Old July 27th 06, 04:24 AM posted to alt.radio.scanner,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.scanner,rec.radio.swap

Default You're not a real ham if you never took or passed a Code test.

Slow Code wrote:
"J. D. B." wrote in
:

No Al, those are not arguments that take place with the model train
hobby. The best scale is what is best for you. Unlike ham radio, no one
tries to ram something down another hobbyist's throat. Same for buy vs.
build. Not a discussion. You do what you want to do and no one is
critical of the other. The way it should be in ham radio.

You were that kid on the playground that always thought you were better
than all the other kids and you tried to get other kids in fights didn't
you Al? You seem to be always looking for confrontation.

I think you're sniffing too much glue putting your model cho-cho
trains together.

you think SC prove that assertion (that you think) t appears to be
flase

Sc

Old July 27th 06, 07:42 AM posted to alt.radio.scanner,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.scanner,rec.radio.swap

**** OFF ALREADY WITH HAM ****!

TAKE IT SOMEWHERE ELSE NOT HERE! AND BESIDE WHO GIVE **** ABOUT AMATEUR
RADIO ASSHOLES WHO THINK THEIR ALL STUCK UP AND THINK THEY RULE THE WORLD

an_old_friend wrote:
Slow Code wrote:

"J. D. B." wrote in
:

No Al, those are not arguments that take place with the model train
hobby. The best scale is what is best for you. Unlike ham radio, no one
tries to ram something down another hobbyist's throat. Same for buy vs.
build. Not a discussion. You do what you want to do and no one is
critical of the other. The way it should be in ham radio.

You were that kid on the playground that always thought you were better
than all the other kids and you tried to get other kids in fights didn't
you Al? You seem to be always looking for confrontation.

I think you're sniffing too much glue putting your model cho-cho
trains together.

you think SC prove that assertion (that you think) t appears to be
flase

Sc

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0630-2, 07/26/2006
Tested on: 7/27/2006 2:41:02 AM

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0630-2, 07/26/2006
Tested on: 7/27/2006 2:42:19 AM

Old July 27th 06, 12:03 PM posted to alt.radio.scanner,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.scanner,rec.radio.swap
Tim Tim is offline

You know, this is the attitude that has kept me from being a licensed ham
operator. I have DX'ed for years, but find most of the operators to be smug
asses who want to keep the hobby to themselves. I have no need to learn
code, or more importantly, no desire. So you old fossils keep your exclusive
little club and watch as it dies out with rotary telephones and vacuum
tubes. Every ham I have met in person has been secretive and not at all
willing to help anyone out. I sold a scope to one a few years back and in
our conversation asked a few questions about becoming a ham. He was not
willing to answer questions nor offer any advice, just for me to get an arrl
book. He wouldn't even tell me what the repeater frequencies were for the 2
meter in our area. So, lets make the passing score 98%, 50wpm, and renew all
classes every year. That ought to drive out the rest of 'em and keep you,
Mr. Slow Code, as the king of all hams, even if you have no subjects to
reign over.
Come to think of it, I can talk to people all over the world via internet,
send packets and slow scan tv, so why worry about propagation and antennae?
"Slow Code" wrote in message
nk.net...
Just thought you should know that.

Help save Ham radio and ignore Markie to save
usenet. Thanks

1- No more automatic renewals. Individuals must retest and pass all
elements required for their license class every ten years.

2- The passing score for written exams needs to be raised to 85%.

3- Code elements should be 13 wpm for General, and 20 wpm for Extra.

4- Make the no-code license one year non-renewable.

5- Cancel your ARRL membership until they decide to work to improve
things and stop them from proposing ham radio that is like CB.

Old July 27th 06, 03:50 PM posted to alt.radio.scanner,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.scanner,rec.radio.swap

Blow Code, no more damage to my brain then the lead you are breathing in
when putting together your little radios with solder.

But then again, the collector trains come pre-assembled so no glue is
involved. One nice thing, the increase in value of some of these is
incredible.

Paid $20 each for two railcars. Now I am offered $400 for each of them.
Not a bad hobby at all now is it. Don't believe me? Check the prices
for Micro-Trains Illinois state cars (first in the series).

Are trains a great hobby or what?

