Old October 29th 04, 01:42 AM
Mike Coslo

KØHB wrote:
"Mike Coslo" wrote in message

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...ia_us_election

WTF is all this political crapola suddenly doing on rrap. Next thing
you know we'll be arguing about whether the democraps or the
republicannots were responsible for the sinking of the Titanic, and
whether CW could have saved the WTC.

Just that I was a little shocked when I saw who was backing the guy.
Strange days, eh? Good to see people of opposing ideologies getting
along, isn't it?

Possibly even Len and Steve? (ducking for cover) 8^)

- Mike KB3EIA -

Old October 29th 04, 03:05 PM
William

Mike Coslo wrote in message ...
KØHB wrote:
"Mike Coslo" wrote in message

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...ia_us_election

WTF is all this political crapola suddenly doing on rrap. Next thing
you know we'll be arguing about whether the democraps or the
republicannots were responsible for the sinking of the Titanic, and
whether CW could have saved the WTC.

Just that I was a little shocked when I saw who was backing the guy.
Strange days, eh? Good to see people of opposing ideologies getting
along, isn't it?

Possibly even Len and Steve? (ducking for cover) 8^)

- Mike KB3EIA -

Who knows? With proper treatment, Steve just might be a likeable guy.
Old October 29th 04, 10:06 PM
Robert Casey

Mike Coslo wrote:

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...ia_us_election

4 more days!
Old October 30th 04, 04:28 AM
William

Subject: How ya gonna vote Comrade?
From: "KØHB"

Date: 10/28/2004 1:57 PM Central Standard Time

"Mike Coslo" wrote in message

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...re_eu/russia_u

s_election

WTF is all this political crapola suddenly doing on rrap. Next thing
you know we'll be arguing about whether the democraps or the
republicannots were responsible for the sinking of the Titanic, and
whether CW could have saved the WTC.

You mean we don't already...?!?!

Steve, K4YZ

How quickly you both forget.

It seems like only yesterday that Greenspan was calling to "put the
brakes on the economy!"

Then the Pentagon and WTC were hit.
Old October 30th 04, 05:21 PM
N2EY

In article , Mike Coslo
writes:

William wrote:
Mike Coslo wrote in message

William wrote:

(N2EY) wrote in message

In article ,

(Brian Kelly) writes:

Mike Coslo wrote in message

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...re_eu/russia_u

s_election

And that "left turn is who the "reformed commies" endorse for Prez!

Yep.

Talk
about off off topic! Ooop! Not allowed to say PCTA are off topic.
My bad. So sorry.

What the heck, Brian? If you post something, and someone disagrees with
it, is THAT what you mean by not being allowed to have a different opinion?

I think that's exactly what "William" and "Lenover21" mean, Mike. If you
express a different opinion, they think you're saying they cannot have their
own.

It's even worse, if you prove that their opinion isn't based on facts....

I kind of thought that was what we were here for.

Me too.

As for off topic, yourself and are the ones
complaining of messages being off topic.

Yep. Even though they go off topic even more.

C'mon, you are starting to sound like a "victim".

Precisely.

Sorry, didn't mean to give that impression. It was supposed to be
tongue-in-cheek, but my keyboard emoticons are lacking.

Dang-it, there's that victim trap again! ;^)

See?

As a conservative, I can tell you that you don't have to be a victim.
You are responsible for your actions, and don't have to be a victim.
Once you do that, your life will take on new meaning, with unlimited
possibilities opening up that were denied you by the liberal's "victim
trap"

You mean like folks who blame all the problems of the ARS on the code test?

Reminds me of the "parade of victims" that NPR features each day.

When? I listen to NPR frequently, and I've not heard any such "parade".

Why does George Bush continue to fund those idiots?

For the same reasons outfits like Halliburton are funded?

NPR gets less and less gvt funding every year. 65 percent private/35
percent public

Yep.

There is a downside to that though. When Newt ad his buds originally
started the pull the pursetrings on NPR, the idea was that they would
melt and go away like the wicked witch of the west after getting doused
by Dorothy.

Is that the Newt whose treatment of his former spouse wasn't exactly in line
with "family values"?

