Old August 26th 08, 01:30 AM posted to rec.antiques.radio+phono,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Default WTB : LPAM Part 15 Transmitter BCB

I am looking to buy a synthesized low power AM BCB transmitter for around
the house . Homebrew ok. Please state brand , condition , price .

Thanks ,
Charlie , W5COV

Old August 26th 08, 01:48 AM posted to rec.antiques.radio+phono,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

On Aug 25, 7:30*pm, "KC0EH" wrote:
I am looking to buy a synthesized low power AM BCB transmitter for around
the house . Homebrew ok. Please state brand , condition , price .

Thanks ,
Charlie , W5COV

For the money, and if you can get to Kutztown, I will have a
consignment of SSTRAN AMT3000 units. $80, including all taxes and with
the SMT chip already installed.

www.sstran.com for additional information.

Phil is a neighbor and give a very good price for the show as a
courtesy to the DVHRC. We choose not to mark them up as a courtesy to
attendees.

We recently moved into a 4200 s.f. house (grandkids and all that), the
transmitter more than covers it and gets our nearest neighbors and
then some with just the kit-supplied wire antenna.

Do a search on this NG, you will get all sorts of additional
information on this and many other transmitters.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
Old August 26th 08, 02:02 AM posted to rec.antiques.radio+phono,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Default LPAM Part 15 Transmitter BCB

"KC0EH" wrote in message
I am looking to buy a synthesized low power AM BCB transmitter for around the
house . Homebrew ok. Please state brand , condition , price .

Thanks ,
Charlie , W5COV

In case you don't get any bites on anything more to your liking, Ramsey has a
kit at
http://www.ramseyelectronics.com/cgi...ction&key=AM25.
I have one, and have used it for the past 3 years with no problems. The only
thing I can suggest if you settle for this unit is to scrap the supplied wall
wart and get a regulated, filtered 12-15V power supply. It solves a problem
with hum and distortion that the supplied power supply causes. Ramsey has known
about this problem for a long time... don't know if they still ship the kit
with the bad PSU.
Download the manual from their site to get an idea of the complexity of the kit.

Cheers!!!!
--
Dave M
MasonDG44 at comcast dot net (Just substitute the appropriate characters in the

Life is like a roll of toilet paper; the closer it gets to the end, the faster
it goes.

Old August 27th 08, 12:10 AM posted to rec.antiques.radio+phono,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
Syl Syl is offline

Peter Wieck a écrit :

For the money, and if you can get to Kutztown, I will have a
consignment of SSTRAN AMT3000 units. $80, including all taxes and with
the SMT chip already installed.

Peter,

That transmitter is NOT FCC part 15 compliant for what I know.

This would be misleading as the OP requests a part 15 transmitter
BCB.

Syls
Old August 27th 08, 12:41 AM posted to rec.antiques.radio+phono,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

"Syl" wrote in message
Peter Wieck a écrit :

For the money, and if you can get to Kutztown, I will have a
consignment of SSTRAN AMT3000 units. $80, including all taxes and with
the SMT chip already installed.

Peter,

That transmitter is NOT FCC part 15 compliant for what I know.

This would be misleading as the OP requests a part 15 transmitter
BCB.

Syls

Syl

I believe it meets the FCC regs regarding "homemade" Part
15 devices; and would be limited to the maximum number
of units allowed per individual--five, if I recall correctly.

Pete

Old August 27th 08, 12:59 AM posted to rec.antiques.radio+phono,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
Syl Syl is offline

Tio Pedro a écrit :

Syl

I believe it meets the FCC regs regarding "homemade" Part
15 devices; and would be limited to the maximum number
of units allowed per individual--five, if I recall correctly.

Pete

Dear Senor Pedro,

That "part" is unclear to me. I try to understand what makes
a transmitter Part 15 compliant when homemade as opposed
to a commercial unit. Does the 100mw input still holds
(but owner/builder doesn't have to get "approved" by FCC) or
is it a don't get caught transmitting on a commercial
frequency -i.e. create interferences- and you'll do fine thing ?

Syl
Old August 27th 08, 01:36 AM posted to rec.antiques.radio+phono,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

On Aug 26, 6:10*pm, Syl wrote:
Peter Wieck a écrit :

For the money, and if you can get to Kutztown, I will have a
consignment of SSTRAN AMT3000 units. $80, including all taxes and with
the SMT chip already installed.

Peter,

That transmitter is NOT FCC part 15 compliant for what I know.

This would be misleading as the OP requests a part 15 transmitter
BCB.

