Old December 12th 04, 08:51 PM
JAMES HAMPTON

"Casey" wrote in message

Oh how the tales of "I was a one-of-a-kind" super hero grow more
exotic and more exaggerated as the years pass and the number of
brown bottles consumed down at the Legion Hall grows. Do join Hans
down at the Legion Hall. Friday nite Happy Hour awards are given for
who can spin most incredible sea story.
ROTFLMAO! You old farts need to get a life!

Oh, but I *do* have a life. I never joined any of the groups such as you
mention. I'm too busy moderating several groups (electronics, computers,
medical) and repairing computers. I always get a chuckle out of the folks
who think I'm over the hill. My neighbor is a good example. I cleaned her
computer up once, partitioned the hard drive, set the programs back up,
added a firewall and anti-virus. A while later, she had another problem
and took it to a "tech".

She called me a couple of months later. She's on cable (roadrunner).
Broadband. Seems the tech took out the partition and did *not* re-install
the firewall nor antivirus. Not particularly smart. That mess took me a
couple of trips over and required application of three different programs
(plus a manual edit of the registry).

She told me over a month that she had "improved" her pc. Guess what? A
swiped copy of WinXP. LOL. I told her what to expect. I didn't mention
that I was going to be too busy to help her this time, but I think she got
the message. I haven't heard from her and I'm certain that XP has locked up
by now.

ROTFLMAO!!

Meanwhile, I've responded to a couple of posts and now going to check the
other groups, clean the hard drive, defrag, and call it a day (for a couple
of hours).

Best regards from Rochester, NY
Jim AA2QA

Old December 12th 04, 09:24 PM
Len Over 21

In article , "JAMES HAMPTON"
writes:

Heck, anyone who has used one of those old green machines knows how they
were. Folks should be very grateful for the modern pc. The electronics are
far more rugged than the old teletypes. I've often stared at the 100 word
per minute mechanical beasties clanking away and wondered how they could do
that without flying apart. Of course, they did break down now and then ...

"Green?" All the ones I've ever worked with were black (old Model
15 to 19) or different shades of Teletype Corporation gray (Model
28 or 33)... :-)

Teletype Corporation ought to get a standing ovation for some
excellent mechanical design in those old teleprinters. They were
robust performers that went on for days at a time needing only to
be fed paper and (once in a while) a new ribbon.

The old 60 WPM units were tried out at 75 WPM on a few Army
circuits in 1955. MTBF went to hell at that speed and those circuits
had very high maintenance turn-over. Restored to 60 WPM speeds,
they continued on as if nothing had happened. Used the old type
cage structure of the manual/electric typewriters.

The "stunt box" (literally a box of type) used on the newer 100
WPM models did awesome things, true, fun to watch while
waiting for a program's answer back. Never had one "lock up" in
some strange mode, though, that including the old all-caps 60
WPM machines with Caps/Figs keys.

By 1980 the matrix printer was IN for anyone needing text
throughput, honking out 300 WPM with just a polite buzz instead
of the clatter-bang of the mechanical teleprinters. My little Epson
MX-80 (purchased in 1980) is still operational but it can't be given
away in this age of inkjet printers that tosses out an entire page
of text in 5 seconds (draft mode, black and white). The only sound
from the "old" HP 722 inkjet printer is the paper-advance stepping
motor; inkjets themselves being inaudible.

But, the Archaic Radiotelegraphy Society (ARS) isn't really
interested in communications per se, is it? ARS is all about
HOW the communications is done, not the comms' content. :-)

Most Best Holiday Greetings,

Old December 12th 04, 09:33 PM
Len Over 21

In article , "SPAM Patrol"
writes:

Oh oh, now you are really gonna **** off Hans.

NO, I won't "**** him off."

The difference being that he and I were IN the military serving
our country, the USA. WE can talk back and forth and be
proud of what WE did. You can't.

He wont be in
shape to spin sea yarns down at the legion hall for a week.
ROTFLMAO!