Or the Newt whose intercepted cell phone conversation wasn't exactly G rated?

They didn't - they thrived, adapting to the new situation.

Fascinating!

As they
receive less and less government funding, they have more and more
autonomy. At this point I would assume that they enjoy the money that
they still get from the gvt

And that is the downside - less control.

I don't see journalistic freedom as a downside. Perhaps some people would
prefer that all broadcasting be like Fox - a cheerleader for the administration
currently in power.

I actually get my news from NPR and Reuters now.

I've done NPR and PBS for years. Best broadcasting in the USA, bar none.

Despite NPR's middle
to left perspective, they actually report so much more than the other
organizations - Network news sucks, CNN is weird, and Fox News is great
if you are a Pub that only wants to hear news that agrees with your
world view.

I find the whole NPR/PBS viewpoint to be all over the map - left, right,
center, whatever. IOW, well rounded and balanced. But I can see where some
folks would be annoyed by hearing things that are not complimentary to the
current administration - whoever it is.

---

One thing I find interesting, though, is the upscale drift of the PBS DIY
shows. Seems to me that "This Old House" and "Hometime" used to be mostly about
regular middle-class folks fixing up their homes themselves. But in recent
seasons, it's become more and more about monster projects in exotic or upscale
locations, using top-of-the-line products. And most of the work is done by
contractors, not homeowners.

73 de Jim, N2EY

Old October 30th 04, 07:44 PM
Mike Coslo

N2EY wrote:

In article , Mike Coslo
writes:

William wrote:

Mike Coslo wrote in message

William wrote:

(N2EY) wrote in message

In article ,

(Brian Kelly) writes:

Mike Coslo wrote in message

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...re_eu/russia_u

s_election

And that "left turn is who the "reformed commies" endorse for Prez!

Yep.

Talk
about off off topic! Ooop! Not allowed to say PCTA are off topic.
My bad. So sorry.

What the heck, Brian? If you post something, and someone disagrees with
it, is THAT what you mean by not being allowed to have a different opinion?

I think that's exactly what "William" and "Lenover21" mean, Mike. If you
express a different opinion, they think you're saying they cannot have their
own.

Just no need to be so sensitive! I'm here for a "bloody good row", and
I want to hear opinions that differ with mine. Some, like Len, think I'm
trying to play the middle, and am not "controversial" enough. Taint so!
I'm here to civilly discuss issues, and an occasional fishing expedition
too!

It's even worse, if you prove that their opinion isn't based on facts....

So it seems......

[...]

There is a cruelty there that is damning, especially that his fellow
"family value" spouting, right thinking people didn't hop on that.

Or the Newt whose intercepted cell phone conversation wasn't exactly G rated?

hehheh

They didn't - they thrived, adapting to the new situation.

Fascinating!

As they
receive less and less government funding, they have more and more
autonomy. At this point I would assume that they enjoy the money that
they still get from the gvt

And that is the downside - less control.

I don't see journalistic freedom as a downside.

I guess I skipped around there a bit. I meant that to Newt and his
minions (hey - what IS the difference between a minion and a crony,
anyhoo?) the fact that they did not Kill public broadcasting, they lost
any ability to control it. As long as they controlled the purse strings,
they could threaten to cut off monies if public broadcasting didn't
start broadcasting "properly" ala Fox News. Instead, they made that
wrong assumption about public broadcasting's will to survive, and even
thrive. So instead of doing what they wanted to do, they inadvertently
did the right thing. Happens once in a while.

Perhaps some people would
prefer that all broadcasting be like Fox - a cheerleader for the administration
currently in power.

I actually get my news from NPR and Reuters now.

I've done NPR and PBS for years. Best broadcasting in the USA, bar none.

NO doubt.

[...]

I stopped watching the show after a person in Taos NM was redoing his
house. The host immediately asks him what the budget is. Upon getting
the answer - $150,000 - he made all kinds of clucking noises about how
hard it was going to be to redo a place for that little. This was at a
time when the typical new house in our area was going for that much. I
figured the show wasn't too relevant to me anymore.

