Old July 22nd 05, 12:22 PM

Default Observations and predictions on the NPRM

Observations:

- Although the majority of individuals who commented on the 18
proposals supported code testing, FCC proposes to completely
eliminate it.

- There were a lot of ideas in the 18 proposals other than the code
test. FCC simply denied all suggestions for change *except* dumping
Element 1. Free upgrades for Advanceds and Novices? New entry level
classes? More HF bandspace/modes for Novices and Tech Pluses? "No" to
all of them.

- The changes of 2000 brought a lot of upgrades and some short-term
growth, but now the number of individuals with unexpired US ham
licenses is almost 10,000 below what it was in May of 2000. Nor has
there been any sort of "techno-revolution" from the reductions in code
testing.

Predictions:

- There will be a lot of debate and commentary. But in the end FCC will
just dump Element 1 and make no other changes.

- There will be a lot of upgrades and a short-term peak in licenses.
But not long term growth.

- The HF/MF bands will not be overrun with more activity.

- There will not be a "revolution" in technology used by hams brought
by the new folks.

- The focus will shift to a debate about widening the 'phone subbands
or even having no mode subbands at all.

73 de Jim, N2EY

Old July 22nd 05, 12:42 PM
K4YZ

Observations:

- Although the majority of individuals who commented on the 18
proposals supported code testing, FCC proposes to completely
eliminate it.

Amazing, isn't it?

They ask for public opinion then say "We'll do what we want
anyway..."

- There were a lot of ideas in the 18 proposals other than the code
test. FCC simply denied all suggestions for change *except* dumping
Element 1. Free upgrades for Advanceds and Novices? New entry level
classes? More HF bandspace/modes for Novices and Tech Pluses? "No" to
all of them.

They said it in 98...They want to reduce all administrative burden
to an absolute minimum...

The fewer regulations there are on the books, the less enforcement
they have to do. I am surprised they haven't tried to "outsource"
their enforcement duties.

- The changes of 2000 brought a lot of upgrades and some short-term
growth, but now the number of individuals with unexpired US ham
licenses is almost 10,000 below what it was in May of 2000. Nor has
there been any sort of "techno-revolution" from the reductions in code
testing.

Predictions:

- There will be a lot of debate and commentary. But in the end FCC will
just dump Element 1 and make no other changes.

I'm still holding out for 5WPM for Extra, but prudence says you're
right.

- There will be a lot of upgrades and a short-term peak in licenses.
But not long term growth.

There never has been, there never will be. Reducing testing,
either the number of written test or the 13/20WPM Code tests, has not
done a thing to move the service forward.

- The HF/MF bands will not be overrun with more activity.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.....For a while there will be...All those new
"Generals" will plop down some bucks on HF stations, work some DX, then

- There will not be a "revolution" in technology used by hams brought
by the new folks.

They've had their chance since 1991 to do that if they wanted.

- The focus will shift to a debate about widening the 'phone subbands
or even having no mode subbands at all.

As I was saying in another thread...!

73

Steve, K4YZ

Old July 22nd 05, 04:03 PM
Michael Coslo

[...]

Agreed

- There will be a lot of upgrades and a short-term peak in licenses.
But not long term growth.

Agreed

- The HF/MF bands will not be overrun with more activity.

MOre activity, but not likely overrun.

- There will not be a "revolution" in technology used by hams brought
by the new folks.

No, certainly not brought about by the new folks - as a group. But I
don't doubt that some of the new folks may very well involved.

- The focus will shift to a debate about widening the 'phone subbands
or even having no mode subbands at all.

Yawn! That won't be anywhere near as much fun as the Element 1 debate!

One more thing that will happen, and I hope it doesn't. I anticipate a
bit of class warfare, as (some of) the code tested try to establish
superiority over the great unwashed who enter the ARS.

Quite frankly, that will make those so called elite a worse problem
than the newbies coming into the service.

Now will be a time for Elmering and openness. I've sat and listened to
enough grumbling about Nickel Extras such as myself, right to my face,
from OT's who haven't done a thing for the service for years, talk about
how "Any idiot can become a Ham now." This happens more often than it
should.

I intend to provide as much help to the newcomers as possible, instead
of grousing about the "good old days", and steely eyed F.C.C testing agents.

That I support Element 1 testing is of no consequence to the new people.

I suggest that the Ham who wants to be thought of as superior establish
that superiority by example, not by grousing or ridiculing the new
folks. Foster the idea that good manners and technical acumen is a good
thing.

Just some thoughts.....