Ha. Ha. Ha. And YOUR "military service" must consist of
getting a complimentary Legion membership just to hang out
at the Legion Hall's bar and make fun of members who DID
serve? Must be, wanna-be.

Go get a REAL life. And an alfterlife real soon.

ex-RA16408336, 1952-1960
Old December 12th 04, 10:47 PM
N2EY

In article , "JAMES HAMPTON"
writes:

"N2EY" wrote in message
In article , "Casey"

writes:

how the tales of "I was a one-of-a-kind" super hero

As I read Hans' and Jim's and others' stories of their USN, USCG and

Merchant
Marine experiences, one thing that is clear to me is that they do *not*

claim
to be "one-of-a-kind" at all. Rather, they are simply relating their
experiences as part of a community. That's why the statue of a single

sailor in
Washington DC can express so much.

Hello, Jim

Heck, anyone who has used one of those old green machines knows how they
were.

Yep. We had some of them at the University amateur station.

Folks should be very grateful for the modern pc. The electronics are
far more rugged than the old teletypes. I've often stared at the 100 word
per minute mechanical beasties clanking away and wondered how they could do
that without flying apart. Of course, they did break down now and then ...

They made one heck of a clatter at 60 wpm! And even in our limited use, in the
comfy conditions of Room 214, they required some care.

Still, a PC won't give you that smell of hot oil nor the satisfying din at the
end of the hall. While I never learned the entire Baudot code, I was able to
recognize "RY" and "CQ" in FSK.

73 es keep the stories coming

Jim, N2EY

Old December 13th 04, 01:33 AM
Avery Fineman

In article , Dave Heil
writes:

Len Over 21 wrote:

In article ,

(N2EY) writes:

What part of the US Navy did he serve in?

What part of the US military did YOU serve in?

ex-RA16408336

What your amateur radio callsign, Len?

Ach, ja, der Gruppenfuhrer uf das Raddio Kops demands "to see
papers!" :-)

Don't let your "diplomatic training" interfere with your attempted
overthrow of the First Amendment that prohibits us U.S. citizens
from discussing FEDERAL LAW AND REGULATION.

You are still stuck on the fantasy that you have this little
fraternal order where You and Your Kind are the "only" ones
who can "make rules." Therefore, in your fantasyland vision,
all who are not licensed cannot discuss a damn thing about
amateur radio. Tsk. Secretary Powell might have frowned on
your fantasy world dicta. Maybe Condie Rice will buy it? :-)

Oh, and on the thread, I didn't need any amateur radio license
to get into the Signal Corps, then get assigned to a station
with three dozen high-power HF transmitters, then operate them
and maintain them. Operation and maintenance was NOT for
amateurs. That was only the beginning for me...something that
happened while you were way too young to be responsible for
much of anything.

I suppose you are going to go into the "ham neophyte" act again,
reprising that old, trite, very tired "I will be a 'beginner' in radio if
I ever get a ham license!" Gee-suss, herr Gruppenfuhrer, what's
to know that can't be picked up in a day...and what happens if
'proceedure' isn't followed _exactly_? Will I be "fired" for not using
"correct" language, format, protocol or all that other bull****? :-)

Oooooooooo...I can see the fires of a potential Flame War growing
on your side of the screen! Outrage at some "outsider" sassing
der great Gruppenfuhrer! How dare they! :-)

Focus. Try to stay within a light year of the general thread. Drop
the assinine "olde-tymer brotherhood of morsemen" schtick and
outrage at "nobody talks to us hams like that!" It got tired long ago.

A Most Pleasant Seasoned Greeting...guten abend.

Old December 13th 04, 02:08 AM
Charles Brabham

"SPAM Patrol" wrote in message
Oh my, you are very nasty fellow.

Weak sisters... Pantywaists. My pet miniature daschund could terrorize
either one or both of them at a moment's notice.

Watch out for your ankles!