- Mike KB3EIA -

Old October 30th 04, 10:54 PM
N2EY

In article , Mike Coslo
writes:

N2EY wrote:

In article , Mike Coslo
writes:

William wrote:

Mike Coslo wrote in message

William wrote:

(N2EY) wrote in message

In article ,

(Brian Kelly) writes:

Mike Coslo wrote in message
http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor.../ap_on_re_eu/r

ussia_u
s_election

And that "left turn is who the "reformed commies" endorse for Prez!

Yep.

Talk
about off off topic! Ooop! Not allowed to say PCTA are off topic.
My bad. So sorry.

What the heck, Brian? If you post something, and someone disagrees with
it, is THAT what you mean by not being allowed to have a different
opinion?

I think that's exactly what "William" and "Lenover21" mean, Mike. If you
express a different opinion, they think you're saying they cannot have
their own.

Just no need to be so sensitive!

On whose part?

I'm here for a "bloody good row", and
I want to hear opinions that differ with mine.

Me too!

Some, like Len, think I'm
trying to play the middle, and am not "controversial" enough. Taint so!
I'm here to civilly discuss issues, and an occasional fishing expedition
too!

I miss K2UNK. He and I differ on practically every amateur radio policy issue
ever discussed here, yet there is never any animosity or personal attack.

It's even worse, if you prove that their opinion isn't based on facts....

So it seems......

Kill the messenger?

[...]

There are true victims, who have actually been wronged, and there are folks who
blame everything bad on others.

Why does George Bush continue to fund those idiots?

See? "It's all the liberals' fault!"

For the same reasons outfits like Halliburton are funded?

NPR gets less and less gvt funding every year. 65 percent private/35
percent public

Yep.

There is a downside to that though. When Newt ad his buds originally
started the pull the pursetrings on NPR, the idea was that they would
melt and go away like the wicked witch of the west after getting doused
by Dorothy.

Is that the Newt whose treatment of his former spouse wasn't exactly in
line with "family values"?

There is a cruelty there that is damning, especially that his fellow
"family value" spouting, right thinking people didn't hop on that.

Did you *really* expect fellow Pubs and conservatives to criticize Mr. Speaker?

(Look up how many times Rush Limbaugh has been married...)

Or the Newt whose intercepted cell phone conversation wasn't exactly G
rated?

hehheh

Lots of examples like that.

They didn't - they thrived, adapting to the new situation.

Fascinating!

As they
receive less and less government funding, they have more and more
autonomy. At this point I would assume that they enjoy the money that
they still get from the gvt

And that is the downside - less control.

I don't see journalistic freedom as a downside.

I guess I skipped around there a bit. I meant that to Newt and his
minions (hey - what IS the difference between a minion and a crony,
anyhoo?)

Crony is a fellow-traveler, minion is an underling.

the fact that they did not Kill public broadcasting, they lost
any ability to control it.

And that's good!

As long as they controlled the purse strings,
they could threaten to cut off monies if public broadcasting didn't
start broadcasting "properly" ala Fox News. Instead, they made that
wrong assumption about public broadcasting's will to survive, and even
thrive.

They also completely misunderstood what we the people really want.

So instead of doing what they wanted to do, they inadvertently
did the right thing. Happens once in a while.

Law of Unintended/Unforeseen Consequences

Perhaps some people would
prefer that all broadcasting be like Fox - a cheerleader for the
administration currently in power.

(just like good ol' Radio Moscow used to be)

[...]

Real estate is one of those things that varies all over the place. Look at
realtor.com and see how much the same house costs in different parts of the
country, or even in different parts of the same *county*. It's all in what
you're used to. In a house worth, say, $500,000, a $150,000 re-do isn't such a
big deal if it includes really serious upgrading. Heck, I know folks doing
$100,000 improvements to $300,000 houses - because the cost of the house they
want, a couple of blocks over, is well over $450,000. And we're not talking
mansions or fancy places, either.

Eventually that bubble will burst.

73 de Jim, N2EY
Old October 31st 04, 01:55 AM
Mike Coslo

N2EY wrote:
In article , Mike Coslo

some snippage for clarity

Just no need to be so sensitive!

On whose part?

On theirs. When there is a disagreement, the reaction is all out of
proportion.