- Mike KB3EIA -

Old July 22nd 05, 05:06 PM
an_old_friend

Observations:

- Although the majority of individuals who commented on the 18
proposals supported code testing, FCC proposes to completely
eliminate it.

which show the strengh of the augue emnts against continued code
testing

- There were a lot of ideas in the 18 proposals other than the code
test. FCC simply denied all suggestions for change *except* dumping
Element 1. Free upgrades for Advanceds and Novices? New entry level
classes? More HF bandspace/modes for Novices and Tech Pluses? "No" to
all of them.

wrong they considered and rejected them

The FCC is taking one of the easist ways out as should have been
expected

- The changes of 2000 brought a lot of upgrades and some short-term
growth, but now the number of individuals with unexpired US ham
licenses is almost 10,000 below what it was in May of 2000. Nor has
there been any sort of "techno-revolution" from the reductions in code
testing.

none promised you a revolution

i was arround and Know you nor anyone else was promised a revolution

Predictions:

- There will be a lot of debate and commentary. But in the end FCC will
just dump Element 1 and make no other changes.

most likely right

- There will be a lot of upgrades and a short-term peak in licenses.
But not long term growth.

maybe all we can hope for form just the rules is to slow the bleeding

next stepp is up to us if we can't shakes the notion that Ham radio is
still back in what is seen as the dark ages of radio we have some real
hope

- The HF/MF bands will not be overrun with more activity.

- There will not be a "revolution" in technology used by hams brought
by the new folks.

no revolution was promised

merely progress

- The focus will shift to a debate about widening the 'phone subbands
or even having no mode subbands at all.

the discusion hasalways included that so you are safe

Your tone seems to me to forsee fear that your your preffered mode is
going to squeezed out

73 de Jim, N2EY

Old July 22nd 05, 05:10 PM
John Smith

an_old_pervert:

Duh!

Think about it, they were not just asking for comments on peoples
likes, dislikes and wants...

They actually wanted relevant arguments of worth, purpose and logic to
be presented--obliviously, when none could be presented which posed
sufficient reasons for keeping it--it was decided to drop it.

Imagine that, using logic and worth to decide something--now you don't
see that type of common sense these days--how dare they do something
like that!!!

ROFLOL!!!!

John

"an_old_friend" wrote in message
oups.com...

Old July 22nd 05, 05:12 PM
an_old_friend

K4YZ wrote:
wrote:
Observations:

- Although the majority of individuals who commented on the 18
proposals supported code testing, FCC proposes to completely
eliminate it.

Amazing, isn't it?

why that is the way the system is set up

why are you amazed it is being followed

They ask for public opinion then say "We'll do what we want
anyway..."

they have to ask for it

so they do

you can't make listen to it

gorw up and learn how the world works

- There were a lot of ideas in the 18 proposals other than the code
test. FCC simply denied all suggestions for change *except* dumping
Element 1. Free upgrades for Advanceds and Novices? New entry level
classes? More HF bandspace/modes for Novices and Tech Pluses? "No" to
all of them.

They said it in 98...They want to reduce all administrative burden
to an absolute minimum...

The fewer regulations there are on the books, the less enforcement
they have to do. I am surprised they haven't tried to "outsource"
their enforcement duties.

I do hear rumous they have looked into that

- The changes of 2000 brought a lot of upgrades and some short-term
growth, but now the number of individuals with unexpired US ham
licenses is almost 10,000 below what it was in May of 2000. Nor has
there been any sort of "techno-revolution" from the reductions in code
testing.

Predictions:

- There will be a lot of debate and commentary. But in the end FCC will
just dump Element 1 and make no other changes.

I'm still holding out for 5WPM for Extra, but prudence says you're
right.

a few sign of light stevie

- There will be a lot of upgrades and a short-term peak in licenses.
But not long term growth.

There never has been, there never will be. Reducing testing,
either the number of written test or the 13/20WPM Code tests, has not
done a thing to move the service forward.

esp with attitudes like your it will be hard

- The HF/MF bands will not be overrun with more activity.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.....For a while there will be...All those new
"Generals" will plop down some bucks on HF stations, work some DX, then

yea right

grow up and drink your sour grapes

- There will not be a "revolution" in technology used by hams brought
by the new folks.

They've had their chance since 1991 to do that if they wanted.

if they wanted?

what have you done to advance the radio in your time as a ham

I have tried to add a mode or band or something each year to my
operating

I have not made it (was just too busy moving and building) but I try

you just want to sit back and let "Them" carry the freight

- The focus will shift to a debate about widening the 'phone subbands
or even having no mode subbands at all.

As I was saying in another thread...!

been around as long as I have been likely longer

73

Steve, K4YZ

Old July 22nd 05, 05:34 PM
K4YZ

an_old_friend wrote:
K4YZ wrote:
wrote:
Observations:

- Although the majority of individuals who commented on the 18
proposals supported code testing, FCC proposes to completely
eliminate it.

Amazing, isn't it?

why that is the way the system is set up

why are you amazed it is being followed

It's not being followed if the public says "A" and the government
does "B".

