link
provided above lists the roger beep as a standard feature.

You are right, it's in the list. I just missed it the first time.

I'm perfectly willing to admit when I'm wrong, but I'm curious when
the FCC changed its opinion on roger beeps from their earlier
proclamation that they were considered "amusement" devices and
therefore not legal. This happened about 20-some years ago when roger
beeps first started springing up.

They might justify it's use under 95.412(b) "You may use your CB
station to transmit a tone signal only when the signal is used to make
contact or to continue communications." The reason might be that a
beep at the end of a transmission is useful to indicate when the
person is finished transmitting, and not to 'amuse or entertain'.

I'm also curious why they now allow variable power. Not since the
60's, when some radios had 100 mW low power positions, have I seen a
radio with user adjustable power (Other than walkie-talkies).

There have been CBs in the past that have had power switches. Some of
the handhelds have a low-power switch to save battery power. But the
variable-power feature on Galaxys/Rangers is obviously intended to
trim the power fed to an amplifier, and I'm sure that is one reason
why the FCC doesn't like them.

Common sense would tell me that if these things were clearly legal,
that the manufacturers would rush to include them en-masse as
"features". These all enhance the perceived value of a radio, and
gives the manufacturers a reason to charge more for things that cost
little to add at the factory. Most CBers are mesmerized by bells and
whistles, so this would clearly be a marketing plus.

Who makes CBs anymore besides Galaxy/Ranger and Uniden?

Old May 27th 04, 12:10 PM
Dave Hall

On Wed, 26 May 2004 15:54:34 -0700, Frank Gilliland
wrote:

[...]

Among other less flattering adjectives......

What I don't understand is your last statement. Which Galaxy website
did you see the roger beep listed as an add-on accessory? The link
provided above lists the roger beep as a standard feature.

You are right, it's in the list. I just missed it the first time.

Ok.

I'm perfectly willing to admit when I'm wrong, but I'm curious when
the FCC changed its opinion on roger beeps from their earlier
proclamation that they were considered "amusement" devices and
therefore not legal. This happened about 20-some years ago when roger
beeps first started springing up.

They might justify it's use under 95.412(b) "You may use your CB
station to transmit a tone signal only when the signal is used to make
contact or to continue communications." The reason might be that a
beep at the end of a transmission is useful to indicate when the
person is finished transmitting, and not to 'amuse or entertain'.

Then there is a really fine line here. A single tone might be
acceptable under that clause. But those multi-tone "roger beeps",
"farts", tarzan yells, and other such devices clearly cross the line
into the "amusement" category.

I'm also curious why they now allow variable power. Not since the
60's, when some radios had 100 mW low power positions, have I seen a
radio with user adjustable power (Other than walkie-talkies).

There have been CBs in the past that have had power switches.

I haven't seen them since the 60's when Lafayette used to have a 100
mW position, which was done supposedly so that you could "legally"
operate your radio while waiting for your license application to be
processed. The FCC later clarified that in order to qualify for part
15 no license status that not only did the power need to be 100 mW or
less, that the antenna must also be self contained. The power switch
soon vanished shortly afterward.

Some of
the handhelds have a low-power switch to save battery power.

Yes! But I have not seen selectable or variable power on a base or
mobile "CB".

But the
variable-power feature on Galaxys/Rangers is obviously intended to
trim the power fed to an amplifier, and I'm sure that is one reason
why the FCC doesn't like them.

I'm sure that is the intended use. But if the FCC allows switchable
power on walkie-talkies, then I don't understand why this feature has
not been used on standard radios. I'll have to peruse the updated
technical specs again. Sometimes the FCC can be less than crystal
clear.

Common sense would tell me that if these things were clearly legal,
that the manufacturers would rush to include them en-masse as
"features". These all enhance the perceived value of a radio, and
gives the manufacturers a reason to charge more for things that cost
little to add at the factory. Most CBers are mesmerized by bells and
whistles, so this would clearly be a marketing plus.

Who makes CBs anymore besides Galaxy/Ranger and Uniden?

