Old October 7th 03, 04:06 AM
Dee D. Flint

"Dan/W4NTI" w4nti@get rid of this mindspring.com wrote in message
k.net...

Hey Sweepstakes is my all time favorite contest. Ill be on CW for sure.
And maybe phone also.

Two diff weekends.

Dan/W4NTI

This year the CW one falls on my OM's birthday so I may or may not get on it
this year. However next year, his birthday is not on the weekend.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Old October 7th 03, 04:10 AM
Dee D. Flint

"N2EY" wrote in message
om...
Back before restructuring, the ham who wasn't interested in
phone/image had no reason to get an Advanced. And the ham who wasn't
interested in CW/data had relatively little reason to get an Extra.

73 de Jim, N2EY

Except that I found very early on that a lot of the more interesting DX
tended to be in what are the Extra subbands in the US. So I set my sights
on getting the Extra for that reason.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Old October 7th 03, 05:41 AM
Robert Casey

the EXTRA for the EXTRA band segments, probably never will.

I mostly use them when I contest and/or chase DX on HF. Thats basically
it..

In fact that is why I decided to upgrade years ago.

Having the extra license means that I can rove up and down an entire
phone band at
will, and not having to stop at an advanced or general subband edge. No
forbidden
ham bands.... And I do rove during contests. I don't compete, but I
work the contesters
to see how far my signal propagates, etc.... Contests provide a steady
stream of
short QSOs.

Old October 7th 03, 05:58 AM
Robert Casey

Dick Carroll wrote:

You view the situation as an EE who didn't need to study to work out
any of the technical problems on the Extra exam, few that there were.
Most applicants have the singleminded goal of passing the exam, and
learning beyond that goal is not only unnecessary, it gets in the way
of the goal at hand. So they naturally just don't do it. The curent
method of testing clearly facilitates that position.

I'm a EE, and like any reasonably successful college student, I still
made use of the
avaliable resources (the question pool) to prepare for the (at the time
I took them)
elements 4A and 4B. Found a few holes in my knowledge, and filled them
in for
at least long enough to score well on the tests (missed 1 on 4A, 2 on 4B
IIRC).
Got the CSCEs, and then the extra on Restructuring Day.

Most students only study what is expected to be on the exams. Thus, I could
solve calculus exam problems (take the intergral of (csc x^5)/(tan x^2
-1) dx)
but I still never got a good understanding of how to use calculus to
solve a real
world problem. Recently went looking for a "calculus for dummies" type
book, but all they had was how to do exam problems. Been there, done that.

Old October 7th 03, 10:46 AM
Kim W5TIT

"Mike Coslo" wrote in message
et...
Kim W5TIT wrote:

"Mike Coslo" wrote in message

Dan/W4NTI wrote:

I've never thought of it that way Larry, but your 100% correct. Just

look

at Kim.

Speaking of.. I wonder if she's run off again? Her last couple of posts
didn't present her in a very good mood.

I mean plenty of people think I'm dumm, but I'm hardly ever called
dispicable! 8^)

I think there may be a pattern here!

Did I misspell despicable?

Okay by my spell checker!

snippage

Oh, and I have to ask just to see what your answer is: what "pattern"

are
you stretching for?

Since I've been here, You have gotten really angry (bored?) with
someone and quit posting for a while. Then you've returned and started
posting again.

Nothing sinister here.

- Mike KB3EIA -

So, you're so into this medium that you're of the belief you can translate
actions into behavioral observations? Eh? I just ain't into the medium,
Mike. I have gotten "really" angry, eh?

You probably need to get away from your keyboard for a while, Mike.

Kim W5TIT

Old October 7th 03, 01:37 PM
WA8ULX

Could the trend also be called progress?

No its not progress, a better term is Dumbing Down

Will it matter after BPL?

No it will be the just REWARDS for the No-Coders.
Old October 7th 03, 06:44 PM
Mike Coslo

Dick Carroll wrote:

Mike Coslo wrote:

Kim W5TIT wrote:

"Mike Coslo" wrote in message

Dan/W4NTI wrote:

I've never thought of it that way Larry, but your 100% correct. Just

look

at Kim.

Speaking of.. I wonder if she's run off again? Her last couple of posts
didn't present her in a very good mood.

I mean plenty of people think I'm dumm, but I'm hardly ever called
dispicable! 8^)

I think there may be a pattern here!

Did I misspell despicable?

Daffy Duck said it best!

Sylvester the Cat could do a pretty good "Deeee-shpick-ubble" too!

- Mike KB3EIA -

Old October 7th 03, 07:48 PM
Mike Coslo

?

Old October 7th 03, 08:01 PM
Mike Coslo

Dick Carroll wrote:

But.....how about all the Extras out there who have
successfully proceeded through the same system and emerged
with so little knowledge that they have no idea of even
how to design and build a simple *1/2* wave dipole?
With little or nothing beyond the question pools in their
libraries, many won't even know how or where to look it up.
And when(if) the day comes that won't be required to copy
ANY Morse code,one of the most used modes in ham radio,
at the most basic speed?

Understand that I'm not saying they shouldn't be hams, nor
that they shouldn't be allowed some HF access. We all start
somewhere.
But to allow them licensing into the top echelon of amateurs
is ludicrous and negates all that ham radio is supposed to stand for.

After I became an Extra, there was a time when I felt a little odd
about it. I knew all the test questions, and a lot more, but my
operation skills were really not that good. I also saw some Extras both
before and after I got my ticket who were really really green, and
needed tutoring in some real basics. I mean real operational basics. The
half wave/quarter wave dipole thing is no joke, even if we make fun of
it. The top level should be just that. As many people find out after
they leave college, there is more to life than just taking tests.
Experience should count for something.

- Mike KB3EIA -