Syls

From the website:

· Legal to use in the US, no FCC license required

· Fully compliant with FCC Part 15 regulations

· 100 mW input power

· 100% Modulation

· 20Hz to 20kHz ±1 dB Audio Response

· Very Low Distortion

· Adjustable Audio Compressor/Limiter

· 10 kHz and 9 kHz channel spacing options

· High Quality PC Board and Components

· Comprehensive Instruction Manual

This is a "HOME MADE" unit - which means that it must meet maximum
power radiation requirements, antenna developed length requirements
and various other regulations. EXACTLY the same as the Ramsey kit, the
AES kit, the L'il 7 Kit and any of several others.

What it is NOT is approved to be sold as a full-built unit.

Makes it Part 15 - compliant.

But, by removing the spaces, you can get chapter-and-verse from Phil
Bolyn at info at sstran dot com.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
Old August 27th 08, 01:40 AM posted to rec.antiques.radio+phono,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

In article , Syl
wrote:

Tio Pedro a écrit :

Syl

I believe it meets the FCC regs regarding "homemade" Part
15 devices; and would be limited to the maximum number
of units allowed per individual--five, if I recall correctly.

Pete

Dear Senor Pedro,

That "part" is unclear to me. I try to understand what makes
a transmitter Part 15 compliant when homemade as opposed
to a commercial unit. Does the 100mw input still holds
(but owner/builder doesn't have to get "approved" by FCC) or
is it a don't get caught transmitting on a commercial
frequency -i.e. create interferences- and you'll do fine thing ?

I would have to check the CFR to be sure, but IIRC building a homemade Part 15
compliant transmitter doesn't absolve you from the basic requirements for
operation in the MW broadcast band like keeping the DC input power to the final
below 100 mW and the length of the antenna/ground system to 3 meters or less, I
think homemade status only eliminates the need to do the more complex
certification tests necessary for commercial units.

I also suspect that if you are using a Part 15 transmitter, either homemade or
commercial, and it interferes with a commercial frequency, then it is your
responsibility to resolve the interference problem, or shut the transmitter
down, I don't think commercial units get any special privileges in this regard,
although again I would have to check the CFR to be sure.

--
Regards,

John Byrns

Old August 27th 08, 01:57 AM posted to rec.antiques.radio+phono,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

In article ,
Peter Wieck wrote:

On Aug 26, 6:10*pm, Syl wrote:
Peter Wieck a écrit :

For the money, and if you can get to Kutztown, I will have a
consignment of SSTRAN AMT3000 units. $80, including all taxes and with
the SMT chip already installed.

Peter,

That transmitter is NOT FCC part 15 compliant for what I know.

This would be misleading as the OP requests a part 15 transmitter
BCB.

From the website:

· Legal to use in the US, no FCC license required

· Fully compliant with FCC Part 15 regulations

· 100 mW input power

· 100% Modulation

· 20Hz to 20kHz ±1 dB Audio Response

· Very Low Distortion

· Adjustable Audio Compressor/Limiter

This is a misleading statement, the SSTRAN AMT3000 does not include a limiter,
manufacturers claims not withstanding. A traditional limiter as used with AM
transmitters controls the modulation peaks, either by a clipping operation, or
with a high speed peak activated AGC amplifier, the SSTRAN AMT3000 includes
neither of these circuits. The so called "Compressor/Limiter" used in the
SSTRAN AMT3000 is an RMS controlled AGC amplifier with a knee in its compression
curve. The RMS control means that it doesn't pay any attention to the peak
levels that cause over modulation. SSTRAN calls it a "Limiter" because of the
knee in the compression curve, but it fails to operate as expected of a limiter
to prevent over modulation.

--
Regards,

John Byrns

Old August 27th 08, 02:24 AM posted to rec.antiques.radio+phono,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

"Syl" wrote in message
Tio Pedro a écrit :

Dear Senor Pedro,

That "part" is unclear to me. I try to understand what makes
a transmitter Part 15 compliant when homemade as opposed
to a commercial unit. Does the 100mw input still holds
(but owner/builder doesn't have to get "approved" by FCC) or
is it a don't get caught transmitting on a commercial
frequency -i.e. create interferences- and you'll do fine thing ?

Syl

Mon Ami

I tried googling the FCC website, but not much luck...
There is (was) a section that mentioned that it was legal to build
a part 15 transmitter, provided it meet the FCC requirements for
regarding power, antenna limitations and spectral purity. There
was a limit on the number of such devices that could be built and
owned by individual as well.

Pete