Old May 7th 04, 05:56 PM
N2EY

"KØHB" wrote in message ink.net...
"N2EY" wrote

Not necessarily a good comparison. Conditions during one weekend may
be better, for example.

While one mode or the other may have an advantage due to better
conditions (or whatever) in any single given year, the Nov SS contest
has been run with CW and Phone weekends 14 days apart for many decades
(1st and 3rd weekends of November respectively).

Yep.

Without a SINGLE
exception, the average scores on phone weekends are significantly higher
than on the CW weekends, no exceptions.

Did you mean winning scores, Hans? Or did you actually add up all the
scores submitted each year and work out the average? "Average scores"
can mean a lot of different things.

The reason is that the exchange
is faster on phone than on CW.

For a sizable percentage of the participants, that's certainly a
factor. And I'm sure most of them don't repeat back the entire SS
exchange - unlike what I hear so often on Field Day.

There is also the factor that there may be more participants during
the 'phone weekend. Also fewer QRP entries on phone?

A really fun contest regardless of mode. Someday I'll do a sweep...

73 de Jim, N2EY
Old May 7th 04, 07:16 PM
Dan/W4NTI

"Alun" wrote in message
"Dan/W4NTI" w4nti@get rid of this mindspring.com wrote in
ink.net:

A good CW operator could out operate a phone operator with less
power, less equipment, and worse propagation.

Dan/W4NTI

A good operator (CW or any other kind) wouldn't say "(insert mode
here) operators are lids".

Again Alun you are not qualified to judge. Since you are only half a
ham. You have no experience to enable you able to judge anything about
CW. You need to just admit that before you have the whole USENET
laughing at your ignorance on the subject.

Dan/W4NTI

Dan, you are not only a lid, you lack even the rudiments of logical
reasoning. I was _not_ judging anything about CW. I don't even care to do
so. What I was saying, since you evidently fail to understand, is that
anyone who says that users of a particular mode are lids just because they
use or prefer that mode is not a considerate person, i.e. you aren't.

I never made the claim of being considerate. That is your choice of words.

There is a valid place for each mode that we use in the amateur service,
and if anyone wants to do all of their operating using one mode, whether

it
be CW, or slow-scan, or PSK, or SSB, they should be left in peace and not
maligned by the likes of you. IMO none of them should be labelled as 'half
a ham'. What should we count you as? One quarter of a ham? One eighth?

A real ham is the proper answer.

You know one that paid his dues, passed his tests in front of the FCC.
Demonstrated his abilty to not only receive....but to SEND CW in front of
the FCC examiners. And has 43 years of experience since then. You
know....a real ham.

Make of that what you must.

Dan/W4NTI

Old May 7th 04, 08:34 PM
Jack Twilley

Old May 8th 04, 12:27 AM
William

"Dan/W4NTI" w4nti@get rid of this mindspring.com wrote in message nk.net...

A real ham is the proper answer.

You know one that paid his dues, passed his tests in front of the FCC.
Demonstrated his abilty to not only receive....but to SEND CW in front of
the FCC examiners. And has 43 years of experience since then. You
know....a real ham.

Make of that what you must.

Dan/W4NTI

That would be an anachronism. It can't be done for real anymore, but
you're welcome to petition the SCA to start a chapter where you can
play at it.

One day QST will run that article in their April issue.

Old May 8th 04, 01:19 AM
Jack Twilley

"Anon" == nobody starwars writes:

Jack Huh. I'm so glad I'm not an old, bitter, frustrated person. I
Jack might run the risk of being a real ham.

Anon Age has nothing to do with Dan's personality problems. I've
Anon been licensed for 50 years, took all my exams except for the
Anon first one (Novice) in front of FCC examiners, but I've moved on
Anon since then.

Age is not merely a chronological concept, this is so true.

Anon Some people sit back and try to live in the past (military days,
Anon ham radio license -- whatever) while others continue to
Anon anticipate the future. Dan's "real ham" mantra is a plea for
Anon respect which arises out of his own insecurity.

You're thinking harder about it than I did.

Anon I've been there, done that, got the ARRL 35 wpm certificate, and
Anon then proceeded to persue other things. It is my belief that ham
Anon radio has become quite "uncool" to newbies in these days of the
Anon internet, personal computers, Wi-Fi, and the rest of the
Anon technology that attracts today's bright kids. I put ham radio
Anon on the back burner way back in 1980 when my interests also
Anon turned to computers and the Arpanet. I've built my own
Anon machines, written operating systems for them, and developed
Anon software in persuit of my technical interests. I think that the
Anon "real hams" of the 80's did very similar things and enlarged
Anon their own worlds beyond the narrow view that the SPST switch
Anon throwers (CW dudes) seem to espouse as "real" ham radio.

Amateur radio is no longer the cutting edge. I am very happy about
that, because most of the time I don't have to worry about poseur
ham-wannabe people. The vast majority of the amateurs with whom I
interact are grownup, mature, and interested in playing with and
learning about radio and other related technologies. I am very happy
about that, too.

Anon As the other "real hams" left the Dan types behind, they became
Anon insecure and increasingly strident. Ignore them. They not only
Anon don't matter any more, they are not "real hams" themselves.
Anon They are now merely old timers who couldn't keep up.

It is a shame that the wealth of experience and knowledge bottled up
inside is going to waste. Ah well. Such is life.

Jack.
(time marches on.)
- --
Jack Twilley
jmt at twilley dot org
Old May 8th 04, 04:32 AM
Steve Robeson K4CAP

Subject: Morse and Contests
From: (William)
Date: 5/7/2004 5:57 AM Central Standard Time
(Steve Robeson K4CAP) wrote in message

Steve, its obvious that you're nuts and I'm not.

To WHO...?!?!

YOU...?!?!

A documented liar? A "man" who won't stand behind his own word?

Am I supposed to be impressed by this?

Sheeeeeeesh. You really ARE an idiot.

Steve, K4YZ

Poor demented Steve.

I told you that the zero in my callsign stood for the tenth district,
not the zeroeth district.

I understand that for Amateur Radio applications the ZERO in the callsign
is for the tenth call district. Unlike you, I can think in the abstract.

I also understand there is only one numeral in your callsign. It IS a
ZERO.

So are you.

It really is THAT simple.

And so you call me a liar and an idiot, and insinuate that I'm not a
man.

You are a liar. You've made assertions about things you've allegedly done
in Amateur Radio that you subsequently refuse to substantiate them with ANY
form of proof.

You're an idiot because you keep exposing yourself to such ridicule even
though you've been caught doing it over and over.

I doubt you're much of a man because of your foolish regard for your own
reputation and reckless behaviour in a public forum

Get help.

For what? Making a fool out of you? That's what I HAVE you for,
PuppetBoy! Now...Tell us all about your hero Lennie...How proud you are to be
associated with him...How you worked "portable" from Somalia without proper
authorization to do so. Then you can ALSO provide us with SOME sort of proof
to substantiate YOUR claim that "unlicensed radio services play a major role in
disaster communications....

We'll wait right here while you pony up an excuse for all of that....And
THEN tell us who's "nuts"...

Steve, K4YZ

Old May 8th 04, 04:45 AM
Lumushahs

From: Jack Twilley

I'm so glad I'm not an old, bitter, frustrated person. I might
run the risk of being a real ham.

There are young hams, and old hams (and all ages in between). Not all hams are
old. I don't know any hams that are bitter.I don't think hams are frustrated
either. (They seem to be comfortable with who they are).

I don't know any "real" hams that are old, bitter, or frustrated. Okay. I know
some that are old. But, your'e saying all real hams are old.