Old July 22nd 05, 06:16 AM
John Smith

Robert:

I would think a real president would have surrounded himself with
highly capable people.

In the event of ANY threat, accident or other occurrence, a
contingency plan would already be in place which would cover the
emergency in question--indeed, if it were I which were president,
there would even be a plan in place which would ensure America is
quite safe and well protected and life could go on as usual with
EVERYTHING being taken in step, even upon my death, or even the death
of myself and a great number of my people. If you are president there
is no reason to expect the American people to settle for anything
less!

Indeed, even if I were blocked from communication and interaction, for
some period of time, my people would have been instructed what to do
until such time as I could take my place beside them.

Now, it is fine for someone to think themself "GOD" and that the whole
universe spins about them, but as you seen with bush, this hardly is
the case when an adept person is in charge.

Indeed, if bush was visiting our most important resource (the children
of this country, as indeed what was happening) and an emergency took
place--I would go on handling the problems knowing full well that he
would need sometime to make a safe and sane exit from whatever
situations he was in, and that he was counting on me to perform in his
immediate absence--with a professional performance which would do him
justice and this nation full justice.

And, in looking back upon the whole affair, now that it has passed,
that is exactly what happened... no great surprise is it?

Indeed, now that he has had "real life" practice in just such a
situation, I would even expect it to smoother next time, and there
would even be less of a need for his quick departure...

John

"robert casey" wrote in message
nk.net...

Did you see Farenheit 911? Always working on .... things. Golly,
he seemed
so indecisive in Florida with the schoolchildren when the first
tower was
hit. Eyes kept going back and fourth ... then the secret service
guy
whispered in his ear (the second tower was hit). Still he sat
there with
his eyeballs clicking back and fourth.

If I was president, I would have just terminated the
classroom photo op. "Sorry kids, something's come up,
I gotta go." Even if I didn't have a clue as to what
to do about it, I'd still split. Maybe go to the
principal's office and borrow the phone and call various
people at the Pentagon and such.

Back on topic, the FCC released it as a proposed rule
making. But unless someone can come up with a really
good reason to keep code, it will be history. But
I doubt that there is anything about code that the
FCC hasn't already seen.

Old July 22nd 05, 07:06 AM

Did you see Farenheit 911?

Are you laboring under the naive misimpression that Moore's flicks
are anything but *fictional* works _loosely_ based on history?

Kodak was canceling traditional photographic products and laying
off staff during the Clinton administration. The fact that film has
been
rightly replaced by digital capture has essentially nothing to do with
politics or the President.

Cheers,
Dana K6JQ

Old July 22nd 05, 07:07 PM

From: "Jim Hampton" on Fri 22 Jul 2005 04:00

roups.com...
From: Jim Hampton on Jul 21, 9:21 pm
From: Jim Hampton on Jul 21, 3:44 pm
"an_old_friend" wrote in message

Hello, Len

[ on memory in digital stuff ]

They don't call it "random" for nothing ))

RANDOM access memory is a term that came from the prehistory
days of computing such as the magnetic drum memory, a sort of
electromechanical version of a shift register. The F-106
interceptor fire control system [by Hughes] had a vacuum tube
digital computer with a magnetic drum memory, circa 1957. I
was in on environmental testing of that fire control system
at Hughes, primarily the radar and missle launch control parts.

The first mass memory things were magnetic tape transports,
then "hard" magneitc disks in addition to somewhat large
solid-state shift registers. All of those had to go through
an ordered sequence of data storage to reach the desired data.
RANDOM access memory took a while to develop manufacturing
processes for large memory storage on a chip. RAM is like the
old "crossbar" telephone switching that enables control of the
exact "position" of data storage at will. No sequencing
through other data to get to what you want.

Put a micro$oft operating system with it and you have a perfect random
machine.

