Old March 23rd 05, 10:10 PM
ZZZPK

"Brian Reay" wrote:

: I don't think anyone is saying "shut up" etc. I'm saying unless ILRP impacts
: you, why worry?

morse test didnt impact you but you still shoutred from the roof tops and
wrote loads of emails to anyone who would rwad them ?

:
: Over the years I've come across many amateurs who hated some aspect of the
: hobby- packet, anything computer based,........ Not one ever seems to have
: found a niche they really do like.
yeh... you disagreed witht he morse test...
but now enforce the morse assessment COMPULSRY REQUIREMENT

Old March 23rd 05, 11:59 PM
Dan/W4NTI

"Mike Coslo" wrote in message

Brian Reay wrote:

Well, in that case why don't you call it something else. Then come back
when someone makes you call it by the name that upsets you.

Untill then, 'mellow out'.

Dan, why are IRLP fans so quick to tell people to shut up and go away when
someone disagrees with them. Are people like you and "concerned amateur"
typical of what we might meet if we sample the mode?

- Mike KB3EIA -

Probably so.

Dan/W4NTI

Old March 24th 05, 12:00 AM
Dan/W4NTI

"Brian Reay" wrote in message

--
Brian Reay
www.g8osn.org.uk

There you go putting words into my mouth again Brian. I never said I hate
IRLP. I said I don't like it being called Ham Radio.

And I don't much care if you like my opinion or not.

So there.

Dan/W4NTI

Old March 24th 05, 12:06 AM
Dan/W4NTI

"DieSea" wrote in message

"Walt Davidson" wrote in message
On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 17:35:30 +1100, "Martin, VK2UMJ"
wrote:

"Walt Davidson" wrote :
On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 02:02:29 GMT, "Ashley VK3HAG"
wrote:

Personally, as a newbie to ham radio, (but long time cb'er and
scanner
user) ...

Well, there's a surprise!
[NOT]

Oh look, another ham that was born with a licence and callsign already
allocated!!!

What, you don't think amateurs start somewhere and may even have used
other
forms of radio before???

When I got my amateur radio licence in 1960, there was no such thing
as CB in the UK, and no such thing as a code-free amateur licence. We
were much better off then!

CB is the recruitment ground for LIDs.

73 de G3NYY

--
Walt Davidson Email: g3nyy @despammed.com

I know of a few amateurs ( G3's to boot ) that have made a good living out
of CB
in the HAY DAYS during the 80's , as well as picking up some more of the
colourful expressions as well , they can still to be heard to-day with
their
Personals ,Twigs and Twenty's or even the name would be .

Come to think of it , why when they are working a local why cant they
speak their
mother tongue ands have to pretend they're in a convoy.

DieSea

DieSea

Here is a American phrase you can put on them.....

Well good buddy....Ya just can't fix STUPID.

Cheers and Beers mate.

Dan/W4NTI

Old March 24th 05, 12:10 AM
Dan/W4NTI

"wonderer" wrote in message

"Dan/W4NTI" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Mike Coslo" wrote in message

Dan/W4NTI wrote:

"Simon VK3XEM" wrote in message

Get over it! Go back to your CW if you want, who bothers you or bags
you for using it, I know I certainly don't.

--
The views I present are my own and NOT of any organisation I belong to.

73 de Simon, VK3XEM.
http://www.aca.gov.au/pls/radcom/cli...IENT_NO=157452
VoIP http://www.TALKonIP.com.au/

Thanks for bringing this up Mate!.

My major problem is folks refering to interconnecting "hams" over the
internet as "ham radio". Ham radio is R A D I O . Not INTERNET
connected to Nodes then to a radio somewhere. Call it whatever you
want, but it is NOT ham radio.

It is an H-T audio chat room, Dan.

- Mike KB3EIA -

As I said....call it whatever they want. But it ain't Ham Radio.

oh!! yes it is

let's take it one bit at a time

R = repeater = radio, receiver of repeater linked to
transmitter of a repeater in another country
the reverse is true.