I'm here for a "bloody good row", and
I want to hear opinions that differ with mine.

Me too!

Some, like Len, think I'm
trying to play the middle, and am not "controversial" enough. Taint so!
I'm here to civilly discuss issues, and an occasional fishing expedition
too!

I miss K2UNK. He and I differ on practically every amateur radio policy issue
ever discussed here, yet there is never any animosity or personal attack.

It's even worse, if you prove that their opinion isn't based on facts....

So it seems......

Kill the messenger?

I had a co-worker that I would get into discussions with occasionally.
I knew I had won the argument when he would freak out on me. We're
talking yelling, name calling, etc. He would always come back later and
apologize, and since he was a decent sort, that was okay by me. Here, no
apology is forthcoming, perhaps.

[...]

You mean like the folks that never paid attention to Harry Truman's "The
buck stops here"?

Why does George Bush continue to fund those idiots?

See? "It's all the liberals' fault!"

1. Liberals believe in spending lots of money regardless of tax monies
received.

1a. Conservatives believe in a balanced budget, with money spent no
less than equaling input from taxes.

2. Liberals believe in using government to further their social agendas.

2a. Conservatives believe that the government that governs least governs
best. This means getting government off peoples backs.

3. Liberals believe in the government taking in tax dollars, and
redistributing them as welfare.

3a. Conservatives believe in "If you can't make it on your own, you
aren't going to make it/

So lessee, we gots ourselves record deficits (coming after a surplus)
and tax reductions - Hey, there's a recipe for bankruptcy!

We gots faith based initiatives, and a drive for vouchers, we gots a
castrated version of stem cell research - Hey ya know the rest of the
world is moving ahead - just one more way we are falling behind. Now if
we can just get that damnable evolution out of the schools...

And as we have scaled back on personal welfare, corporate welfare is
just boomin' baby!

So who is the liberals, and who is the conservatives?

For the same reasons outfits like Halliburton are funded?

NPR gets less and less gvt funding every year. 65 percent private/35
percent public

Yep.

There is a downside to that though. When Newt ad his buds originally
started the pull the pursetrings on NPR, the idea was that they would
melt and go away like the wicked witch of the west after getting doused
by Dorothy.

Is that the Newt whose treatment of his former spouse wasn't exactly in
line with "family values"?

There is a cruelty there that is damning, especially that his fellow
"family value" spouting, right thinking people didn't hop on that.

Did you *really* expect fellow Pubs and conservatives to criticize Mr. Speaker?

(Look up how many times Rush Limbaugh has been married...)

What is amazing is that there is more than one woman in the world that
would mate with him.

[...]

Yup!

As long as they controlled the purse strings,
they could threaten to cut off monies if public broadcasting didn't
start broadcasting "properly" ala Fox News. Instead, they made that
wrong assumption about public broadcasting's will to survive, and even
thrive.

They also completely misunderstood what we the people really want.

It's pretty common. It is like the networks bringing out new "reality
shows" because they are what get people watching - while ignoring the
fact that network viewership continues to tumble. It's why the music
industry bemoans declining sales, and blame it on MP3 file sharing,
completely ignoring that their present product is way overpriced - oh,
and by the way, the fact that "popular" music SUCKS these days might
have something to do with it, eh?

So instead of doing what they wanted to do, they inadvertently
did the right thing. Happens once in a while.

Law of Unintended/Unforeseen Consequences

Perhaps some people would
prefer that all broadcasting be like Fox - a cheerleader for the
administration currently in power.

(just like good ol' Radio Moscow used to be)

ZZZZZZZiiinnngggg! You done brought the thread home, Jim!

[...]

Yup, like when Mr. and Mrs. Smartbuy decide to sell their 20,000 sq. ft
McMansion and move into a apartment or condo after they retire, and find
no market for it? They will be trying to sell a huge house that costs a
fortune to heat and keep up, and is poorly constructed to boot.

WoW! I've been on a rant here!

- Mike KB3EIA -

Old October 31st 04, 12:41 PM
N2EY

In article , Mike Coslo
writes:

N2EY wrote:
In article , Mike Coslo

some snippage for clarity

Just no need to be so sensitive!

On whose part?