They ask for public opinion then say "We'll do what we want
anyway..."

they have to ask for it

so they do

you can't make listen to it

Sure you can.

gorw up and learn how the world works

Why don't you, Deviant Boy?

- There were a lot of ideas in the 18 proposals other than the code
test. FCC simply denied all suggestions for change *except* dumping
Element 1. Free upgrades for Advanceds and Novices? New entry level
classes? More HF bandspace/modes for Novices and Tech Pluses? "No" to
all of them.

They said it in 98...They want to reduce all administrative burden
to an absolute minimum...

The fewer regulations there are on the books, the less enforcement
they have to do. I am surprised they haven't tried to "outsource"
their enforcement duties.

I do hear rumous they have looked into that

Uh huh.

Rumors.

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

[...]

It's not MY attitude that needs to be dealt with, Markie.

It's the attitudes of the people who keep making these assinine
assertions about how this change or that change is going to be the
salvation of the Amateur Radio service.

The FCC has said it so many times now they even believe thier own
rhetoric and repeat it in this NPRM.

- The HF/MF bands will not be overrun with more activity.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.....For a while there will be...All those new
"Generals" will plop down some bucks on HF stations, work some DX, then

yea right

It happened with "Novice Enhancement"

It happened with the introduction of the NCT.

It happened with the last Restructuring round.

What makes Deviant Markie even the least bit doubtful that it
won't happen THIS time?

grow up and drink your sour grapes

What sour grapes?

It happened. Three times.

- There will not be a "revolution" in technology used by hams brought
by the new folks.

They've had their chance since 1991 to do that if they wanted.

if they wanted?

If they wanted, Markie.

W H E R E are all the "engineering types that the NCT was
supposed to bring into Amateur Radio?

what have you done to advance the radio in your time as a ham

A lot more than you, Markie. Starting with being an Elmer and a
VE. Add to that ARES, MARS, etc etc etc

I have tried to add a mode or band or something each year to my
operating

I have not made it (was just too busy moving and building) but I try

you just want to sit back and let "Them" carry the freight

There's that "carry the freight" line again.

Still not applicable, but at least you spelled "freight" right
this time.

- The focus will shift to a debate about widening the 'phone subbands
or even having no mode subbands at all.

As I was saying in another thread...!

been around as long as I have been likely longer

No doubt.

Steve, K4YZ

Old July 22nd 05, 06:11 PM
an_old_friend

K4YZ wrote:
an_old_friend wrote:
K4YZ wrote:
wrote:
Observations:

- Although the majority of individuals who commented on the 18
proposals supported code testing, FCC proposes to completely
eliminate it.

Amazing, isn't it?

why that is the way the system is set up

why are you amazed it is being followed

It's not being followed if the public says "A" and the government
does "B".

yes it is the public is allowed coment, not control

the system as I understand it at one time did not even allow coment by
the public

this is not a democratic govt but a republican one

They ask for public opinion then say "We'll do what we want
anyway..."

they have to ask for it

so they do

you can't make listen to it

Sure you can.

not realy you can try

gorw up and learn how the world works

Why don't you, Deviant Boy?

I have. I know how it works. you don't

- There were a lot of ideas in the 18 proposals other than the code
test. FCC simply denied all suggestions for change *except* dumping
Element 1. Free upgrades for Advanceds and Novices? New entry level
classes? More HF bandspace/modes for Novices and Tech Pluses? "No" to
all of them.

They said it in 98...They want to reduce all administrative burden
to an absolute minimum...

The fewer regulations there are on the books, the less enforcement
they have to do. I am surprised they haven't tried to "outsource"
their enforcement duties.

I do hear rumous they have looked into that

Uh huh.

Rumors.

even in agreeing with you can't be polite

[...]

it certainly is

as you diatribe against Kim clearly shows

It's the attitudes of the people who keep making these assinine
assertions about how this change or that change is going to be the
salvation of the Amateur Radio service.

Nobody is saying that only the oponents of change are saying someone is
saying it

It will certainly help but you may yet manage to help kill the ars
stevie

I hope you will then be happy but I doubt it

you likely will find some way in your head of blaming me personaly

The FCC has said it so many times now they even believe thier own
rhetoric and repeat it in this NPRM.

You saying the FCC was lying when it said it found no reason for code
testing besides the treaty. It found none, none have been advanced that
meet the laugh test, and now they are lowing the boom on your egomania

- The HF/MF bands will not be overrun with more activity.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.....For a while there will be...All those new
"Generals" will plop down some bucks on HF stations, work some DX, then

yea right

It happened with "Novice Enhancement"

wouldn't know, but I doubt it

It happened with the introduction of the NCT.

not likely, it almost can't have

It happened with the last Restructuring round.

nope I was there

What makes Deviant Markie even the least bit doubtful that it
won't happen THIS time?

looking at reality

grow up and drink your sour grapes

What sour grapes?

yours
the sour grapes you ares pilling all over the group

It happened. Three times.