The only thing "wrong" with Microsoft is that Bill Gates and
Paul Allen got into the monopoly business FIRST. :-)

Everyone else bitches and moans about MS because they didn't
get all the megabucks. shrug

I'm just getting started on actual Windows programming and have
come to appreciate the enormous flexibility/programmability of
the Windows32 system. There's a lot more to it than just some
flashy GUI and it has enormous potential beyond the booring
PR squibs in the newsstand magazines on "computing."

What ever happened to bubble memory? With my beer intake, I have a
reasonable fascimile of bubble memory.

Magnetic bubble memory, splashy though it was in countless little
PR squibs, just never got into reliable nanosecond read/write
times nor did the manufacturing process result in high yields
of really MASS memory.

Bubble memory went flat when the FLASH and extraordinary-
low keep-alive power CMOS memory technologies were developed.
Had it been brewed in Milwaukee it might have had a chance.

FLASH memory technology packages have been built by the MILLIONS
and now used all over the world in everything from TV sets to
lawn sprinkler controllers to modern ham HF-VHF-UHF transceivers.
CMOS technology went a couple of plateau magnitudes farther and
resulted in nanosecond-speed digital gates with zilch standby
power requirements as well as huge, huge capacity RAM. The
little watch-fob size "USB disk" portable memory things use up
to half a Gigabyte of CMOS RAM and plug into a USB port for
mass transfer of data. The same things are used in digital
cameras...motion picture cameras that eliminate the need for a
magnetic tape cartridge storage (you can get those for under
$300 at Good Guys or Best Buy)!

Brian Woods' DZ Sienna (and its no-longer-on-sale PSKUBE) use
a single-board PC made by another company. Easily enough RAM
and ROM on that small plug-in PC-on-a-single-board to hold a
half-Gigabyte RAM plus peripheral interface circuitry to do
the Sienna controlling, internal DSP, whatevers, plus whatever
a clever user can adapt (programs written and developed on any
standard PC). Those single-board-PC plug-ins are used in the
electronics industry in all kinds of things, built by at least
a couple dozen USA companies...plus more available from off-
shore designer-makers. There's even more microcontroller and
microprocessor hardware-software on the market from USA
companies, UK companies, Asian companies for everything from
robotics hobby thingies to appliance and precision instrument
control...including at least three monthly periodicals covering
just the subject of hobby robotics. Hobby robotics is an
activity area which has had extraordinary growth and mainly
involves "simple" electronics of the digital kind...but is
adapted with all sorts of home-grown programming of the
PIC and Atmel microcontrollers.

Microchip Corporation here in the southwest has shown a
phenomenal growth pattern over the last decade plus. They
make the PIC series of microcontrollers...plus both CMOS
and FLASH memory plus (now) many kinds of interface devices
for use with their PICs. Economical prices without
scrimping on function or processing speed. [see Allied,
DigiKey, Newark, Mouser catalogs for listings]

Withoutadoubt the BIGGEST use of on-off keyed CW "rigs" is
the keyless auto lock (key fob transmitter) for autos.
Made by the millions, in use today in the millions, damn
good security, "sends" and "receives" at rates far above
the ability of the best-trained, most-experienced USN
radio operator! :-) Far more keyless auto locks now than
the sum total of all "CW" radios put together in the
history of radio. [no, one can't "work DX" on those "CW"
"rigs" but it enables one to get in a vehicle to GO where
lots of that DX is located...] [similarly, you can't get
the security with a "CW" ham rig to open a car or start
the ignition or even open a garage door...it ain't fast
enough and the "CW op" can't do the math to set or decode
that kind of code] Little battery inside is said to be
good for five years of "normal use" in the Chebby Malibu
MAXX my wife and I got three weeks ago. Love it! Love
that "control panel" on it and all its features, all
possible with microcontrollers and digital devices and
sensors all over the car. Drives well, too. :-)

Old July 22nd 05, 09:34 PM
robert casey

John Smith wrote:

Robert:

I would think a real president would have surrounded himself with
highly capable people.