On theirs. When there is a disagreement, the reaction is all out of
proportion.

Yes, I've noticed that. Nothing new, really - look up how Len behaved in "the
sphincter post". That one was a classic!

Basically, a fellow who had been a USCG radio operator described what it was
like doing so at the station in Hawaii. Using Morse code on 500 kHz and HF for
maritime communications. Not in the 1930s, either. Post wasn't even addressed
to Len IIRC. Len didn't exactly show respect for the skill and dedication
required to do that job.

I'm here for a "bloody good row", and
I want to hear opinions that differ with mine.

Me too!

Some, like Len, think I'm
trying to play the middle, and am not "controversial" enough. Taint so!
I'm here to civilly discuss issues, and an occasional fishing expedition
too!

You're pro-code-test, Mike, and therefore a target for anyhting Len can think
up.

I miss K2UNK. He and I differ on practically every amateur radio policy
issue
ever discussed here, yet there is never any animosity or personal attack.

It's even worse, if you prove that their opinion isn't based on facts....

So it seems......

Kill the messenger?

I had a co-worker that I would get into discussions with occasionally.
I knew I had won the argument when he would freak out on me. We're
talking yelling, name calling, etc. He would always come back later and
apologize, and since he was a decent sort, that was okay by me. Here, no
apology is forthcoming, perhaps.

Haven't seen one in more than seven years. In fact it works the other way: If
you get to the point where you've actually proven a mistake on the part of the
other party, the resentment and abuse get worse. This was clearly demonstrated
when Len stated that he'd *never* used a certain screen name on rrap - and then
I googled up a few posts where he had.

I kind of thought that was what we were here for.

Me too.

As for off topic, yourself and are the ones
complaining of messages being off topic.

Yep. Even though they go off topic even more.

What's interesting is that you'll see OT assertions about how somebody was
doing military radio while you were still in diapers, but no explanation about
how that connects to amateur radio policy today.

[...]

Yep. When asked if he'd made any mistakes in his time in the White House, our
president replied that he'd made some mistakes in appointing certain people.
That was all. Talk about buck-passing!

Why does George Bush continue to fund those idiots?

See? "It's all the liberals' fault!"

1. Liberals believe in spending lots of money regardless of tax monies
received.

That's a classic complaint of their fiscal policies.

1a. Conservatives believe in a balanced budget, with money spent no
less than equaling input from taxes.

Supposedly

2. Liberals believe in using government to further their social agendas.

Agendas which focus on special interest groups, supposedly

2a. Conservatives believe that the government that governs least governs
best. This means getting government off peoples backs.

Minimal regulation

3. Liberals believe in the government taking in tax dollars, and
redistributing them as welfare.

Supposedly so that those who receive the welfare will advance to the point
where they don't need it any more.

3a. Conservatives believe in "If you can't make it on your own, you
aren't going to make it/

AKA "free market" or "Darwinism".

So lessee, we gots ourselves record deficits (coming after a surplus)
and tax reductions - Hey, there's a recipe for bankruptcy!

In less than four years we went from surplus to incredible deficit. Last time
we did that to such an amazing degree was when Ronald Reagan was president...

We gots faith based initiatives, and a drive for vouchers, we gots a
castrated version of stem cell research - Hey ya know the rest of the
world is moving ahead - just one more way we are falling behind. Now if
we can just get that damnable evolution out of the schools...

And keep those gays from getting hitched! Yep, that'll solve all our
problems...

Back in the 1970s, the USA imported about a third of the oil used here. Now we
import about two-thirds. Wrong direction.

And as we have scaled back on personal welfare, corporate welfare is
just boomin' baby!

Only for certain organizations.

So who is the liberals, and who is the conservatives?

Bingo! You oughta write that up, Mike. oh wait, you just did

[...]

I'm amazed that there is one...!

[...]

Inevitable result of more channels and more competing technologies.

The interesting part of "reality" shows (to me) is that they're all based on
fantasies!

My favorite ones are the PBS ones where they put modern day people into setups
from another time ("The 1900 House", "Frontier House", etc.) and see how they
fare. What's neat is that they become subtle but powerful commercials for the
modern life.