Charles, N5PVL

Old December 13th 04, 05:20 AM
Dave Heil

Avery Fineman wrote:

In article , Dave Heil
writes:

Len Over 21 wrote:

In article ,

(N2EY) writes:

What part of the US Navy did he serve in?

What part of the US military did YOU serve in?

ex-RA16408336

What your amateur radio callsign, Len?

Ach, ja, der Gruppenfuhrer uf das Raddio Kops demands "to see
papers!" :-)

Didn't you just ask for Jim's papers? :-) :-)

Don't let your "diplomatic training" interfere with your attempted
overthrow of the First Amendment that prohibits us U.S. citizens
from discussing FEDERAL LAW AND REGULATION.

It is "Federal law and regulation".

You are still stuck on the fantasy that you have this little
fraternal order where You and Your Kind are the "only" ones
who can "make rules." Therefore, in your fantasyland vision,
all who are not licensed cannot discuss a damn thing about
amateur radio. Tsk. Secretary Powell might have frowned on
your fantasy world dicta. Maybe Condie Rice will buy it? :-)

Naw, Len. Me and my kind are licensed amateur radio operators. You
aren't. You can discuss and have discussed. You get quite a number of
things about amateur radio incorrect. I didn't work for Secretary
Powell and he had nothing to do with my amateur radio operation. How
did you foul that up?

Oh, and on the thread, I didn't need any amateur radio license
to get into the Signal Corps, then get assigned to a station
with three dozen high-power HF transmitters, then operate them
and maintain them.

Good for you, Len. You didn't need an "Awesome Trainer" or an amateur
license to get into the Signal Corps. Is your objective in posting here
to get back into the Signal Corps?

Operation and maintenance was NOT for
amateurs.

Sure it was, Len. I'm sure that when you first began doing such work,
you were strictly a rank beginner.

That was only the beginning for me...something that
happened while you were way too young to be responsible for
much of anything.

That's fine, old timer. I'll be happy to carry on for some time after
you are able to be responsible for much of anything. Things like that
even out. There are, of course, things which don't even out. If you
become a beginner in amateur radio, there is no realistic way for you to
enjoy four decades or more in the game. Quite a number of guys get into
ham radio late in life. Many of them are exhuberant and quick learners.
They make hay while the sun shines. Your pile of hay is quite small and
it is beginning to mildew.

I suppose you are going to go into the "ham neophyte" act again,
reprising that old, trite, very tired "I will be a 'beginner' in radio if
I ever get a ham license!" Gee-suss, herr Gruppenfuhrer, what's
to know that can't be picked up in a day...and what happens if
'proceedure' isn't followed _exactly_? Will I be "fired" for not using
"correct" language, format, protocol or all that other bull****? :-)

That's right, Len, but don't get too far ahead of yourself. When and if
you ever obtain an amateur radio license, you'll be a rank beginner in
amateur radio. You have not yet attained that status. There's plenty
to know which can't be picked up in a day.

If you don't adhere to regs, procedure, protocol, etc., you'll be at
best marked as a green op. Carry on with that and you'll be known as a
lid.
Carry it to the extreme of breaking FCC regs and the Commission can
"fire" you.

Oooooooooo...I can see the fires of a potential Flame War growing
on your side of the screen! Outrage at some "outsider" sassing
der great Gruppenfuhrer! How dare they! :-)

Outrage? I'm not even close to outrage, especially when you remind me
that you're an outsider to amateur radio. Just pace the sidelines as
you've done from the beginnings of your r.r.a.p. history.

Focus. Try to stay within a light year of the general thread. Drop
the assinine "olde-tymer brotherhood of morsemen" schtick and
outrage at "nobody talks to us hams like that!" It got tired long ago.

Let's see. You wanted to know which part of the military in which Jim
served. I suppose that makes you Gruppen-somthing of the Military
Police--you know, the guys in charge of checking everyone's military
identification in an amateur radio newsgroup. The question I posed to
you would be much more apropos in this venue. I take it that you took
offense. Well, that's nice.

A Most Pleasant Seasoned Greeting...guten abend.

