Old February 12th 04, 03:04 AM
Mike Coslo

Alun wrote:

Mike, how is it anti-US to point that the world doesn't revolve around
America? Of course, if you think it does, then you're probably beyond help.

Do you know how all Americans think or feel about whatever issues? I
wouldn't presume to assume what "every Canadian thinks"

When I've been in Canada, I've met lots of nice folk with lots of
differing opinions - Just like us. My boy went to Hockey school there
every summer, and we often tagged along for vacation.

BTW, speaking of mistaken impressions, every time we went there, the
darn temperature was in the 90's. Canada is sure one HOT country!! 8^)

- Mike KB3EIA -

Old February 12th 04, 03:20 AM
Dee D. Flint

"Leo" wrote in message
On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 03:30:43 GMT, "Dee D. Flint"
wrote:

Agreed that the US is obviously a major player - but I'm sure that
even if they had gone their own way, the rest of the world would not
necessarily follow. The role of agencies like the ITU is to
coordinate global resources so as to prevent chaos on the bands - not
to act as an agent of US policy.

If your strongest player is sitting on the sidelines or playing for the
other team (i.e. government & commercial interests in the case of ham
radio), it's still possible to win the game but it is much harder.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Old February 12th 04, 03:26 AM
Dee D. Flint

"Leo" wrote in message
news
On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 14:43:25 -0500, Mike Coslo wrote:

Alun wrote:

Mike, how is it anti-US to point that the world doesn't revolve around
America? Of course, if you think it does, then you're probably beyond

help.

It's a troll, Alun. Go post the same message anywhere on netnews and
watch the reaction.

Mike, I didn't take Alun's message as a troll - just a response in
context to the thread to a rather lofty assertion that without the
ARRL (and by definition, the US Amateur Radio Service, since that is
all the ARRL influences), the world would never have known the joys of
Amateur Radio.

Which is just a tad jingoistic, I'd say - and nigh-on impossible to
substantiate without resorting to theory, opinion and conjecture.

If you don't believe it, then you're probably beyond help.

Of course the world doesn't revolve around the US. The world revolves
around it's axis.

How is the ARRL proposal going to affect the rest of the world's
amateurs anyway?

It won't.

Yet, according to the comments earlier in the thread, historically,
without the ARRL there would be no amateur radio anywhere in the
world.

Really? I don't think so.

- Mike KB3EIA -

We are not saying that the ARRL was the only thing that made this happen.
Simply that they were a significant player in the US and that the US was a
significant player in the world. Without the ARRL, US amateurs would have
had a much tougher time. If the US amateur community had been seriously
weakened, it would have affect to some degree the amateur community in the
rest of the world.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Old February 12th 04, 05:00 AM
N2EY

In article , Alun
writes:

They

[the ARRL]

even claim they were responsible for the no-code licence,

Where, Alun? Can you show where ARRL claims credit for the Tech losing its code
test?

when the
truth is the FCC would have introduced one 20 years earlier but for the
league's opposition!

Not true!

The Tech lost its code test in early 1991. 20 years earlier was 1971. The first
FCC attempt at a nocodetest amateur license was in 1975, and if enacted would
have not taken effect sooner than 1976. That's 15 years, not 20.

And in 1975, ARRL polled its entire membership with a detailed questionnaire. A
large and pervasive majority opposed a nocodetest ham license of any kind.

73 de Jim, N2EY

Old February 12th 04, 05:00 AM
N2EY

In article ,
(Tony Pelliccio) writes:

(N2EY) wrote in message
. com...
http://www.arrl.org/news/stories/2004/01/19/1/?nc=1

3 classes of license: Novice, General, Extra

Can we water it down any more?

There are some folks (not me!) who only want one class of license.

5 wpm code test retained for Extra only

Why not just elminate the code requirement entirely. To me 5WPM code
is so awfully slow that it's painful.

5 wpm is a minimum speed. Someone can always ask for a faster test as an
accomodation.

Existing Advanceds get free upgrade to Extra, Techs
and Tech Pluses get free upgrade to General

This free ride stuff has got to stop.

When was the last one?

I agree that the proposed free upgrades are not a good idea.

I'm a 20WPM Extra damn it - now
I can bitch and moan like the old farts. My friend KH6HZ is probably
getting a good laugh out of this.

yep.

Novice test to be 25 questions on "basics", General to be
derived from Tech and General, Extra pretty much as-is.

I suppose I can't complain much on this.

That's about the same test I took 37 years ago for my Novice...

Most of us are pretty much
appliance operators -

Not me!

when is the last time you played around with
SMT inside your radio?

No SMT in any of my ham gear. It's not necessary. And I have quite a bit of
homebrew ham gear.

73 de Jim, N2EY

Old February 12th 04, 05:06 AM
Dave Heil

Alun wrote:

Trust me. All things pass. The Roman
empire, the British empire ... you get the idea.

Let's try an experiment. Swallow an avocado seed. Report back in a few
days and let us know the results.

Dave K8MN
Old February 12th 04, 05:19 AM
Alun

"garigue" wrote in news:UOBWb.11368$uV3.27753
@attbi_s51:

The price we paid. The @#%#&$& code test!

Alun .... We really don't have to tolerate that type of language on this
newsgroup ..... I wish more guys would use the above symbols than the
language ....then we could use our imagination. I translate the above
string as "necessary" give or take a few characters.

God Bless 73 Tom KI3R

If you think I meant necessary I might have to add a few real characters in
there to dispel that notion!
Old February 12th 04, 11:59 AM
Leo

On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 22:04:35 -0500, Mike Coslo
wrote:

Alun wrote:

Mike, how is it anti-US to point that the world doesn't revolve around
America? Of course, if you think it does, then you're probably beyond help.

Do you know how all Americans think or feel about whatever issues? I
wouldn't presume to assume what "every Canadian thinks"

When I've been in Canada, I've met lots of nice folk with lots of
differing opinions - Just like us. My boy went to Hockey school there
every summer, and we often tagged along for vacation.

BTW, speaking of mistaken impressions, every time we went there, the
darn temperature was in the 90's. Canada is sure one HOT country!! 8^)

Not right now! We're in the 20's at the moment..... Brrrrrrrrr.....!

- Mike KB3EIA -

73, Leo