It's why the music
industry bemoans declining sales, and blame it on MP3 file sharing,
completely ignoring that their present product is way overpriced - oh,
and by the way, the fact that "popular" music SUCKS these days might
have something to do with it, eh?

Part of that is the fact that a CD costs so much yet may have only a few songs
you want on it.

There's also so many competing *legal* venues out there like satellite radio,
streaming audio, the 99 cent iPod downloads, etc.

So instead of doing what they wanted to do, they inadvertently
did the right thing. Happens once in a while.

Law of Unintended/Unforeseen Consequences

Perhaps some people would
prefer that all broadcasting be like Fox - a cheerleader for the
administration currently in power.

(just like good ol' Radio Moscow used to be)

ZZZZZZZiiinnngggg! You done brought the thread home, Jim!

Of course! See how the whole thing is actually on-topic?

[...]

This week's "Hometime" just exploded that theory completely, at least for that
show. The project is a kitchen redo. Young family (Dad, Mom, 9 month old baby)
in a small frame house with limited budget. Everybody pitches in, cabinets and
appliances are from the home center some contracting and lots of homeowner
work, etc. Home videos integrated into the show. Real-life headaches and
stresses dealt with.

Kinda like ham radio - lots of hams don't have ideal or even near ideal setups,
but they manage to get on the air nonetheless.

[...]

Yep. And it gets worse: The McMansion is on a huge lot that has a pile of deed
restrictions prohibiting things like subdividing the property, converting the
house for multifamily use, etc.

Meanwhile the apartment/condos that they want to go into keep climbing in price
because so many other people in the same situation are buying them.

WoW! I've been on a rant here!

Not at all!

73 de Jim, N2EY
Old October 31st 04, 01:25 PM
William

PAMNO (N2EY) wrote in message ...
In article , Mike Coslo
writes:

William wrote:
Mike Coslo wrote in message

William wrote:

(N2EY) wrote in message

In article ,

(Brian Kelly) writes:

Mike Coslo wrote in message

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...re_eu/russia_u

s_election

And that "left turn is who the "reformed commies" endorse for Prez!

Yep.

Social Democrats.

Talk
about off off topic! Ooop! Not allowed to say PCTA are off topic.
My bad. So sorry.

What the heck, Brian? If you post something, and someone disagrees with
it, is THAT what you mean by not being allowed to have a different opinion?

I think that's exactly what "William" and "Lenover21" mean, Mike. If you
express a different opinion, they think you're saying they cannot have their
own.

When you tell someone that their opinions are invalid based upon
whether they hold an amateur radio license, then that is exactly what
you are doing. Have you ever done that Jim?

It's even worse, if you prove that their opinion isn't based on facts....

I especially liked your factoid where "a morse code exam acts as a
barrier to morse code use." That was a gem. And I didn't even argue
with it because it's true enough. But you argued with it.

Then there is my all time favorite, uttered by Steve, "Sorry Hans,
MARS IS Amateur Radio!" Steve's been backpedalling ever since.

I kind of thought that was what we were here for.

Me too.

Me too.

As for off topic, yourself and are the ones
complaining of messages being off topic.

Yep. Even though they go off topic even more.

Please allow me to set the record straight. You PCTA are constantly
on Len for bringing up radio related experiences, but since they were
not precisely amateur experiences, you have told him that he is off
topic. So when you stray to space exploration, B&W movies, bad math,
and lust for movie stars, he beats you over the head with your very
own "Off Topic" drum.

And you hate it.

C'mon, you are starting to sound like a "victim".

Precisely.

Imprecisely.

Sorry, didn't mean to give that impression. It was supposed to be
tongue-in-cheek, but my keyboard emoticons are lacking.

Dang-it, there's that victim trap again! ;^)

See?

Are you emoticon blind?

As a conservative, I can tell you that you don't have to be a victim.
You are responsible for your actions, and don't have to be a victim.
Once you do that, your life will take on new meaning, with unlimited
possibilities opening up that were denied you by the liberal's "victim
trap"

You mean like folks who blame all the problems of the ARS on the code test?

Who are those people? Name them.

