Old September 1st 03, 11:36 PM
WA8ULX

Reason Im asking is that I was there the night before it happened. Just
curious.

Dan/W4NTI

Hey Dan brings back Memories, did you ever hang out at RAYS. Man we had some
Wild times there.
Old September 2nd 03, 01:18 AM
Kim W5TIT

"Dan/W4NTI" w4nti@get rid of this mindspring.com wrote in message
link.net...

"Kim W5TIT" wrote in message
"Dan/W4NTI" w4nti@get rid of this mindspring.com wrote in message
link.net...

Oh, now ur claiming to be a 'flower child'? Don't think so. Or

perhaps
you came in after things ended, eh? A wannabee flower child? Now

thats
real probabliity.

"Make love not War"

"War is dangerous to all living things"

etc.

Dan/W4NTI

Do you have to practice at being an asshole, Dan, or does it come that
naturally?

Kim W5TIT

You bring out the best in me Kim.

Dan/W4NTI

That's a given, Dan. We all know you're an asshole. That wasn't the
question. The question is do you have to practice?

Kim W5TIT

Old September 2nd 03, 01:25 AM
Kim W5TIT

"Dan/W4NTI" w4nti@get rid of this mindspring.com wrote in message
hlink.net...

"Brian" wrote in message
om...
(N2EY) wrote in message

Heck, from all accounts most of those who set out for Woodstock never

actually
got there due to traffic snarls.

I especially like the ones who claimed they were both at Woodstock and
in Vietnam. They probably saw both movies.

The summer of 1969 was when human beings first set foot on the moon.

That's
what I think of first when that time is mentioned.

I was 11. I remember selling flower seeds door to door to earn a West
Ben fishing pole. And my Dad getting orders to Thailand.

So what has all this do do with code?

My my Brian....how is it so hard for you to figure a person could be a
veteran of VN and be at Kent State also? You really must be a dumb ass.

I was at Kent State visiting my cousin the evening before the shootings.
The national guard had blocked the streets and the kids were running up

and
down the street throwing rocks, etc.

I had my military ID checked by the Guard on my way out of town. The next
day the shootings occured. ( I was in-active reserve status).

I was discharged in 1968. I went back to Thailand as a civilian and
returned stateside in December of 69. My original home is Alliance, Ohio.
Thats about 34 miles South of Kent, Ohio.

You can now wipe the slobber off your chin.

Dan/W4NTI

Good grief, Dan. You're a gorilla thumping your chest... That's a total
turn-off.

Kim W5TIT

Old September 2nd 03, 03:39 AM
N2EY

In article .net, "Dan/W4NTI"
w4nti@get rid of this mindspring.com writes:

The summer of 1969 was when human beings first set foot on the moon.
That's what I think of first when that time is mentioned.

73 de Jim, N2EY

In the summer of 69 I was mellowing out in a Klong House in Bangkok
Thailand.

HAW! That's a good one, Dan!

73 de Jim, N2EY

Old September 2nd 03, 03:39 AM
N2EY

In article , "Kim"
writes:

(lotta snippage)

But you're still planting flowers, and liking jewelry. Same difference.

Yeah, but I like to think that I'm being a bit of a renegade. Actually, I
don't like things all the same. Remember the good 'ol "Neighborhood
Association" debates that have come and gone here? I'm against them, for
whatever purpose; and would be so very, very depressed if I ever have to
live "in" one.

Same here. But the reason those associations exist is fear - fear that folks
won't keep up their properties in a reasonable manner if there is no mechanism
to force them.

And, as for jewelery. That is a going joke in my family. I love jewelery.
Even used to work at Ed Levin Jewelers long ago. Love to get it as a
present. Don't spend much time shopping for it or being distracted by it,
though, if set against the rest of my female population. A couple of years
ago I asked for, and received, one of those standing jewelery chests. It's
about half full. Every once in a while I'll spend an hour or two taking all
my pretties out and looking at them. LOL But, save on rare occasions,
you'll not find me with a piece on--not even my wedding band. Just don't
like the feeling of anything around me, I guess.

To each his own. I collect radio parts.

