Old January 16th 16, 12:24 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Default Power Pole Connectors

Decided to Power Pole all the 12V gear here (Why I ever decided to put
a detachable 12V lead via an octal plug/socket combination on my HB
QRP 80M rig is beyond me!) and discovered Torberry down in Waterlooville,
Hants.

Ordered enough yesterday, and prompt delivery today!

Well done that firm! (No connection with them (apart from the Power Poles
:-) ) )

Old January 16th 16, 12:49 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

"gareth" wrote:
Decided to Power Pole all the 12V gear here (Why I ever decided to put
a detachable 12V lead via an octal plug/socket combination on my HB
QRP 80M rig is beyond me!) and discovered Torberry down in Waterlooville,
Hants.

Ordered enough yesterday, and prompt delivery today!

Well done that firm! (No connection with them (apart from the Power Poles
:-) ) )

Did they come with a manual? If so, are all pages present?

--
STC // M0TEY // twitter.com/ukradioamateur
Old January 16th 16, 03:51 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

"gareth" wrote in message
Decided to Power Pole all the 12V gear here (Why I ever decided to put
a detachable 12V lead via an octal plug/socket combination on my HB
QRP 80M rig is beyond me!) and discovered Torberry down in Waterlooville,
Hants.

Ordered enough yesterday, and prompt delivery today!

Well done that firm! (No connection with them (apart from the Power Poles
:-) ) )

For a good number of years a friend and I used some 2 pin Molex type plugs
for the 12 volt power so they would all interchange. They were not rated for
the current of the later devices and started to be difficult to find.

We have now switched over to the power poles like some of the rest of the
country. There is a recommended way to pair them up as sort of a 'standard'
so people in different parts of the country can swap out the gear if wanted.

While there are several varities of them, they make some that use the same
plastic housing and the contacts are different only in the size of wire
they are made for. I think it is the 15, 30,45 amp ones that are that way.

I hope you spent afew more dollars and bought the crimping tool for them.
Makes instlling them well worth the $ 20 or for the tool.

Old January 16th 16, 04:18 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

On 16/01/16 15:51, Ralph Mowery wrote:

For a good number of years a friend and I used some 2 pin Molex type plugs
for the 12 volt power so they would all interchange. They were not rated for
the current of the later devices and started to be difficult to find.

We have now switched over to the power poles like some of the rest of the
country. There is a recommended way to pair them up as sort of a 'standard'
so people in different parts of the country can swap out the gear if wanted.

While there are several varities of them, they make some that use the same
plastic housing and the contacts are different only in the size of wire
they are made for. I think it is the 15, 30,45 amp ones that are that way.

I hope you spent afew more dollars and bought the crimping tool for them.
Makes instlling them well worth the $ 20 or for the tool.

I generally solder mine but I should really invest in a crimp tool, it
is far less fiddly.

It is also worth investing in some of the accessories- eg the PVC
'boots' and panel mount holders, plus the pins to 'lock' blocks of
connectors together if you are making your own multi-way connectors.

The plastic clips to hold a 'back to back' pair together are also
useful, especially if there is any risk of the connectors being pulled
apart.

You can also get bushes to allow finer wire to be used in the larger
connectors.

The groove on the body of the shell can by used to lock the connector in
a plastic or metal box, at the top edge. Handy for homebrewing. I use a
small plastic box and fit a resetable fuse inside to convert the various
handheld leads to powerpower.

--
Why you should not ignore animal neglect and cruelty:
http://www.caar-uk.org/why.html
Old January 16th 16, 04:18 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

"Ralph Mowery" wrote in message
"gareth" wrote in message
[...]

No, couldn't find the accompanying advert for the crimpers so will probably
solder the connections
unless I can find a man who has the crimpers already. That is, unless I
fashion
a crimping block in my metal working workshop; how big is the hole for
the 30 Amp pins when the crimper is closed?

Old January 16th 16, 05:47 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

"gareth" wrote in message
[...]

No worries for the person who introduced me to Power Poles in practice, a
model
engineer for whom I was diagnosing a lock-up in the motor controller of his
5" gauge Class 45
diesel will lend me his crimper.

Old January 16th 16, 06:00 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

"gareth" wrote in message
[...]

I also used the Molex 2-pin connectors for many years. It may have been
a Heathkit or an Icom FM radio that got me started. Then the local ARES
guys came up with a "standard" that was backwards from what I had! As
far as I can tell, the PowerPole standard is fairly universal.

I believe the 45 Amp terminals are open barrel, and the 30 Amp terminals
are cylindrical barrel. Before the expensive open barrel crimp tool was
introduced, they recommended a common Gardner-Bender tool that put a
deep dimple in the back of the 30 Amp barrel. You could open the barrel
slightly and use it with 10 AWG stranded wire.

Do not use tension pins to lock connector housings together. There is a
high probability they will come out, and could short-circuit any
electronic equipment they fall into. Instead, use super glue to join
them. Some are sold already glued together.

Other than tension pins falling out, the only other problem I've had was
when the terminal did not "click" when inserted into its housing.

Fred
K4DII
Old January 17th 16, 12:44 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

"gareth" wrote in message
[...]

Borrowed it this morning, only to find that it's not an Anderson crimper
but a Draper one. Still, here goes ...

Old January 17th 16, 02:39 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

"gareth" wrote in message

A little disappointed as I had thought that the black and red ones wouldn't
interlink, but
this is only true of they're paired together as in the demo ...

http://www.g0hwc.com/anderson-powerpole.html

Old January 17th 16, 03:31 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

On 17/01/2016 14:39, gareth wrote:
"gareth" wrote in message

A little disappointed as I had thought that the black and red ones wouldn't
interlink, but
this is only true of they're paired together as in the demo ...

http://www.g0hwc.com/anderson-powerpole.html

ha ha suckered.....

--
Cheat your way through life, join the Freemasons
DIGITAL just doesn't work properly most of the time

Power Pole Connectors gareth Equipment 32 January 29th 16 08:09 AM
Help - Heathkit GR-78 Rx - power connectors Simon Boatanchors 4 July 17th 07 03:01 PM
Power Pole Fuse Blowing Out, audio Ron Hardin Shortwave 8 August 18th 04 07:43 PM
Power pole connectors JDer8745 General 2 July 19th 04 03:48 PM
Source for Yaesu Power Cable Connectors? Brian Kelly Equipment 0 June 14th 04 03:00 PM