Old December 16th 04, 06:12 AM
K4YZ

Default K0HB Supports Terrorist Use Of GPS Net Against America

From another thread, Hans made the most assinine statement:

QUOTE

K=D8HB Dec 15, 8:23 pm hide options

Newsgroups: rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.policy
From: "K=D8HB" - Find messages by this author

Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2004 04:23:21 GMT
Subject: Problem for boaters and APRS?
original | Report Abuse

A friend sent me the link below. At first I thought it had to be an
April Fool joke, but apparently The Shrub really IS that stupid!

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/nati...atellites.html

UNQUOTE

What the article said, in part:

QUOTE:

Bush Prepares for Possible GPS Shutdown
By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

Published: December 15, 2004

Filed at 10:17 p.m. ET

WASHINGTON (AP) -- President Bush has ordered plans for temporarily
disabling the U.S. network of global positioning satellites during a
national crisis to prevent terrorists from using the navigational
technology, the White House said Wednesday.

Any shutdown of the network inside the United States would come under
only the most remarkable circumstances, said a Bush administration
official who spoke to a small group of reporters at the White House on
condition of anonymity.

UNQUOTE

"The Shrub"...?!?!

"April Fool's Joke"...?!?!

Hans, you're an idiot or an Al-Queda supporter.

How do I know this?

Because ONLY an idiot or an Al-Queda supporter could suggest that
making it difficult for terrorists to use our own systems against us is
an "April Fool's Joke".

BTW...I correct my earlier statement about Slick Willy making the
GPS net available in "93 or 94"...that was when he initially suggested
it. It became effective in 2000. It was discussed in Flying magazine
as early and the late 80's.

None-the-less, the idea of being able to inhibit or completely
disable the system is STILL not new, and I for one hope they DO keep
the reigns on it! It was an error to let it loose in the first place.
Steve, K4YZ

Old December 16th 04, 12:50 PM

N2EY wrote:
In article . com,

"K4YZ"
writes:

"The Shrub"...?!?!

Yes.

If it's OK to call President Clinton "Slick Willy", then it's also OK

to call
President Bush "the shrub".

"April Fool's Joke"...?!?!

Hans, you're an idiot or an Al-Queda supporter.

I don't think he's either.

How do I know this?

Because ONLY an idiot or an Al-Queda supporter could suggest that
making it difficult for terrorists to use our own systems against us

is
an "April Fool's Joke".

Why are we so dependent on such systems in the first place?

BTW...I correct my earlier statement about Slick Willy making the
GPS net available in "93 or 94"...that was when he initially

suggested
it. It became effective in 2000. It was discussed in Flying

magazine
as early and the late 80's.

None-the-less, the idea of being able to inhibit or completely
disable the system is STILL not new, and I for one hope they DO keep
the reigns on it! It was an error to let it loose in the first

place.

You mean "reins"?

IIRC, the inhibition was turned off before Gulf War 1 and simply left

turned
off.

Had to do with inhibiting high-accuracy commercial applications like
surveying and precison aircarft navigation AND the competition. The
Russians have their own GPS system and the Euros are developing yet
another one. Down the road the most accurate of the three systems is
where the traffic will go and there's big bucks at stake in that.
w3rv

73 de Jim, N2EY

Old December 16th 04, 02:48 PM
KØHB

"K4YZ" wrote

It was an error to let it loose in the first place.

You're an idiot, and The Shrub is an idiot. Has nothing to do with terrorists.

PLONK

Welcome to my permanent bit bucket.

Old December 16th 04, 03:08 PM
KØHB

wrote

Had to do with inhibiting high-accuracy commercial applications like
surveying and precison aircarft navigation AND the competition.

There are industries, including things as basic as grain farming which depend on
the current accuracy of the GPS system.

Some sheet-head with a bomb doesn't need GPS to find a tall building to target,
but many segments of our economy depend on it. Taking down GPS for that reason
is equivalent to taking down the world-wide-web because Tim McVeigh used it to
look up the address of the Federal Building in OKC.

73, de Hans, K0HB

Old December 16th 04, 05:17 PM
Michael Black

"KØHB" ) writes:
wrote

Had to do with inhibiting high-accuracy commercial applications like
surveying and precison aircarft navigation AND the competition.

There are industries, including things as basic as grain farming which depend on
the current accuracy of the GPS system.

