Old July 23rd 06, 03:40 AM posted to alt.radio.scanner,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.scanner,rec.radio.swap

Default You're not a real ham if you never took or passed a Code test.

Slow Code wrote:
Just thought you should know that.
OTOH SC I am not disqualified from being a real ham by your title

Old July 24th 06, 05:13 AM posted to alt.radio.scanner,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.scanner,rec.radio.swap

Are you ****ing stoned???

If it weren't for no code, there would be no new Hams! Another 20 years and
all you legitimate code endorsed hams will be dx'ing with the worms. We have
to go with the times fool!

We've already lost 80% of interest to the Internet and all the IM's email
and all.. You clearly are living in the dark ages..

If we are to save amateur radio at all, we need numbers. We've already lost
too much spectrum due to the lack of use. So what if no code'rs gain access
to HF? It's either that or we loose HF to the commercial interests.

I took the 13 and used code a grand total of one time in the last 16 years.

Asshole.

"Slow Code" wrote in message
nk.net...
Just thought you should know that.

Help save Ham radio and ignore Markie to save
usenet. Thanks

1- No more automatic renewals. Individuals must retest and pass all
elements required for their license class every ten years.

2- The passing score for written exams needs to be raised to 85%.

3- Code elements should be 13 wpm for General, and 20 wpm for Extra.

4- Make the no-code license one year non-renewable.

5- Cancel your ARRL membership until they decide to work to improve
things and stop them from proposing ham radio that is like CB.

Old July 24th 06, 01:36 PM posted to alt.radio.scanner,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.scanner,rec.radio.swap

On Sun, 23 Jul 2006 21:13:25 -0700, "Jimmy Mac"
wrote:

Another 20 years and
all you legitimate code endorsed hams will be dx'ing with the worms. We have
to go with the times fool!

Oh? Then you're in favor of REAL testing about digital modes? Like
questions on how Rayleigh fading limits bit rates on HF? That sort of
"the times"? (Or didn't you know that, without frame shifting,
digital modes cause problems on HF?)

Or are you one of those who favors as little testing as can be gotten
away with?

If we are to save amateur radio at all, we need numbers.

So you'd rather have millions of unqualified hams who know nothing
about radio than a few hundred thousand who do. We already have a
Citizen's Band - we don't need a dozen more of them.
Old July 24th 06, 01:49 PM posted to alt.radio.scanner,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.scanner,rec.radio.swap

Al Klein wrote:
On Sat, 22 Jul 2006 08:45:57 -0400, "ohioradioham"
wrote:

Blow Code - your ideas will damn amateur radio and kill it.

That's evidently why the number of hams kept decreasing until code was
eliminated, right?

The drop would have been far worse than it is now had the CW testing
speed not been reduced.

Oh, wait a minute - the numbers didn't START decreasing until code was
eliminated.

Sorry Al, but the drop of CW came around the explosion of the Internet.
Young people see our hobby as outdated and the CW testing requirement
reinforces that. What to see a huge drop in licenses? Bring back CW
testing for all licenses and raise the speeds again. There will be
hardly any new licenses issued if someone made such a gross and stupid
error in judgement.

Forcing CW onto newcomers will only turn them away
from amateur radio since CW is seen by outsiders as old-fashioned and
out-of-date. This is the 21st Century and people do not want to be forced
to learn and use and communication method developed in the 19th Century.

People today don't want to be forced to learn - whether it's CW, or
how to build a trivial little interface between a transceiver (modern
invention) and a computer (another modern invention), or some antenna
theory. Just hand them a license and a radio and they want to be on
the air.

Grow up and face reality.

Reality is that ham radio is turning into a multi-band CB - just buy a
radio and get on the air without actually knowing how it works or how
to use it.

CW testing has nothing to do with knowing how the radio works or how it
operates. Thanks for reinforcing some of my previous positions.

The ham bands were filled with idiots when we had all that CW testing.
CW testing has never kept out the idiots and never will.

Besides, since the US is a democracy, the ham bands will turn into
whatever we let it turn into because the majority rules and CW freaks
like yourself are increasingly in the minority.
Old July 24th 06, 01:56 PM posted to alt.radio.scanner,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.scanner,rec.radio.swap

Al Klein wrote:

Or are you one of those who favors as little testing as can be gotten
away with?

Yup, as a person who has been a ham for 35 years, yup that's what I believe.

If we are to save amateur radio at all, we need numbers.