Old July 27th 06, 04:01 PM posted to alt.radio.scanner,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.scanner,rec.radio.swap

Man, I went to a Train Show near me recently, I was AMAZED. I didn't know so
much Train Hobby stuff existed. WOW!!!!! Speaking of prices - all my train
stuff went by the way side in a disaster. One "engine" I had - I seen at
this show for $1400.00........ Man what a sinking feeling I had. I'm sure my
dad didn't pay anywhere near "that". This was my "first" train show - as I
was going to the Computer show adjoining it in the same hall. I think the
train show had more customers than the Computer show. Some of the "Computer"
vendors even related to such.

Lou

Slow Code wrote:

I think you're sniffing too much glue putting your model cho-cho
trains together. Sc

Old July 27th 06, 04:05 PM posted to alt.radio.scanner,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.scanner,rec.radio.swap

Tim wrote:
So you old fossils keep your exclusive
little club and watch as it dies out with rotary telephones and vacuum
tubes.

Out of curiosity, how old (years) is a fossil to you? Really.

Every ham I have met in person has been secretive

Strange, all the ones I have meet have been very nice.

Come to think of it, I can talk to people all over the world via internet,
send packets and slow scan tv, so why worry about propagation and antennae?

Well if you are really just after instant gratification and no real
sense of accomplishment, go for it. Some like the challanges. I suppose
it is the cahllange aspect to a hobby that makes it fun. Like model
building perhaps. I haven't meet a ham who got into it because he wanted
fast and easy.

These other hams you met, did you make it clear what you expected out of
the hobby?

John

Old July 27th 06, 04:14 PM posted to alt.radio.scanner,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.scanner,rec.radio.swap

Al Klein wrote:

What's wrong with ham radio being turned into CB? For one thing, we
already had a couple of citizen's bands - we didn't need a dozen more.

CB is dead. Turning it into CB is a meaningless statement. Your
knowledge of CB is going back way too far when it was chaos. Again, you
do not know what you are talking about as you are making references that
are very old and very outdated - just like CW and code testing.

For them? It's not. If they can't pass the test they don't get the
privilege. That's just the way life is. If you're not 75 inches
tall, we don't let you be 6'3". These days some people want to be
what they aren't, regardless of reality. Giving ham licenses to
anyone who wants one doesn't make hams of people who know nothing, it
makes the ham license worthless.

Why not give a license to anyone who wants one? It's just not that big
of deal anymore. We are not dealing with lethal voltages like we did
with all the tube crap used years ago.

How does memorizing answers to "technical questions" make you a better ham?

I said it doesn't. I said that learning makes you more knowledgeable.

That's true, learning does make you more knowledgeable. People can learn
on their own, learn what interests them, learn what they need to know.
Not what you or I THINK they need to know.

Everyone says that CW is old hat and modern modes

At least we agree on something and nice to see you admit that everyone
is now saying this.

That thing passing over your head was the point.

No, I got the point o.k. You admit CW is old hat.

Yup, it is a simple circuit. It's also readily available in books, the
Internet, etc., so how does memorizing the circuit to pass a test, make
you a better ham?

Understanding how it works makes you more knowledgeable. Evidently
you're one of those who needs things repeated a few times.

What if I don't care to know how it works? Most women and many men have
no idea how a car engine, transmission and car computer works, but they
still get a license to drive. By your standards I guess people need to
know how their television, AM and FM radio, etc. works before they are
allowed to purchase such an item....hmmmm?

You never listened to QSOs on 20? Or questions asked at ham club
meetings? Or in radio fora?

Yup, I have listened to and have many QSOs on all ham bands. And most of
the crap you profess to be discussed is simply not generally discussed.

Learning requires understanding. Memorizing isn't understanding. It
was proved over 100 years ago that rote memorization isn't even a
mediocre way of teaching.

Yes and no, depends what it trying to be learned. Memorization can be
learning. People learn what they WANT and NEED to learn. No one ever
truly learns by having something forced on them. "A man convinced
against his will is still of the same opinion."

So let them get on radio immediately with no testing. The method has
been available since the 60s.

IT'S CALLED CB! You want HF? Get on 11 meters. You want UHF? Get
on 465. It's all there.

Same old tired CB argument again....yawn.....Yes, you can get on CB,
Family Radio, GMRS and guess what, you can operate a radio and
communicate without a test and the world does not come to an end.