That's awfully nice of you, Leonard. My mom is visiting out your way.
Perhaps I'll arrange it so that she, my sister, my niece and my nephews
can drop by and sing some carols for you. That might bring some cheer
into your existence.

Dave K8MN

Old December 13th 04, 06:23 AM
Len Over 21

In article , Dave Heil
writes:

In article , Dave Heil

writes:

Len Over 21 wrote:

In article ,

(N2EY) writes:

What part of the US Navy did he serve in?

What part of the US military did YOU serve in?

ex-RA16408336

What your amateur radio callsign, Len?

Ach, ja, der Gruppenfuhrer uf das Raddio Kops demands "to see
papers!" :-)

Didn't you just ask for Jim's papers? :-) :-)

Why? Can't he put them in the recycling barrel along with other
used paper?

Don't let your "diplomatic training" interfere with your attempted
overthrow of the First Amendment that prohibits us U.S. citizens
from discussing FEDERAL LAW AND REGULATION.

It is "Federal law and regulation".

Ah yes, herr gruppenfuhrer is now with the Syntax Squad. :-)

You are still stuck on the fantasy that you have this little
fraternal order where You and Your Kind are the "only" ones
who can "make rules." Therefore, in your fantasyland vision,
all who are not licensed cannot discuss a damn thing about
amateur radio. Tsk. Secretary Powell might have frowned on
your fantasy world dicta. Maybe Condie Rice will buy it? :-)

Naw, Len. Me and my kind are licensed amateur radio operators.

Isn't that sweet? Do you want a nice gold star on your
certificate (suitable for framing)?

You aren't.

Absolutely true. First thing you've gotten right so far...

You can discuss and have discussed.

And everyone can be sure that herr Heil will be in there with the
"you ain't got no ham license!" :-)

Heil is utterly predictable. Can't address any subject thread and
always tries for the misdirect.

You get quite a number of things about amateur radio incorrect.

I'm sure you'd like that to be true, but YOU are incorrect.

I didn't work for Secretary
Powell and he had nothing to do with my amateur radio operation.

I didn't think so. Powell has diplomacy. You don't.

How did you foul that up?

Foul what up? I didn't "foul anything up," sweetums. You keep
manufacturing incidents that don't, didn't exist. :-)

Good for you, Len. You didn't need an "Awesome Trainer" or an amateur
license to get into the Signal Corps.

Never said I needed some "Awesome trainer."

Again, you are manufacturing an incident that didn't happen.

You do that consistently.

Is your objective in posting here to get back into the Signal Corps?

No. What is YOUR "objective?" :-)

Tsk. All you seem to do is pick on certain communicators that
you don't like and then make like you "run" the show. :-)

Sure it was, Len. I'm sure that when you first began doing such work,
you were strictly a rank beginner.

Yes, I had rank. No, I was not a "beginner."

Tsk. You got it WRONG again!

You manufactured the wrong incident.

That's fine, old timer. I'll be happy to carry on for some time after
you are able to be responsible for much of anything.

I'm sure you would like that...it is shared with the trashman, you
know, the Avenging Angle of the newsgroup. :-)

Things like that
even out. There are, of course, things which don't even out. If you
become a beginner in amateur radio, there is no realistic way for you to
enjoy four decades or more in the game.

Tsk. Why is it SO necessary to do as YOU did?

Is your ego really that large that you evaluate everyone based on
your "accomplishments?" Must be.

Quite a number of guys get into
ham radio late in life. Many of them are exhuberant and quick learners.
They make hay while the sun shines. Your pile of hay is quite small and
it is beginning to mildew.

Tsk, tsk. More manufacturing of things. You have a very busy
insult factory going. Not a good thing for the image of U.S.
amateur radio, is it?

That's right, Len, but don't get too far ahead of yourself. When and if
you ever obtain an amateur radio license, you'll be a rank beginner in
amateur radio.

Tsk, tsk, tsk. Still trying to misdirect away from the thread,
aren't you? :-)

"Morse Runner" is a code contest simulator, is it not? The thread
also associated that with various others' military experience.

