Old March 24th 05, 07:56 AM
G-S

Dan/W4NTI wrote:

"wonderer" wrote in message

"Dan/W4NTI" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Mike Coslo" wrote in message

Dan/W4NTI wrote:

"Simon VK3XEM" wrote in message

Get over it! Go back to your CW if you want, who bothers you or bags
you for using it, I know I certainly don't.

--
The views I present are my own and NOT of any organisation I belong
to.

73 de Simon, VK3XEM.
http://www.aca.gov.au/pls/radcom/cli...IENT_NO=157452
VoIP http://www.TALKonIP.com.au/

Thanks for bringing this up Mate!.

My major problem is folks refering to interconnecting "hams" over the
internet as "ham radio". Ham radio is R A D I O . Not INTERNET
connected to Nodes then to a radio somewhere. Call it whatever you
want, but it is NOT ham radio.

It is an H-T audio chat room, Dan.

- Mike KB3EIA -

As I said....call it whatever they want. But it ain't Ham Radio.

oh!! yes it is

let's take it one bit at a time

R = repeater = radio, receiver of repeater linked to
transmitter of a repeater in another country
the reverse is true.

I = internet, no problems here

L is for linking, no problems here

P is for protocol, to enable the two repeaters
to be able to be linked to gether, it is
radio at both ends.

what problem do you have with this

ALF VK5ZKL

Gawd Almighty you Ausies are a thick headed bunch, ain't ya?

Ham RADIO is communications with a RADIO or a RADIO system.

INTERNET is communications with a NETWORK of interconnected computers
organized in such a manner to send "packets" of data world-wide.

So what are X25 "packets" then?

Do you see any mention of RADIO there?

Well If I use IRLP (and I don't contest btw) then I talk into my "radio" and
someone else talks into thier "radio"

The middle bit is "packets" like my old VFH "packet" radio

G-S VK3DMN

Old March 24th 05, 07:58 AM
G-S

Dan/W4NTI wrote:

Because I am right, and you are wrong.

You saying it doesn't make it so... it just makes it your "opinion".

Keep calling IRLP or VOIP Ham radio all you want.

Not that I need your permission... but I'll keep on calling IRLP radio
because it is :-)

G-S VK3DMN

Old March 24th 05, 07:59 AM
G-S

Dan/W4NTI wrote:

Here is a American phrase you can put on them.....

Well good buddy....Ya just can't fix STUPID.

Indeed, but I suspect people will keep trying with you!

G-S

Old March 24th 05, 08:00 AM
G-S

Dan/W4NTI wrote:

So there.

You know... that's sounds awfully like my 4 year old's debating skills LOL

G-S VK3DMN

Old March 24th 05, 09:03 AM
Simon VK3XEM

Walt Davidson wrote:
On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 10:26:36 +1100, Simon VK3XEM
wrote:

No, I am actually labeling *YOU* as a moron and **** listing you!

You know... that sounds awfully like a 4 year old's debating skills.
LOL

73 de G3NYY

What is there to debate, there is a large network of IRLP nodes all over
the world on Amateur Radio which proves it is a popular and valid part
of the hobby.

Old March 24th 05, 09:05 AM
Martin, VK2UMJ

"Dan/W4NTI" wrote in message
k.net...

[SNIP]

Gawd Almighty you Ausies are a thick headed bunch, ain't ya?

Ham RADIO is communications with a RADIO or a RADIO system.

INTERNET is communications with a NETWORK of interconnected computers
organized in such a manner to send "packets" of data world-wide.

Do you see any mention of RADIO there?

Yes, as a matter of fact, because the correct name for IRLP is Internet
Radio Linking Project. See www.irlp.net Note that is a USA website
describing IRLP, not an Aussie site...

A quote from the irlp.net website:

"The aim of this project is to reliably and inexpensively link amateur radio
systems without the use of RF links, leased lines, or satellites."

So, next question?

--
Martin, VK2UMJ

To reply by e-mail, replace ".invalid" with ".com.au"

"I cannot help but notice that there is no problem
between us that cannot be solved by your departure."

Old March 24th 05, 09:18 AM
Spike

On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 20:03:42 +1100, Simon VK3XEM wrote:

What is there to debate, there is a large network of IRLP nodes all over
the world on Amateur Radio which proves it is a popular and valid part
of the hobby.

It might be 'popular'. That doesn't make it 'valid'.

You need a better argument with which to defend your position.
--
from
Aero Spike
Old March 24th 05, 09:29 AM
Concerned Amateur

In article . net, Dan/W4NTI wrote:

"Mike Coslo" wrote in message

Dan/W4NTI wrote:

"Simon VK3XEM" wrote in message

Get over it! Go back to your CW if you want, who bothers you or bags you
for using it, I know I certainly don't.

--
The views I present are my own and NOT of any organisation I belong to.

73 de Simon, VK3XEM.
http://www.aca.gov.au/pls/radcom/cli...IENT_NO=157452
VoIP http://www.TALKonIP.com.au/

Thanks for bringing this up Mate!.

My major problem is folks refering to interconnecting "hams" over the
internet as "ham radio". Ham radio is R A D I O . Not INTERNET
connected to Nodes then to a radio somewhere. Call it whatever you want,
but it is NOT ham radio.

It is an H-T audio chat room, Dan.

- Mike KB3EIA -

As I said....call it whatever they want. But it ain't Ham Radio.

Dan/W4NTI

You really have some complex about what constitues Ham radio dont you.
Your so caught up in its definition, have you forgotten how to
actually enjoy the hobby ?

Let me ask, is a repeater on the ISS Hamradio ? We had to use
a rocket to get it up there, does that make it anything less worthwhile ?

When repeaters first started, I bet you said "thats not hamradio".

Digital modes use computers, does that make it any less Hamradio ?

Get over your complex and leave IRLP to those that want to use it
Old March 24th 05, 09:32 AM
Concerned Amateur

In article , Walt Davidson wrote:
On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 20:05:46 +1100, "Martin, VK2UMJ"
wrote:

Yes, as a matter of fact, because the correct name for IRLP is Internet
Radio Linking Project. See www.irlp.net Note that is a USA website
describing IRLP, not an Aussie site...

A quote from the irlp.net website:

"The aim of this project is to reliably and inexpensively link amateur radio
systems without the use of RF links, leased lines, or satellites."

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
"Without the use of RF links".

The full name for "RF" is "Radio Frequency".

So that rules out radio, then.

Next question?

So, next question?

73 de G3NYY

Oh yawn, how mundane your arguements are.
Old March 24th 05, 09:36 AM
Concerned Amateur

In article , Walt Davidson wrote:
On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 02:02:29 GMT, "Ashley VK3HAG"
wrote:

Personally, as a newbie to ham radio, (but long time cb'er and scanner user) ...

Well, there's a surprise!
[NOT]

73 de G3NYY

And you set such a good example of yourself, ensuring **EVERYONE**
gets to hear your definition of what you think an Amateur Radio
operator is ?

Your about as relevant as the Monarchy....[NOT]