Old December 13th 04, 12:16 PM
N2EY

In article , "JAMES HAMPTON"
writes:

they had recently reduced the code speed when I was in RMA school in
1967. I believe it had been 18 words per minute and they had reduced it to
16.

It's my understanding that back in 1957-58, the standard for Radioman "A"
school was 24 wpm. 5 letter coded groups on a Navy mill. Test lasted one hour
with no more than 3 errors permitted.

Now *that's* proficiency!

73 de Jim, N2EY
Old December 13th 04, 01:51 PM
William

I think RV had flat feet or sumptin. Unfit. Not really his fault.

Old December 13th 04, 02:08 PM
William

"But, the Archaic Radiotelegraphy Society (ARS) isn't really
interested in communications per se, is it? ARS is all about
HOW the communications is done, not the comms' content. :-)

Most Best Holiday Greetings,

"

All in the preparation for "THE BIG ONE." That one message where they
save the Titanic, the Hindenberg, Johnstown, etc.

Unfortunately, when it's time to send "THE BIG ONE" they have been so
focused on mode that no one will be left to hear them.

Old December 13th 04, 04:33 PM
Steve Robeson K4YZ

Subject: Awesome trainer!
From: (Avery Fineman)
Date: 12/12/2004 7:33 PM Central Standard Time
In article , Dave Heil
writes:

Len Over 21 wrote:

In article ,

(N2EY) writes:

What part of the US Navy did he serve in?

What part of the US military did YOU serve in?

ex-RA16408336

What your amateur radio callsign, Len?

Ach, ja, der Gruppenfuhrer uf das Raddio Kops demands "to see
papers!"

Sure.

YOU "demand" to see OUR "qualifications" in the form of licenses,
experiences and certifications that have nothing to do with Amateur Radio, yet
you bombard us with trivial, unrelated crap from Anderson-past as if if means
something.

IE: RA16408336. Who cares? Like many of us here, you did a tour in the
Armed Forces. You served as a radio mechanic and nothing else. It has nothing
to do with Amatuer Radio, then or now.

Don't let your "diplomatic training" interfere with your attempted
overthrow of the First Amendment that prohibits us U.S. citizens
from discussing FEDERAL LAW AND REGULATION.

The First Ammendment does not apply to you, Lennie.

It applies to the government.

You are still stuck on the fantasy that you have this little
fraternal order where You and Your Kind are the "only" ones
who can "make rules." Therefore, in your fantasyland vision,
all who are not licensed cannot discuss a damn thing about
amateur radio. Tsk. Secretary Powell might have frowned on
your fantasy world dicta. Maybe Condie Rice will buy it?

You are not a licensed Amateur Radio operator.

You have no experience in Amateur Radio.

Oh, and on the thread, I didn't need any amateur radio license
to get into the Signal Corps, then get assigned to a station
with three dozen high-power HF transmitters, then operate them
and maintain them. Operation and maintenance was NOT for
amateurs. That was only the beginning for me...something that
happened while you were way too young to be responsible for
much of anything.

It was a beginning and end.

I suppose you are going to go into the "ham neophyte" act again,
reprising that old, trite, very tired "I will be a 'beginner' in radio if
I ever get a ham license!" Gee-suss, herr Gruppenfuhrer, what's
to know that can't be picked up in a day...and what happens if
'proceedure' isn't followed _exactly_? Will I be "fired" for not using
"correct" language, format, protocol or all that other bull****?

No, no, no, Lennie...You are NOT a "ham neophyte".

In order to BE a "ham neophyte" you'd need to BE an Amateur licensee.

You are not.

Oooooooooo...I can see the fires of a potential Flame War growing
on your side of the screen! Outrage at some "outsider" sassing
der great Gruppenfuhrer! How dare they!

All you CAN be is a sassy mouth, Lennie.

Focus. Try to stay within a light year of the general thread. Drop
the assinine "olde-tymer brotherhood of morsemen" schtick and
outrage at "nobody talks to us hams like that!" It got tired long ago.

A Most Pleasant Seasoned Greeting...guten abend.

Do us all a favor, Lennie...Have a stroke. Choke on your egg nog.

Leonard H. Anderson was, is, and shall ever continue to be a loser,
unworthy of trust or belief. And he has only himself to thank for being in
that position.

Steve, K4YZ

Old December 13th 04, 05:14 PM
JAMES HAMPTON

"Len Over 21" wrote in message
In article , "JAMES HAMPTON"
writes:

Heck, anyone who has used one of those old green machines knows how they
were. Folks should be very grateful for the modern pc. The electronics

are
far more rugged than the old teletypes. I've often stared at the 100

word
per minute mechanical beasties clanking away and wondered how they could

do
that without flying apart. Of course, they did break down now and then

"Green?" All the ones I've ever worked with were black (old Model
15 to 19) or different shades of Teletype Corporation gray (Model
28 or 33)... :-)

Teletype Corporation ought to get a standing ovation for some
excellent mechanical design in those old teleprinters. They were
robust performers that went on for days at a time needing only to
be fed paper and (once in a while) a new ribbon.

The old 60 WPM units were tried out at 75 WPM on a few Army
circuits in 1955. MTBF went to hell at that speed and those circuits
had very high maintenance turn-over. Restored to 60 WPM speeds,
they continued on as if nothing had happened. Used the old type
cage structure of the manual/electric typewriters.

The "stunt box" (literally a box of type) used on the newer 100
WPM models did awesome things, true, fun to watch while
waiting for a program's answer back. Never had one "lock up" in
some strange mode, though, that including the old all-caps 60
WPM machines with Caps/Figs keys.