Some sheet-head with a bomb doesn't need GPS to find a tall building to target,
but many segments of our economy depend on it. Taking down GPS for that reason
is equivalent to taking down the world-wide-web because Tim McVeigh used it to
look up the address of the Federal Building in OKC.

73, de Hans, K0HB

But it is sort of interesting, since it's akin to shutting down radio
stations so they can't be beacons in times of war, and countries taking
down signs so invaders would have a bit more difficulty and lights being
kept low during WWII. In other words, there is precedence.

On the other hand, you're right, it would affect quite a bit at this
point. And unless there is all out war, one has to balance the danger
of something against the inconvenience.

Michael VE2BVW

Old December 16th 04, 05:37 PM
Steve Robeson K4YZ

From: PAMNO (N2EY)
Date: 12/16/2004 4:26 AM Central Standard Time
In article . com, "K4YZ"
writes:

"The Shrub"...?!?!

Yes.

Hardly. This nation has bandied-about it's "Don't Tread On Me" attitude
for since the fifties yet has gotten into the practice of tucking tail and
running when it get's slapped around a little bit.

We finally have a President who slapped back. Now everyone is upset that
he actaully DID what he said he would do.

If it's OK to call President Clinton "Slick Willy", then it's also OK to call
President Bush "the shrub".

"April Fool's Joke"...?!?!

Hans, you're an idiot or an Al-Queda supporter.

I don't think he's either.

I do.

His gross disrespect for a sitting President and obvious disdain for a
policy that is intended to deny potential adversaries the opportunity to use
our own systems against us speaks for itself.

Hans is an idiot and an Al-Queda supporter. His allegedly well-educated
mind could have more effectively expressed an opposing view of the government's
policies without being disrespectful or insulting. He didn't. He went right
to the deminutives. Funny how he accuses me of that...............

How do I know this?

Because ONLY an idiot or an Al-Queda supporter could suggest that
making it difficult for terrorists to use our own systems against us is
an "April Fool's Joke".

Why are we so dependent on such systems in the first place?

For the same reason we are so "dependent" on TV, radio, electric lights
and penicillin.

It makes our lives easier. Of course in the mean time we LOSE basic
skills that, in the absence of those assets, will be necessary.

BTW...I correct my earlier statement about Slick Willy making the
GPS net available in "93 or 94"...that was when he initially suggested
it. It became effective in 2000. It was discussed in Flying magazine
as early and the late 80's.

None-the-less, the idea of being able to inhibit or completely
disable the system is STILL not new, and I for one hope they DO keep
the reigns on it! It was an error to let it loose in the first place.

You mean "reins"?

Did you understand what I wrote, Jim?

Are you now going to follow in Brain's and Lennie's footsteps with
whittling a post down to spelling?

IIRC, the inhibition was turned off before Gulf War 1 and simply left turned
off.

Perhaps. Still does not negate the fact that it was a mistake to do so.

73

Steve, K4YZ

Old December 16th 04, 05:51 PM
Mike Coslo

Psychiatrist to Hams wrote:

PKB

I'll bite. What is PKB?

- Mike KB3EIA -

Old December 16th 04, 05:58 PM
KØHB

"N2EY" wrote

If it's OK to call President Clinton "Slick Willy", then it's also
OK to call President Bush "the shrub".

That's obvious to you and me, but Steve is the master of "dual standards" (I
think his term when others follow his example is "two faced").

73, de Hans, K0HB

Old December 16th 04, 06:02 PM
Mike Coslo

A strange thing in this whole new range war is something that is a
little disturbing.

That is the propensity for people who think that while it is an okay
thing to refer to the previous president as "Slick Willie".

And yet it is some sort of crime to refer to the present one as "shrub".

While I do not call either one by those pejorative, it is hard to not
equate such an attitude as hypocrisy. There seems to be an attitude
brewing that any disagreement equals treason.

Hey Pubs!! Now is the time to revive the Sedition Acts. This is your
chance to quash those opposing viewpoints! ;^)

How to listen to terrorist radios ???? Bruno Beam Homebrew 15 December 16th 04 08:09 PM
Once upon a time in America there came to be a giant of an organization called the American Radio Relay League (ARRL). KC8QJP General 3 October 11th 04 10:44 AM
Once upon a time in America there came to be a giant of an organization called the American Radio Relay League (ARRL). KC8QJP Policy 3 October 11th 04 10:44 AM
Air America MondayMornin Antenna 25 April 29th 04 02:10 AM
F5RMX is a dangerous gay CBer terrorist Brian Policy 1 October 18th 03 07:50 AM