Old April 21st 05, 03:45 PM

Dee Flint wrote:

If you don't have room for good food then
you don't have room for junk.

Dessert is junk???? Not when K0CKB puts it on the dining table! Maybe
you need some of her recipes, if your desserts are "junk"!

dit dit

de Hans, K0HB

Old April 21st 05, 05:56 PM
KØHB

"Dee Flint" wrote in message

By the way I happen to think that all should be required to learn to swim
whether or not they think they may use it. I happen to consider it a basic
skill in life that all should know.

That's interesting. I tend to be more libertarian (small "l"), leaving such
decisions up to the individual rather than a societal (government?) "all should
be required" mandate. While it's easy to make the argument that swimming is a
useful skill beyond it's recreational value (just as you might make a slightly
weaker argument that Morse is a useful beyond it's recreational value), society
really has no vested interest strong enough to dictate "all should be required"
to develop the skill of swimming. If they did, then the next layer of
busy-bodies would busy themselves deciding which swimming strokes ought to be
required, which section of the beach we'd be allowed to use (depending on our
tested swimming speed), and requiring that all non-swimmers live only in arid
locations like Arizona and New Mexico.

73, de Hans, K0HB

Old April 21st 05, 06:07 PM
Michael Coslo

KØHB wrote:

"Mike Coslo" wrote in message

..... my point that you can argue yourself out of any testing via your
argument......

No you can't.

Yes you can.

I fully support a Morse familiarity test. Cross my heart and hope to die!

I just don't support a "skill demonstration", unless you want to require a
"skill demonstration" of every knowledge area on the test, and deny licenses to
everyone who cannot demonstrate all required skills.

No other part of the testing is a skill. You can buy a Yeacomwood rig,
have other people set up your antenna and setup. You can talk into a
microphone, (assuming that people know to mash the PTT or adaptive
device that performs the same function) and it will "work". I can buy or
download and install the software that I use for PSK31. It's a major
stretch to consider that a skill. More like knowledge.

But CW is a different matter. You aren't going to read a book and sit
down at the key and start sending or receiving Morse. *Thst's* a skill.

Even with computer generated Morse and Receiving programs such as CWGet
(all which do s so-so job of the mode) it is a valuable skill which can
work with minimal equipment.

- Mike KB3EIA -

Old April 21st 05, 06:24 PM
KØHB

"Michael Coslo" wrote in message

Refined sugar is indeed junk. No matter how good it tastes.

How did "refined sugar" enter the conversation? Clearly you need to broaden
your culinary horizons!

Good luck on this one now!

73, de Hans, K0HB

Old April 21st 05, 06:36 PM
KØHB

"Michael Coslo" wrote in message

No other part of the testing is a skill.

My point EXACTLY, Mike.

While there are many skills associated with our hobby, only one of those skills
is singled out for a required demonstration.

Interestingly, if that skill is so vital as to need a skill demonstration, it
would seem that no-one who had not been tested would be allowed to use it on the
air. Yet a basic Technician licensee is perfectly free to use Morse on the air
without having passed a Morse test. So much for the need for a demonstration
before a license grant!

73, de Hans, K0HB

Old April 21st 05, 07:51 PM
Phil Kane

On Thu, 21 Apr 2005 12:55:51 -0400, Michael Coslo wrote:

If you don't have room for good food then
you don't have room for junk.

Dessert is junk???? Not when K0CKB puts it on the dining table! Maybe
you need some of her recipes, if your desserts are "junk"!

Refined sugar is indeed junk. No matter how good it tastes.

One of my wife's avocations is specialty dessert and cake catering
(she's taught that for years and at times has even made money doing
it commercially).

Her specialty is diabetic-safe products (I'm a diabetic) - low fat
and no refined (or unrefined) sugar. She duplicates about 95% of
what one can find on a fancy "sweet table" (marshmellow requires the
crystalline structure of "real" sugar) and I most certainly do not
suffer from a lack of "goodies" all year round.

Dessert is one of the basic food groups..... ggg

--
73 de K2ASP - Phil Kane

Old April 21st 05, 08:22 PM
KØHB

Dessert is one of the basic food groups..... ggg

--
73 de K2ASP - Phil Kane

If Mike and Dee say it's junk, then don't you be goin' messin' up their
conservative minds with any such heresy. Besides, if you haven't time to learn
Morse, then you ain't got no time to be eating no sweetened food. Clean up
those green beans too, before you go study your code.

73, de Hans, K0HB
(My kids think I'm a real "mother"!)

Old April 21st 05, 09:01 PM
robert casey

a cushy job when he saw it and such "motiviation" wouldn't be needed.

Maybe for those who knew what was up then. But a helluva lot of
conscipts are historically cluless no matter what era and want out at
any cost and WW2 days were desperate times.

I had thought that WW2 was a popular war, in that most everyone
saw the need to do that war. Not like Vietnam, which seemed
to be a pointless quagmire, to be avoided at all costs.
Old April 21st 05, 09:07 PM
KØHB

"robert casey" wrote in message
link.net...

I had thought that WW2 was a popular war, in that most everyone
saw the need to do that war.

Every war is "popular" to a certain extent among those who aren't required to
attend.

It becomes markedly less popular among those whose attendance is involuntary.

73, de Hans, K0HB