I blame the problems of the ARS on the following, in order of
importance:

Amateurs, ARRL, FCC, Morse Code Exam.

Reminds me of the "parade of victims" that NPR features each day.

When?

Daily.

I listen to NPR frequently, and I've not heard any such "parade".

Not a parade in the usual sense. But day after day NPR features
someone or some group with problems that only the government will be
able to solve.

I never realized that we had so many problems until I started
listening to NPR. Then I realized that most of those people with
problems would not have problems if they had stayed in school, didn't
have sex out of wedlock, tried to raise children as a single, one
earning or no earning parent, ...

Why does George Bush continue to fund those idiots?

For the same reasons outfits like Halliburton are funded?

Please name the other outfit(s) that can compete with Halliburton.

Please explain why Clinton gave Halliburton a No-Bid contract when
Clinton attacked Bosnia?

NPR gets less and less gvt funding every year. 65 percent private/35
percent public

Yep.

There is a downside to that though. When Newt ad his buds originally
started the pull the pursetrings on NPR, the idea was that they would
melt and go away like the wicked witch of the west after getting doused
by Dorothy.

Is that the Newt whose treatment of his former spouse wasn't exactly in line
with "family values"?

I believe so.

Or the Newt whose intercepted cell phone conversation wasn't exactly G rated?

Could have been. Whatever happened to that couple that intercepted
the cell phone call?

They didn't - they thrived, adapting to the new situation.

Fascinating!

They keep having fund raisers. Fine. That leaves them less time to
spread their socialist ideology.

As they
receive less and less government funding, they have more and more
autonomy. At this point I would assume that they enjoy the money that
they still get from the gvt

And that is the downside - less control.

I don't see journalistic freedom as a downside. Perhaps some people would
prefer that all broadcasting be like Fox - a cheerleader for the administration
currently in power.

That is such an interesting statement.

Fox News is a relatively new news outlet in the grand scheme of
things. And they have set themselves apart; I believe that you called
it "journalistic freedom." Gosh, how awful and how successful!

Remember though, that many of the traditional news outlets have an
agenda which favors Democrats. Recall that CBS initially got the
Prisoner Abuse photos, and wouldn't run it themselves. They instead
gave the photos to Al Jazeer to run first then they ran it. Then
you've got the Dan Rather doctored documents. Why are these guys
trying so hard to damage the president and America?

Finally, I'd like to take issue with your use of the term
"broadcasting." I do not have cable or satellite television. I do
not see Fox News. Nor do I see CNN. So broadcasting it is not.

I do have ABC, CBS, NBC, and PBS broadcasts. Two are decidedly
socialist and/or anti-American.

I actually get my news from NPR and Reuters now.

I've done NPR and PBS for years. Best broadcasting in the USA, bar none.

NPR is details oriented, and I like that. I get to learn a lot about
the socialist viewpoint.

Despite NPR's middle
to left perspective, they actually report so much more than the other
organizations - Network news sucks, CNN is weird, and Fox News is great
if you are a Pub that only wants to hear news that agrees with your
world view.

I find the whole NPR/PBS viewpoint to be all over the map - left, right,
center, whatever.

I don't.

IOW, well rounded and balanced. But I can see where some
folks would be annoyed by hearing things that are not complimentary to the
current administration - whoever it is.

I tire of the constant din of government solutions to everyone's
problems.

---

One thing I find interesting, though, is the upscale drift of the PBS DIY
shows. Seems to me that "This Old House" and "Hometime" used to be mostly about
regular middle-class folks fixing up their homes themselves. But in recent
seasons, it's become more and more about monster projects in exotic or upscale
locations, using top-of-the-line products. And most of the work is done by
contractors, not homeowners.

73 de Jim, N2EY

"Worst Economy in Fifty Years!"

Hi!

ONLY A SHORT TIME UNTIL HAMS CAN VOTE FOR KERRY!! Mr Ham Radio Policy 2 October 24th 04 03:56 AM
Vote for WX6RST Hans K0HB General 16 October 10th 03 11:03 PM
Vote for WX6RST Hans K0HB Policy 11 October 10th 03 11:03 PM
Vote for WX6RST Hans K0HB General 0 October 7th 03 12:21 AM