Old November 12th 08, 12:24 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Default Article about a portable PC that runs on 12v?

JIMMIE wrote:

I know I dont have a problem with Linux either but casual users here
in the states are afraid of it. I use Linux or various versions daily
at work and love it. They are selling for about $270 here in the states.
Still a bargain. I was in the process of building a car PC but that
project ended when I found net-books.

I can't understand the reluctance of the Americans to use Linux. There has
been no real reason to use Windows for a long time (unless you want to play
games, but a PS3 is best for that). Over here in Europe, Linux uptake
continues rapidly - as each new Windows virus or worm hits, ever more people
and businesses migrate.

The last time I entered the 'States, the Customs guy demanded to look at my
laptop, and see that it would actually work and that I wasn't importing a
bomb. I started it up, and got my very pretty 3D Gnome desktop up, and he
asked me what it was. I then got a lecture about how it was "un-American"
and "Commie" not to use Windows! The fact that I am a Brit, and that Fedora
(my usual distro of choice) is American, entirely passed him by...

Bob

Old November 11th 08, 09:31 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

KC7PM wrote:
I saw something in the last year or two about building a PC that runs
entirely on 12V and with low power consumption. Does anyone know on 1.6
where I can find that article or website?

The new generationn of mini-laptops like Asus eeePC and I believe also
the similar devices from Acer and Dell run on 12 V -DC
They all use a Pentium Atom N270 processor

Frank GM0CSZ / KN6WH

PS:I am happy with the ASUS eeePC
Old November 14th 08, 10:49 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

KC7PM wrote:
I saw something in the last year or two about building a PC that runs
entirely on 12V and with low power consumption. Does anyone know
where I can find that article or website?

Oh you can roll your own quite easily. Go to http://www.mini-box.com
and put together a combination of case, system board, and power supply.
You'll need to add memory and disk to it, as well. I'm currently using
an Intel system board (D945GCLF2) which comes with a dual core Atom 330
processor soldered on. I'm running my on 110VAC but it's quite a
capable system board and I wouldn't hesitate to try to build a 12VDC
system around it.
Old November 18th 08, 11:51 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

#!/bin/bash wrote:

KC7PM wrote:

I saw something in the last year or two about building a PC that runs
entirely on 12V and with low power consumption. Does anyone know
where I can find that article or website?

Oh you can roll your own quite easily. Go to http://www.mini-box.com
and put together a combination of case, system board, and power supply.
You'll need to add memory and disk to it, as well. I'm currently using
an Intel system board (D945GCLF2) which comes with a dual core Atom 330
processor soldered on. I'm running my on 110VAC but it's quite a
capable system board and I wouldn't hesitate to try to build a 12VDC
system around it.

Of course you can roll your own switchmode psu from 12 volts to whatever
votage a laptop requires. That would be easiest. I've made a couple from
a circuit in the Aussie magazine "Silicon Chip" a year or so back and
they have worked well. The output can be varied from 12 volts to about
20 volts at up to 3 amps with no problems. I used mine to run a laptop
to drive my telescope in the field from a car battery supply.
Cliff Wright ZL1BDA