In the event of ANY threat, accident or other occurrence, a
contingency plan would already be in place which would cover the
emergency in question

To have such plans, you have to think of all possible
threats ahead of time. But in this case, enough people
figured out what to do to handle it. Someone at the FAA
decided on his own to clear the air of all aircraft.
A sensible move, you don't know if there are more
aircraft that will get hijacked. But we had the people
in the government who were smart enough to make these
decisions as needed. So the president did have a good
staff.

My comment about Bush's not bailing out of a 2nd grade
classroom was that it tended to make him look as
if he was thinking "Oh Sh-t, now what am I gonna do".
Maybe the kids would be disappointed if I bailed
right then, but they'd soon understand that night that I had
a whole country to take care of.
Old July 22nd 05, 09:39 PM
John Smith

robert:

Oh no, not at all...

My second in command of the military would know my wishes and take
immediate action--with my blessings...

.... it would be the same for all my "second in commands"...

Only an idiot would think one man really runs this country. Not even
bill gates can run ms all by himself... this country is a MUCH LARGER
problem to put under one man...

Indeed, old little georgie boy does something that congress doesn't
like and his little butt could be toast...

John

"robert casey" wrote in message
news

Old July 22nd 05, 09:40 PM
an old friend

robert casey wrote:
John Smith wrote:

Robert:

I would think a real president would have surrounded himself with
highly capable people.

In the event of ANY threat, accident or other occurrence, a
contingency plan would already be in place which would cover the
emergency in question

To have such plans, you have to think of all possible
threats ahead of time. But in this case, enough people
figured out what to do to handle it. Someone at the FAA
decided on his own to clear the air of all aircraft.
A sensible move, you don't know if there are more
aircraft that will get hijacked. But we had the people
in the government who were smart enough to make these
decisions as needed. So the president did have a good
staff.

break

My comment about Bush's not bailing out of a 2nd grade
classroom was that it tended to make him look as
if he was thinking "Oh Sh-t, now what am I gonna do".
Maybe the kids would be disappointed if I bailed
right then, but they'd soon understand that night that I had
a whole country to take care of.

and just what would bush's leaving have done to improve the situation

Old July 22nd 05, 11:18 PM
Dee Flint

[...]

All the arguments on both sides have been presented a multitude of times.
Since there's really nothing new to be said, I'm pretty sure this will go
through in this form.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Old July 23rd 05, 02:16 AM
Cmdr Buzz Corey

John Smith wrote:
[...]

So you can think of every possible threating event that could ever
possibly occur and be prepaired for it. Sure you can.
Old July 23rd 05, 03:37 AM
John Smith

commander buzzoff:

You mean you bought georgies line?
The one where he is the only capable man of running this country?

Get real, cheney can do just as good a job...

The house speaker can too...

However, yes, I would have wrote down plans on what to do if attacked
by a foreign power....

.... would have written down plans if a giant meteor struck the earth
in my absence too... and the first step in BOTH instances would be to
raise the guard and do damage/tactical assessment--if a clear enemy is
evident--strike back--if the attack was conventional weapons--then use
conventional weapons, if nuclear--respond with a minimum megaton-age
of 10X that used against us (well, maybe not 10X, but at least 2X
grin.) Frankly, I can't go into any more detail here, if I win the
presidency--it will weaken my position having everyone knowing my
plans... ROFLOL!!!!

I believe was being done as the pres finished his little chat with the
kids... assessment and raising the alert level... no clear enemy was
identified at that time (even now that is difficult)

.... frankly, those kids are more important that a couple of
buildings--and, like you see here, takes awhile to get ahold of the
bad guys and string 'em up!

John

"Cmdr Buzz Corey" wrote in message
John Smith wrote:
[...]

1930's Futuristic Shortwave Wood Radio - Searchlight radio - info wanted [email protected] Shortwave 0 January 12th 05 04:56 PM
The Apollo Hoax FAQ darla General 0 July 22nd 04 12:14 PM
Info: Yaesu FT-901 [email protected] Swap 0 July 10th 04 02:51 AM
OLD motorola trunking information jack smith Scanner 1 December 12th 03 09:48 AM