Anyway, you're right about the more we tried to be different, the
more we were the same. Uh, but we were the same together

Groovy, baby!

Gads!!! That's so funny.

Just an Austin Powers reference.

I never got into the beatniky-hippie kind of
lingo. Heck, I don't think I could even be classified as a true hippie--I
am just a couple of years too late fer it.

So am I.

Oh, now ur claiming to be a 'flower child'? Don't think so. Or
perhaps
you came in after things ended, eh? A wannabee flower child? Now
thats a
real probabliity.

Bummer, man! Why such a downer?

Some folks can be no other way.

Naw, I think Dan can be a real up guy most of the time. Cool dude.

Woodstock? Let's see, that was late summer 1969, when Kim was 15 if memory
serves. I don't think a responsible parent would let their 15-year-old go
to such a "happening".

Yep, 14 though.

All the more reason.

And, you're right. I had friends whose parents were much
more lenient than mine who went.

I'd call it "irresponsible" rather than "lenient".

I was going with them. Until I asked my parents...LOL

Even at that age I knew better.

Heck, from all accounts most of those who set out for Woodstock never
actually got there due to traffic snarls. Some of the performers had to be
helicoptered in and out, and some never made it. The whole event was
such a mess that large
outdoor festivals basically disappeared afterwards because nobody with
half a
brain would issue the necessary permits. (Altamont drove the final nail in
that coffin).

It was much nicer watching from the news on it. As "free" as I liked to
think of myself back then, I am pretty sure I would definitely have been
bummed at the rain, mud, and so darned many freaks.

'zactly.

A lot of us were mad that the clueless promoters had ruined the whole festival
scene by their incompetence. Even 30 years later there were problems doing
another one.

Give me the Philadelphia Folk Festival any day. Well managed, excellent acts,
good sound and video, well behaved crowd and it's been held every year since
long before that place in NY. People take their kids and grandkids. No visible
booze or drugs.

Counterculture? Check this out: The promoters who put on the Woodstock
festival
lost big piles of money on the concert. The whole thing was too big for
them to
control - early on they even lost the ability to collect admission. There
was
even talk of civil suits over huge unpaid expenses BUT....

I think there was more than talk. Did Yeager/Yager/Yeger (however his name
is spelled) think there was loads to be had in a suit and begin the process
until it was explained to him the debaucle of the whole thing?

Max Yasgur, now dead, I think. I'm sure he got a piece of the pie. Point was,
they made a mint from the whole "counterculture" aspect of it.

The promoters had done one smart thing: They owned the rights to almost
all
recordings (film and sound) made at the festival. So they made a
documentary
movie and record album for very little money, and made back all their
losses
and millions more. Good old capitalism...

Bought the album. You know, the one with the little kid on it? GRIN
It's the only album where I've heard Joan singing the song "Sweet Sir
Gallahad" ('least I think that's the name of it) and gosh I like that song.

Never bought the album - it was so overplayed on FM radio around here there was
no need to. Saw the movie on PBS some years back and was amazed at how awful it
was. But they both made a pile of money. Good ol' cappitalism...

Remember the song "Woodstock", made famous by Crosby Stills Nash and
Young? It
was actually written by Joni Mitchell (who also performed the first
version).
But Mitchell was not at the Woodstock festival at all!

Turns out CSNY had talked her out of going because she was to be a guest on the
Dick Cavett show (remember HIM?) and they said she'd never be back in time. Of
course if she'd gone they'd have given her serious stage time.

Then they got themselves helicoptered in and out of the festival, and crashed
the Cavett show. They wound up being interviewed along with Mitchell, who said
only a few words because, after all, she wasn't there. The look on her face
said it all....

The summer of 1969 was when human beings first set foot on the moon.
That's what I think of first when that time is mentioned.

Yeah, Summer 1970 saw the tragedy at Kent State...the beginning of the end.

End of what? Looking back, I'm amazed only four died in the Kent State mess.
Days of near-riot conditions, kids throwing rocks and teargas canisters back at
National Guardsmen (who were untrained in riot control)? KS was not a
nonviolent demonstration.