Admittedly, I am not as "up" on this stuff as I was when I was heavily
involved in radio repair. It does seem that the number of
manufacturers has diminished to a few sweat shops in China and
Malaysia. I don't know if Cybernet is still active or not.

Dave
"Sandbagger"
http://home.ptd.net/~n3cvj

Old May 27th 04, 12:41 PM
AKC KennelMaster

wrote:

[...]

The Galaxy has none of those.

Old May 28th 04, 07:16 AM
Frank Gilliland

In , Dave Hall
wrote:

On Wed, 26 May 2004 15:54:34 -0700, Frank Gilliland
wrote:

snip
There have been CBs in the past that have had power switches.

I haven't seen them since the 60's when Lafayette used to have a 100
mW position, which was done supposedly so that you could "legally"
operate your radio while waiting for your license application to be
processed. The FCC later clarified that in order to qualify for part
15 no license status that not only did the power need to be 100 mW or
less, that the antenna must also be self contained. The power switch
soon vanished shortly afterward.

I don't think the FCC requires the power to be 'fixed', but rather
that it cannot exceed the prescribed maximum.

Some of
the handhelds have a low-power switch to save battery power.

Yes! But I have not seen selectable or variable power on a base or
mobile "CB".

I have an old Utac on the shelf that has a 1/5 watt power switch. I
have seen a similar switch on a couple other radios but I couldn't
tell you what they were.

But the
variable-power feature on Galaxys/Rangers is obviously intended to
trim the power fed to an amplifier, and I'm sure that is one reason
why the FCC doesn't like them.

I'm sure that is the intended use. But if the FCC allows switchable
power on walkie-talkies, then I don't understand why this feature has
not been used on standard radios. I'll have to peruse the updated
technical specs again. Sometimes the FCC can be less than crystal
clear.

Well, my first guess why power-pots are not standard features on most
CB radios is probably because the 4 watt max isn't much power to begin
with. Or maybe because the radios were designed to load antennas
instead of splatter-boxes. Either way, not all CBers have a craving
for radios loaded with knobs, buttons, switches, lights, meters, and a
host of redundant and generally useless features -- those radios are
for artless ham-wannabe's who want to impress others of their kind.

=============

http://tinyurl.com/ytcah
http://tinyurl.com/2yor7

=============

"...but I admitted I was wrong, Like a man! Something you and QRM
have a problem with. You guys are wrong and you both know it and
are both too small to admit it."
---- Twistedhed ----

Old May 28th 04, 12:32 PM
Dave Hall

On Thu, 27 May 2004 23:16:03 -0700, Frank Gilliland
wrote:

In , Dave Hall
wrote:

On Wed, 26 May 2004 15:54:34 -0700, Frank Gilliland
wrote:

snip
There have been CBs in the past that have had power switches.

I haven't seen them since the 60's when Lafayette used to have a 100
mW position, which was done supposedly so that you could "legally"
operate your radio while waiting for your license application to be
processed. The FCC later clarified that in order to qualify for part
15 no license status that not only did the power need to be 100 mW or
less, that the antenna must also be self contained. The power switch
soon vanished shortly afterward.

I don't think the FCC requires the power to be 'fixed', but rather
that it cannot exceed the prescribed maximum.

You may be right. If so, I'm curious why CB radios didn't avail
themselves of "Hi/Low" switches or variable power. Not that today's
CBer is interested in reducing their power, but it does reduce
interference when you are only talking to local people. And it is
another knob to "feature".

[...]

Good point. You'd have to drop the power down to .5 watts or less to
make a significant difference.

Or maybe because the radios were designed to load antennas
instead of splatter-boxes. Either way, not all CBers have a craving
for radios loaded with knobs, buttons, switches, lights, meters, and a
host of redundant and generally useless features -- those radios are
for artless ham-wannabe's who want to impress others of their kind.

We don't know anyone who fits that description do we? ;-)

Dave
"Sandbagger"
http://home.ptd.net/~n3cvj