Old October 4th 03, 12:12 AM
Len Over 21

In article .net, "Dwight
Stewart" writes:

"Len Over 21" wrote:

"Dwight Stewart" writes:
I haven't purchased a program like that recently, but
surely they've gotten better over the years. Is that not
the case?

They have, but the mighty morsemen consider such to
be desecrations of the will of the old radio gods.

Well, I suspected the programs might have gotten at least somewhat better
over the years. The author of the program I had wrote about trying to
compensate for bad code by looking for patterns instead of focusing on each
individual dot and dash as it was being sent.

It is a trivial matter to do decisions on "longer" v. "shorter" once the on-
time has been converted to a numerical value...which is easily done by
a simple comparator gating a much higher repetitive pulse into a small
(8-bit) binary counter. That forms a "width-to-digital" conversion. The
count is then written into working memory and used by the main
program. Once that is in place, the main program can do its "pattern
checking" most anywhich way.

The program also didn't use
hard rules for dot, dash, and space, length, instead interpretating each as
it went along.

That part is the "adaptivity to rate" section. In an ordinary PC it is
fairly
easy to access the internal calendar clock for 100ths seconds time
hacks (actually shorter if you know the calendar-clock software details).

By comparing the overall "on" lengths it is possible to determine the
bit rate per unit time and thus the equivalent WPM rate.

Obviously, I don't know the details, but the program did do a
pretty good job considering it was just a simple programming example
included with an operating system. My only complaint was that it didn't send
code like some of the other programs advertised, but I couldn't have used
that back then anyway.

The sending part is fairly straightforward involving the keyboard addressing
a lookup table in memory and organizing the outgoing "on" and "off" times
at whatever rate is desired.

The interesting part of modifying that is to add some random variability
to the "on" and "off" times, which is selectable to bias those if desired,
and thus create the equivalent length-rate-bias "swing" of a human
telegrapher! :-) Sending is much easier to do and duplicate than
receiving.

As I said much earlier to others in here, I've seen it done and looked at
the source code, heard-seen it in action. The PCTA will not believe
it since they don't WANT to believe it so any argument with them is an
exercise in futility. :-)

As I also said earlier, there just isn't any market for such a program
since there is so little morse code communications being done in radio
now as compared to a half century ago.

LHA
Old October 4th 03, 01:00 AM
Dee D. Flint

"Brian" wrote in message
om...
"Dee D. Flint" wrote in message

y.com...

No they haven't. The two conditions you state are still problems and

good
reasons to learn to copy by ear. The human brain can sort it out when

the
computer cannot. Poorly sent and spaced code is also still a problem.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Seems like Morse Ops need to send better.

Yes some of them need to pay a lot more attention to the quality of their
sending.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Old October 6th 03, 04:35 PM
Brian

Dick Carroll wrote in message ...
Dee D. Flint wrote:
"Brian" wrote in message
om...

"Dee D. Flint" wrote in message

y.com...

No they haven't. The two conditions you state are still problems and

good

reasons to learn to copy by ear. The human brain can sort it out when

the

computer cannot. Poorly sent and spaced code is also still a problem.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Seems like Morse Ops need to send better.

Yes some of them need to pay a lot more attention to the quality of their
sending.

Why do you suppose N0IMD might find that to be a concern? Those of us
who actually work CW usually can copy variety with no problems.
His abilities are his own concern and his responsibility.
Yet he trolls on.
Lennie's understudy, for a fact.

Dick, I can copy overmodulated phone signals. But just because I can
copy them doesn't mean that they are acceptable in the ARS. Just as
poorly sent (intentionally or otherwise) CW is not acceptable in the
ARS.

It's time for you to find some other unreasonable position to
champion. This one is on its way to the Alpo factory.

Comprende?

Appalling... Clint Policy 20 September 30th 03 08:53 PM
Appalling... charlesb Policy 3 September 21st 03 07:28 AM
Appalling... Gorilla Bananna General 3 September 20th 03 03:18 PM
Appalling... garigue Policy 0 September 19th 03 10:23 PM
Appalling... WA8ULX Policy 0 September 19th 03 02:28 PM