By the way, I'd have guessed you were an old hippie, Jim.

Not me. I could never afford it. I went to engineering school, remember? I
always thought that to build a better world, one had to know how to build
things in the first place. So I learned how to do electrical engineering. And
I'm still at it.

There's no substitute for actually knowing how to do things, and doing them.
Remember the movies "The Magnificent Seven" (actually a remake of "The Seven
Samurai"? The farmers (productive people) does not need the bandits (moochers).
But the bandits sure need the farmers!

Some good things came out of those times. Those are the things to remember.

At least there's still a few left upholding the original ideals.

Yeah, baby!

Actually, you might be surprised at how simple my "ideals" really are.

I gave up.

Not me.

73 de Jim, N2EY

Old September 2nd 03, 09:05 PM
Dan/W4NTI

"WA8ULX" wrote in message
Reason Im asking is that I was there the night before it happened. Just
curious.

Dan/W4NTI

Hey Dan brings back Memories, did you ever hang out at RAYS. Man we had

some
Wild times there.

Don't remember actually. Only went there that one evening. Kent really
wasn't my kind of town.

Dan/W4NTI

Old September 2nd 03, 09:16 PM
Steve Stone

You completely forgot the part about you being at Woodstock and
Vietnam.

Actually anyone who said they were at Woodstock was really in Bethel.
Woodstock is up the road a piece.

Old September 2nd 03, 09:20 PM
Dan/W4NTI

"Brian" wrote in message
om...
"Dan/W4NTI" w4nti@get rid of this mindspring.com wrote in message

thlink.net...
"Brian" wrote in message
om...
(N2EY) wrote in message

Heck, from all accounts most of those who set out for Woodstock

never
actually
got there due to traffic snarls.

I especially like the ones who claimed they were both at Woodstock and
in Vietnam. They probably saw both movies.

The summer of 1969 was when human beings first set foot on the moon.

That's
what I think of first when that time is mentioned.

I was 11. I remember selling flower seeds door to door to earn a West
Ben fishing pole. And my Dad getting orders to Thailand.

So what has all this do do with code?

My my Brian....how is it so hard for you to figure a person could be a
veteran of VN and be at Kent State also?

Do you confuse Kent State and Woodstock often?

You really must be a dumb ass.

Of course it's possible.

I was at Kent State visiting my cousin the evening before the shootings.
The national guard had blocked the streets and the kids were running up

and
down the street throwing rocks, etc.

I had my military ID checked by the Guard on my way out of town. The

next
day the shootings occured. ( I was in-active reserve status).

Reserves?

I was discharged in 1968. I went back to Thailand as a civilian

Back to Thailand? When were you there the 1st time? And are you
somehow implying that Thailand and Vietnam are the same place?

and
returned stateside in December of 69. My original home is Alliance,

Ohio.
Thats about 34 miles South of Kent, Ohio.

Are you related to Bruce Bunion/WA8ULX?

You can now wipe the slobber off your chin.

Dan/W4NTI

You completely forgot the part about you being at Woodstock and
Vietnam.

And the part about what this has to do with the code.

I changed the subject header, because it has nothing to do with the 'code'.

You are the one that is confused Brian. I never said a thing about
Woodstock and Vietnam and Thailand.

I said I was discharged in 1968. And yes I was in Thailand several times
during that period. I was also in Vietnam during that period. In fact,
just to make you happy here is a list of countries I was in from November
1965 to April of 1968.

Okinawa
Japan
Phillipines
Taiwan
Thailand
Vietnam

All of which were TDY (Temporary Duty) from Okinawa.

In April of 1967 I went for a full tour to Vietnam, leaving in April of
1968. Went stateside for 3 months and was discharged in July of 1968. Was
placed on inactive reserve status for two more years in order to complete my
6 year military commitment.

There is more, but this is pertenant to the discussion.

After returning stateside and dropping by to see my mother I bought a 1 way
ticket to Bangkok Thailand. Where I lived in between working in South
Vietnam as a civilian contractor. I returned stateside December of 1969.

Any questions Brian?

Dan/W4NTI