I = internet, no problems here

L is for linking, no problems here

P is for protocol, to enable the two repeaters
to be able to be linked to gether, it is
radio at both ends.

what problem do you have with this

ALF VK5ZKL

Gawd Almighty you Ausies are a thick headed bunch, ain't ya?

Ham RADIO is communications with a RADIO or a RADIO system.

INTERNET is communications with a NETWORK of interconnected computers
organized in such a manner to send "packets" of data world-wide.

Do you see any mention of RADIO there?

Next.

Dan/W4NTI

Old March 24th 05, 12:12 AM
Dan/W4NTI

"Brian Reay" wrote in message
"Dan/W4NTI" wrote in message
ink.net...
Oh I don't think so Brian. Spark was a MODE not a different system of
sending the information.

CW is continous wave. I.E. still sending information by the same
method.
I.E. over the airwaves now called RADIO.

Do you see the difference yet?

I do. And so does anyone else with a brain.

Look...new technology is fine. Old technology is also fine. But these

two
things ARE NOT INTERCHANGABLE. Radio is Radio. Internet is Internet.

Get
it?

What I don't 'get' is why people get so 'up tight' over such things?

If people enjoy VOIP systems fine, if they don't, fine. Ditto Morse,
Packet,
Phone, Repeaters, .........

I've yet to see a facet of the hobby that has adversely impacted my
enjoyment- even if is a facet that leaves me cold.

What is this urge to insist everyone does it 'your way'?

--
Brian Reay
www.g8osn.org.uk
www.amateurradiotraining.org.uk
FP#898

Because I am right, and you are wrong. Further more I am NOT trying to
force you to believe it my way. I am just trying to show you that you are W
R O N G.

Keep calling IRLP or VOIP Ham radio all you want. The rest of us know
better.

Dan/W4NTI

Old March 24th 05, 12:15 AM
Dan/W4NTI

"Brian Reay" wrote in message
"Mike Coslo" wrote in message

I know that my objection to the internet modes is *not* their
existence, but that so many of their adherents want to call them
"radio". And having a contest only exacerbates the silliness.

Hmm, and what someone else calls it bothers you? AND they want a
contest.
The cheek of it!

This a akin to "How many angels can dance on the head of a pin." Take a
chill pill.

And yes, a person uses their radio to access the network injection
point. Not much of a challenge, that.

So don't do it yourself, seek out something you find rewarding rather than
worry how others get their kicks.

Oh I agree that it isn't much challenge but so what? Who are 'they'
harming?

--
Brian Reay
www.g8osn.org.uk
www.amateurradiotraining.org.uk
FP#898

It seems to me the ONLY person here having a problem is Brian.

Dan/W4NTI

Old March 24th 05, 12:36 AM
Walter Raleigh

"ZZZPK " .es.it.net wrote
in message ...

"shoutred"

"rwad"

"yeh"

"witht"

"COMPULSRY"

Glass houses and stones come to mind. When preaching to Brian about his
actions and beliefs, an attempt to respond in the same language would be
nice.

HTH

--
Walter

Old March 24th 05, 02:05 AM
Simon VK3XEM

Dan/W4NTI wrote:
"Brian Reay" wrote in message

"Mike Coslo" wrote in message

Brian Reay wrote:

[...]

What I don't like is the way you are putting down a legitimate part of
the hobby. Whether you like it or not it IS a legitimate part of
Amateur Radio.

Old March 24th 05, 02:15 AM
Simon VK3XEM

Dan/W4NTI wrote:
"Brian Reay" wrote in message

"Dan/W4NTI" wrote in message
hlink.net...

[...]

I've got bad news for you, with a quick check of
http://status.irlp.net/statuspage.html showing a total 1595 IRLP Nodes
within the IRLP network and 139 currently engaged in use as I post this
message, that IRLP is a popular and *VALID* part of Amateur Radio.

Just because you do not see it as part of Amateur Radio that it isn't.

It might not be part of YOUR hobby, but that is a different story.