I know better on at least one of those case

- There will not be a "revolution" in technology used by hams brought
by the new folks.

They've had their chance since 1991 to do that if they wanted.

if they wanted?

If they wanted, Markie.

right you are lazy and let other do your work for you

W H E R E are all the "engineering types that the NCT was
supposed to bring into Amateur Radio?

Stevie can't coment on the claims made by those before NCT but I have
seen your (lack of) track record for honesty and do not accept your
accessment

beside it is clear you did not do YOUR part in bring that about

what have you done to advance the radio in your time as a ham

A lot more than you, Markie. Starting with being an Elmer and a
VE. Add to that ARES, MARS, etc etc etc

realy lets see I am not aloowed to be a VE done ares stuff, not done
anything with Mars. I elmer (even elmer generals and extras in digital
modes)

but all that is operating. what have you done to advance radio?

I have tried to add a mode or band or something each year to my
operating

I have not made it (was just too busy moving and building) but I try

you just want to sit back and let "Them" carry the freight

There's that "carry the freight" line again.

yes becuase it is true you want everyone else to work while you rest on
your laurels

Still not applicable, but at least you spelled "freight" right
this time.

yep it is

you still have not advanced any occasion when you have even tried
something new on the air

Old July 22nd 05, 06:18 PM
John Smith

Can you blame them for not wanting comment.

Bet that only fills their mailbox with those expecting special
treatment, action for historical reasons, and a demand for them to be
observant of the writers wants and desires!

John

"an_old_friend" wrote in message
ups.com...

K4YZ wrote:

Old July 22nd 05, 07:05 PM

From: Michael Coslo on Jul 22, 11:03 am

wrote:
Observations:

- Although the majority of individuals who commented on the 18
proposals supported code testing, FCC proposes to completely
eliminate it.

That "observation" is ERRONEOUS unless the statistics work
can be presented to "prove" that the "majority 'supported'
code testing."

- There were a lot of ideas in the 18 proposals other than the code
test. FCC simply denied all suggestions for change *except* dumping
Element 1. Free upgrades for Advanceds and Novices? New entry level
classes? More HF bandspace/modes for Novices and Tech Pluses? "No" to
all of them.

- The changes of 2000 brought a lot of upgrades and some short-term
growth, but now the number of individuals with unexpired US ham
licenses is almost 10,000 below what it was in May of 2000. Nor has
there been any sort of "techno-revolution" from the reductions in code
testing.

Again, an ERRONEOUS observation based on rather public data
websites showing that the peak of licensee numbers happened
in July of 2003...and the drop to present-day numbers was only
TWO-THIRDS of that "10,000."

Predictions:

- There will not be a "revolution" in technology used by hams brought
by the new folks.

No, certainly not brought about by the new folks - as a group. But I
don't doubt that some of the new folks may very well involved.

What are you saying in that last sentence?

Since when has "a group" brought about sudden changes (a
"revolution")?

Nearly ALL technical innovation in amateur radio has been
brought on by INDIVIDUALS or individual corporations.

- The focus will shift to a debate about widening the 'phone subbands
or even having no mode subbands at all.

Yawn! That won't be anywhere near as much fun as the Element 1 debate!

TS

One more thing that will happen, and I hope it doesn't. I anticipate a
bit of class warfare, as (some of) the code tested try to establish
superiority over the great unwashed who enter the ARS.

Great leaping whatzits! These Mighty Macho Morsemen have been
making "superiority" noises over others for DECADES!

The "class warfare" stuff was what created the old Byzantine
CLASS SYSTEM in U.S. ham radio!!!

Quite frankly, that will make those so called elite a worse problem
than the newbies coming into the service.

What you mean NOW, kimosabe?

Try 40 to 20 years before now. Seen it. Part of the reason I
never bothered with an amateur radio license was the attitudes
of the vocal yokels and their "authorized by the federal
government" importance and "superiority."

Now will be a time for Elmering and openness. I've sat and listened to
enough grumbling about Nickel Extras such as myself, right to my face,
from OT's who haven't done a thing for the service for years, talk about
how "Any idiot can become a Ham now." This happens more often than it
should.

Total agreement with you on that!

I intend to provide as much help to the newcomers as possible, instead
of grousing about the "good old days", and steely eyed F.C.C testing agents.

:-)

That I support Element 1 testing is of no consequence to the new people.

I suggest that the Ham who wants to be thought of as superior establish
that superiority by example, not by grousing or ridiculing the new
folks. Foster the idea that good manners and technical acumen is a good
thing.

Will you nominate K4YZ to lead that group? :-) :-) :-)

Just some thoughts.....

...and mine, SUPPORTING the elimination of the morse code test.

bit bit