I absolutely agree.

So you'd rather have millions of unqualified hams who know nothing
about radio than a few hundred thousand who do.

Yup, that's what I also believe. Get people into the service and they
will start learning what they need to know on their own.

We already have a
Citizen's Band - we don't need a dozen more of them.

Actually the CB argument is really old. I got a CB radio for a trip two
years ago so my 20 something daughters could talk on it. The reality is
that hardly anyone is on CB either. Channel 19 was pretty quiet
compared to what is sounded like 20 years ago.

So not only are people avoiding ham radio, they are also avoiding CB.
Find a new argument Al for keeping people out of ham radio will you?

Old July 25th 06, 04:47 AM posted to alt.radio.scanner,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.scanner,rec.radio.swap

On Mon, 24 Jul 2006 08:49:35 -0400, "J. D. B."
wrote:

Young people see our hobby as outdated and the CW testing requirement
reinforces that. What to see a huge drop in licenses? Bring back CW
testing for all licenses and raise the speeds again. There will be
hardly any new licenses issued if someone made such a gross and stupid
error in judgement.

The drop started MANY years before CW was dropped. Want to increase
the number of hams? Eliminate cellular phones (a lot of people got on
the air to have communications in the car) and the internet - since
those are two of the prime causes of lack of interest in ham radio
today.

CW testing has nothing to do with knowing how the radio works or how it
operates.

But many of the same people who want to eliminate CW also want to
eliminate any tests that would really test for knowledge. It's not CW
they want to eliminate, it's effort. You can cheat on written tests
but, since you can't cheat much on CW (although some have), they want
it eliminated. Not just kept for one class of license. What's wrong
with code-free HF, but an additional class with, say, a 20wpm CW test?
It would have nothing to do with the number of people becoming hams.
But those who are opposed to CW testing are opposed to ALL CW testing.
Getting on the air - with the highest class license available is, to
them, their right.

It's like people who are adamantly opposed to having driver's licenses
revoked because "driving is a right".

Sorry, but getting on the public airwaves is not a right.

Besides, since the US is a democracy, the ham bands will turn into
whatever we let it turn into because the majority rules

Democracy is a form of government that protects the minority from the
excesses of the majority - the majority doesn't need protection from
itself.
Old July 25th 06, 04:50 AM posted to alt.radio.scanner,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.scanner,rec.radio.swap

On Mon, 24 Jul 2006 08:56:58 -0400, "J. D. B."
wrote:

Yup, that's what I also believe. Get people into the service and they
will start learning what they need to know on their own.

What color is the sky on your world? (If you were correct, most CBers
would have a pretty good knowledge of electronics and propagation.)

So not only are people avoiding ham radio, they are also avoiding CB.

So how does CW enter into things?

Find a new argument Al for keeping people out of ham radio will you?

Oh? It's not MY argument that CW keeps people from using radios, it's
YOURS! And you just destroyed your own best argument.

Old July 25th 06, 05:57 AM posted to alt.radio.scanner,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.scanner,rec.radio.swap

I can't for the life of me understand why there is so much concern over
learning code. After 20 yrs in radiation physics (ionizing, not RF
communications) as a living, I finally decided to go for an amature
radio license. It wasn't until I got here that I learned about this
rift in the community (I have seen it in a few places)....granted it
may be a few spirited individuals on each side that perpetuate this
argument of learning code. I'm very dismayed by this rift, I wanted to
join a fellow group of RF communication enthusianists. I don't need a
segration here too...there is enough of that society already, I don't
need that in a hobby too. I hear my family calling....thats were my
time needs to be spent.
Bruce
Duluth, MN

Old July 25th 06, 01:33 PM posted to alt.radio.scanner,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.scanner,rec.radio.swap

On 24 Jul 2006 21:57:39 -0700, "BruceMN44" wrote:

argument of learning code. I'm very dismayed by this rift, I wanted to
join a fellow group of RF communication enthusianists. I don't need a
segration here too...there is enough of that society already, I don't
need that in a hobby too.

There are rifts in all hobbies.

Canada want to drop the code! Hamguy Swap 65 May 5th 05 02:31 PM
The Pool Alun Policy 81 June 4th 04 03:30 AM
New ARRL Proposal N2EY Policy 331 March 4th 04 12:02 AM
NCVEC NPRM for elimination of horse and buggy morse code requirement. Keith Policy 1 July 31st 03 03:46 AM