Now you want to return to your (predictable) diatribe of "nyah,
nyah, you will be a 'rank beginner' in amateur radio," yadada,
yadada, yadada.

You have not yet attained that status.

What "status?" :-)

Why is it so NECESSARY to have that federal license in order
to discuss the test elements for ENTERING amateur radio?

There's plenty to know which can't be picked up in a day.

Oh my! Are years and years of "hard work and study" needed,
oh mighty god of radio?

NO ONE can be as good or experienced as yourself...you've
implied that about you for years and years in here. :-)

If you don't adhere to regs, procedure, protocol, etc., you'll be at
best marked as a green op. Carry on with that and you'll be known as a
lid.

Oh, my, YES, by all means use the Proper Proceedure. Say "hi hi"
in voice instead of laughing...report all signal strengths as "599"...
and so forth.

Who said anything about "not adhering to regulations?!?"

Have you prepared some kind of court order for arrest based on
your suppostiion of the future?

Carry it to the extreme of breaking FCC regs and the Commission can
"fire" you.

Oh, my, der gruppenfuhrer suddenly morphs into Riley Hollingsworth!

So...if I laugh out loud on voice on the ham bands, I'm breaking
some kind of regulation? :-)

Outrage? I'm not even close to outrage, especially when you remind me
that you're an outsider to amateur radio.

With your behavior, it's a wonder that anyone accessing this
newsgroup wants to get into U.S. amateur radio.

Just pace the sidelines as
you've done from the beginnings of your r.r.a.p. history.

Tsk. You should have put that as "all my life" instead of just some
kind of "history in r.r.a.p." :-)

You're slowing down, old fella. Age is beginning to set into your
little neurons.

No, wait. It must be RELIGIOUS THING with you. All without
ham licenses are some kind of "infidels?" Yes, that must be it.
You've gone on and on about that AMATEUR license as some
kind of "holy grail" or a "Mecca" to visit or similar.

You don't accept a whole career in radio-electronics as good for
anything, do you? Nope. You dismiss it. Spoils the hell out
your rant, doesn't it? :-)

Let's see. You wanted to know which part of the military in which Jim
served.

Jim who? Tsk. You are trying to be Hall Monitor again?

The question I posed to
you would be much more apropos in this venue.

No, NOT "apropo." The subject thread started out talking about
a new freeware called "Morse Runner," a CW contest simulator.

I'm sure it is a nice computer program and well written.

However, I'd never be involved in the so-called "radiosport" of
making as many "contacts" as possible in a given amount of
time. That's not communicating anything. That's just some
kind of game. I can get all sorts of computer games to play
with and so can everyone else.

Do I need an amateur radio license to run a GAME on a computer?
Absolutely NOT. Hundreds of thousands of unlicensed others do
that every day, most not even using any sort of "wireless" hookup.

Do I need an amateur radio license to run a transmitter NOT on
the ham bands? No, that requires, for some radio services (but
not all), a COMMERCIAL license. Tsk, I've had one of those
since early 1956. :-)

No, you keep coming back to what YOU think is "apropo," that
of constantly bothering about MY not having an amateur radio
license. That BOTHERS you since that's about all you can do,
bring that up in any thread NOT about that subject.

That's awfully nice of you, Leonard. My mom is visiting out your way.
Perhaps I'll arrange it so that she, my sister, my niece and my nephews
can drop by and sing some carols for you. That might bring some cheer
into your existence.

"Cheer?" Try some industrial floor cleaner instead of laundry soap.
They can scrub the oil spots out of the garage floor. Minimum wage
even if their Green Cards are up to date.

Meanwhile, you keep on your wonderful, warm-spirited recruiting
campaign to entice newcomers to U.S. amateur radio by saying
they will all be "rank beginners!" The way you are going here there
won't be any worry about using up all the sequentially-assigned
call signs for years. :-)

Don't burn your menorah candles at both ends.