By 1980 the matrix printer was IN for anyone needing text
throughput, honking out 300 WPM with just a polite buzz instead
of the clatter-bang of the mechanical teleprinters. My little Epson
MX-80 (purchased in 1980) is still operational but it can't be given
away in this age of inkjet printers that tosses out an entire page
of text in 5 seconds (draft mode, black and white). The only sound
from the "old" HP 722 inkjet printer is the paper-advance stepping
motor; inkjets themselves being inaudible.

But, the Archaic Radiotelegraphy Society (ARS) isn't really
interested in communications per se, is it? ARS is all about
HOW the communications is done, not the comms' content. :-)

Most Best Holiday Greetings,

Hello, Len

To some amateurs the how *is* important. Witness PSK, moonbounce, and other
stuff. Anyone can grab a microphone and talk. Somehow, a lot of folks get
caught up in the code vs no-code argument that is getting *really* old.
Seems there used to be an am vs ssb argument back in the 60s as well.

However, that *how* it is done is important if we wish to further ourselves.

Have a merry Christmas, Len, and try to come up with a new argument next
year, hear?

Best regards from Rochester, NY
Jim AA2QA

Old December 13th 04, 05:17 PM
JAMES HAMPTON

"N2EY" wrote in message
In article , "JAMES HAMPTON"
writes:

"N2EY" wrote in message
In article , "Casey"

writes:

how the tales of "I was a one-of-a-kind" super hero

As I read Hans' and Jim's and others' stories of their USN, USCG and

Merchant
Marine experiences, one thing that is clear to me is that they do *not*

claim
to be "one-of-a-kind" at all. Rather, they are simply relating their
experiences as part of a community. That's why the statue of a single

sailor in
Washington DC can express so much.

Hello, Jim

Heck, anyone who has used one of those old green machines knows how they
were.

Yep. We had some of them at the University amateur station.

Folks should be very grateful for the modern pc. The electronics are
far more rugged than the old teletypes. I've often stared at the 100

word
per minute mechanical beasties clanking away and wondered how they could

do
that without flying apart. Of course, they did break down now and then

They made one heck of a clatter at 60 wpm! And even in our limited use, in

the
comfy conditions of Room 214, they required some care.

Still, a PC won't give you that smell of hot oil nor the satisfying din at

the
end of the hall. While I never learned the entire Baudot code, I was able

recognize "RY" and "CQ" in FSK.

73 es keep the stories coming

Jim, N2EY

Hello, Jim

Clatter? You can't imagine. Locked in a room perhaps the size of a jail
cell with 10 to 15 teletypes going. Ship - shore, broadcast .... aboard a
ship - which means metal bulkheads, metal deck, metal overhead ... I've
sandblasted quite a bit and the teletypes would have given sandblasting
quite a run

My problem was that they found out I could touch type. Manual typewriters
at 65 plus words per minute. I hit bursts over 90 words per minute on a 100
word per minute teletype! My fate was sealed LOL

Old December 13th 04, 05:19 PM
JAMES HAMPTON

"Hans" wrote in message

"N2EY" wrote in message
In article , "JAMES HAMPTON"
writes:

they had recently reduced the code speed when I was in RMA school in
1967. I believe it had been 18 words per minute and they had reduced it
16.

It's my understanding that back in 1957-58, the standard for Radioman

"A"
school was 24 wpm. 5 letter coded groups on a Navy mill. Test lasted

one
hour
with no more than 3 errors permitted.

Now *that's* proficiency!

73 de Jim, N2EY

Nawww, I heard down at the Legion Hall that the final exam for
Radioman "A" was they had to come in hung over, drink 12 cups of
black coffee, & smoke three cigarrettes, all while copying one 65 wpm
net and simultaneously another 75 wpm net. Oh, they had to use
15 Navy mills to do this. At least that is the last story I heard down

at
the Legion Hall.

73,

Hans
Retired Fleet Admiral

Made to be an obvious forge ...

ZBM-2

With all kind regards,
Jim AA2QA

Old December 13th 04, 05:50 PM
N2EY

In article , "JAMES HAMPTON"
writes:

"N2EY" wrote in message
In article , "JAMES HAMPTON"
writes:

"N2EY" wrote in message
In article , "Casey"
writes:

[...]

You'd be surprised!

Locked in a room perhaps the size of a jail
cell with 10 to 15 teletypes going. Ship - shore, broadcast .... aboard a
ship - which means metal bulkheads, metal deck, metal overhead ... I've
sandblasted quite a bit and the teletypes would have given sandblasting
quite a run

Yup. I can just imagine the smell from the hot oil, too.

My problem was that they found out I could touch type. Manual typewriters
at 65 plus words per minute. I hit bursts over 90 words per minute on a 100
word per minute teletype! My fate was sealed LOL

dayum!

Great stuff.

73 de Jim, N2EY
Old December 13th 04, 06:44 PM
Len Over 21

In article .com, "William"
writes:

"But, the Archaic Radiotelegraphy Society (ARS) isn't really
interested in communications per se, is it? ARS is all about
HOW the communications is done, not the comms' content. :-)

Most Best Holiday Greetings,

"

All in the preparation for "THE BIG ONE." That one message where they
save the Titanic, the Hindenberg, Johnstown, etc.

Unfortunately, when it's time to send "THE BIG ONE" they have been so
focused on mode that no one will be left to hear them.

Irrelevant. The MEDIUM is the massage, therefore anyone who
wants operating privileges on the amateur bands below 30 MHz
MUST take that important code test!

Morsemen WILL manufacture stories of beeping derring-do whether
the morse test is eliminated or kept ad infinitum. That's a given.

When space aliens invade the earth in their huge frying saucers,
morsemen will Save The World using the unbreakable morse code.

Morsemen are the gods of radio. Long may they wave.