And leave ham radio to hams.

If you get a ham license, no matter how simple the test or no test, you
are a ham and you can use the appropriate bands for your license class.
Let's get more people into the service and hobby, let them explore and
learn what they want - not what you want them to learn.

Or, as has happened over the past few decades, they won't. But now
that you said they will ... magic ... they will, eh?

Oh but yes they do. Some more than others. Your statement is baseless
and simply an opinion. So is mine. A gratuitous statement can be
refuted by an equally gratuitous statement.

So those who seek answers become hams - those who don't become CBers.
What's with the "everyone is equal even if the only way to achieve it
is to dumb the entire world down" crap?

No, those with a ham license are hams. Those without a ham license are
not hams. It's just that simple. Yup, dumb it down and bring them all in.

In the real world.

O.K. then, it's Mississippi.

Demanding answers without putting in any effort seems to have
substituted for learning.

I guess. This is the opinion of many old fart gate keeper hams, "I had
to pass a test to get a ham license and it was hard. So everyone else
needs to have to do what I did or it's dumbing down the license."

Yes it might be dumbing down the license. But because you had to do it,
doesn't mean it's right for the world today. Things are changing. Times
are changing. If you cannot deal with change, then just give up on life
because change is inevitable.

About like everything you've said here.

See my rule of logic about gratuitous statements as noted above.

Yes, if you're in the bottom 10%, it must surely look that way. You
get to be in the top 10% merely because that's the way you want things
to be, and heaven help the rest of us if we don't give you your way.

Yes, wouldn't a classless society be nice? Everyone treated equally?
Probably will never happen as it did not work for Russia and the Eastern
Bloc, but do we really need to have haves and have nots when it comes to
a hobby and a public service? I don't think so.
Old July 27th 06, 04:16 PM posted to alt.radio.scanner,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.scanner,rec.radio.swap

Al Klein wrote:

That's the way it *is* in ham radio if you look at it through the same
glasses you're looking at model railroading through. You want to use
different scales to weigh the same thing, then claim it weighs a
different amount? Sorry, but I don't play that game.

Gosh Al, you really have a sour perspective of the world. No wonder all
your writings are so anger filled.
Old July 27th 06, 04:46 PM posted to alt.radio.scanner,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.scanner,rec.radio.swap

J. D. B. wrote:
Al Klein wrote:

Or, as has happened over the past few decades, they won't. But now
that you said they will ... magic ... they will, eh?

Oh but yes they do. Some more than others. Your statement is baseless
and simply an opinion. So is mine. A gratuitous statement can be
refuted by an equally gratuitous statement.

Demanding answers without putting in any effort seems to have
substituted for learning.

I guess. This is the opinion of many old fart gate keeper hams, "I had
to pass a test to get a ham license and it was hard. So everyone else
needs to have to do what I did or it's dumbing down the license."

and maybe the test took was harder than it had any real reason to be

if that was the case I am sorry but that is no reason to keep making or
rather go back to making the SAME mistake

Old July 27th 06, 10:06 PM posted to alt.radio.scanner,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.scanner,rec.radio.swap

an old freind wrote:
J. D. B. wrote:
Al Klein wrote:

Or, as has happened over the past few decades, they won't. But now
that you said they will ... magic ... they will, eh?

Oh but yes they do. Some more than others. Your statement is baseless
and simply an opinion. So is mine. A gratuitous statement can be
refuted by an equally gratuitous statement.

Demanding answers without putting in any effort seems to have
substituted for learning.

I guess. This is the opinion of many old fart gate keeper hams, "I had
to pass a test to get a ham license and it was hard. So everyone else
needs to have to do what I did or it's dumbing down the license."

and maybe the test took was harder than it had any real reason to be

BWHAHAHAHAHA You couldn't read or comprehend it even so, retard. "Test
took" BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!

if that was the case I am sorry

You sure are a sorry sack of ****, Markie.

Canada want to drop the code! Hamguy Swap 65 May 5th 05 02:31 PM
The Pool Alun Policy 81 June 4th 04 03:30 AM
New ARRL Proposal N2EY Policy 331 March 4th 04 12:02 AM
NCVEC NPRM for elimination of horse and buggy morse code requirement. Keith Policy 1 July 31st 03 03:46 AM