Old April 17th 08, 06:53 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Newbie ?:Are Kaito radios any good?

Dear Cato,

The Sony ICF-SW7600GR is still Made in Japan - and to a very high
construction standard too, not even to mention its excellent
performance. It can still be purchased new for $150.00 or less.

Best,

Joe

On Apr 16, 10:29 am, Cato wrote:

... you will have a terrible time
trying to find less expensive new shortwave radios that aren't made or
at least assembled in China these days,,,
You have to be willing to shell out some big bucks for pricey
exotic professional class radios to get radios that are not made in
China.
Those kind of radios are not any good for traveling or backpacking.
And they are out of the range of those of us who don't have lots to
spend on radios.
Even Sony stuff is made or assembled in China now.

Turns out that many of us are stuck.... having to buy a radio from
Commie China if we want a radio.... I wish it wasn't that way.,...

The Kaito radios I have seem to be very good radios... I use
batteries, not the wall wart....not worried about a fire. My KA1102
seems to be at least as good as my older Sony ICF 7600D (ICF2002) that
was built in Japan.
(when I was a kid the expression.. "Made in Japan" was an insult.
Japan used to have a reputation of making cheap junk)

I don't like the fact that I can't buy a good European or North
American or Japanese made radio unless it is an older used one.
Much rather buy from those sources then from a communist
country...not a lot of choice any more.,...

Even a company like Grundig or Eton.... all their radios are made
in China now...

Old April 17th 08, 07:17 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

Default Sony ICF-SW7600GR AM/FM Shortwave Radio : Yes It Is StillMade-in-Japan

On Apr 17, 10:53*am, Joe Analssandrini
wrote:
- - On Apr 16, 10:29 am, Cato wrote:
- - Even Sony stuff is made or assembled in China now.

- Dear Cato,
-
- The Sony ICF-SW7600GR is still Made in Japan
- and to a very high construction standard too,
- not even to mention its excellent performance.
- It can still be purchased new for $150.00 or less.
-
- Best,
-
- Joe

Ditto That Joe,

Sony ICF-SW7600GR AM/FM Shortwave Radio :
Yes It Is Still "Made-in-Japan"

Matter-of-Fact : Says So Right On My Radio ;-}

The Sony ICF-SW7600GR AM/FM Shortwave Radio at
$130~$150 + S&H is well regarded by many Shortwave
RadioListeners (SWL) who used a 'portable' SW Radio
for Travel and On-the-Go.
http://www.universal-radio.com/CATAL...able/0360.html
Plus at home in the Radio Shack it can handle a moderate
size outside Radndom Wire Antenna very well.

=PS= STILL MADE IN JAPAN TO HIGH QUALITY STANDARDS

* eHAM Reviews for Sony AM/FM Shortwave Radio
-aka- World Band Receiver - Model : ICF-SW7600GR
http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/1534

* Review of the Sony ICF-SW7600GR AM/FM/SW Radio
http://www.mwcircle.org/res-receiver-sonysw7600gr.htm
-from- Radio Netherlands Worldwide (RNW)
-by- Thomas R. Sundstrom { Sony ICF-SW7600GR }
-hosted by- Medium Wave Circle

* Sony Shortwave Radio
http://search.ebay.com/%20Sony%20Shortwave%20Radio

* Sony ICF-SW7600GR AM/FM Shortwave Radio
http://cgi.ebay.com/_W0QQitemZ160229070142
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...X/ref=dp_olp_2

this one's a real 'sony' and that's no baloney ~ RHF
Old April 17th 08, 07:38 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Apr 16, 10:29*am, Cato wrote:
On Apr 15, 3:58*pm, wrote:

What do they call that little round L whatever it is label? that America
sticks on Approved (or used to anyway) house hold approved
items/products? Guess what? (say, what?) Chinkland Commie Chicoms are
fakeing them little stickers and they are planting them on all kinds of
burn your house down items.Lay off of Kaito!
cuhulin *

* Yes Cuhulin.. but the problem is... you will have a terrible time
[...]

Have you considered that the Made in Japan label may represent
something entirely different than what you think it does?

It would be worth looking into the percentage of Japanese made content
is required to allow use of that label. (It isn't 100%) Given that a
lot of electronic components are coming from China, Taiwan and other
non-japanese localities I would not be at all surprised if a fair
portion of that radio is not from Japan.

I'm fascinated at the attention we give to the Made In Japan label
now. Some people view chinese goods as unfovorably now as some people
viewed japanese made goods in the 1950's. Reality notwithstanding.

Old April 18th 08, 12:32 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

If you go clothes shopping at a store and the little label on the
clothes says, Made In America, chances are only the label(s) were Made
In America.Some people think Holland is a Country, especially them
wimmins at the Goodwill store when they turn over a Made In Holland
article/item/bricabrac.I tried to tell them wimmins before that Holland
isn't a Country.Actually, there is a North Holland and a South Holland
in the Nederlands.(Netherlands) I just can't convince them wimmins
Holland is not a Country.My 1914 Ford T Model Car was Made In America,
except for the reproduction tires which were Made In India.My 1948
Willys Jeep was Made In America.My 1978 Dodge Van was Made In
America.(www.devilfinder.com Tom McCahill Test the Jeep) My 1961
Sachs Hercules Moped (it has bicycle pedals on it) was Made In
Germany.My little Australian Blue Heeler Cattle Dog (she owns the couch)
www.cattledog.com www.acdca.org was Made In Raymond,Mississippi,
eight miles Southwest of doggy's couch.
cuhulin

Old April 18th 08, 01:31 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Apr 17, 1:53*pm, Joe Analssandrini
wrote:
Dear Cato,

The Sony ICF-SW7600GR is still Made in Japan - and to a very high
construction standard too, not even to mention its excellent
performance. It can still be purchased new for $150.00 or less.

Best,

Joe

Yes... sorry... I made a mistake..... I had read an article some
time ago about Sony, and China....turns out they just get a lot of
their parts from China now,,, although they still put them together in
Japan.

Old April 18th 08, 01:50 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Apr 17, 2:11*pm, Bart Bailey wrote:
In

posted on Wed, 16 Apr 2008 07:29:46 -0700 (PDT), Cato wrote: Begin *

* Even a company like Grundig or Eton.... all their radios are made
in China now...

Nope, not all, as if it should matter.

Uhmm... the Eton E5 and Grundig G5 are made in China (Looking at the
back of my E5 "designed in California, made in China".

The Eton E100....... on the back of the radio it says..... Made in
China.

As of 2001, many of the suppliers to Sony had already shifted
production to China, where labor costs at the time, (2001) were 1/30th
of the costs in Japan.

Sony itself now gets many parts from China.

Sony to Shift Parts Supplies to China People's Daily,
Business, Thursday, September 27, 2001, updated at 13:44(GMT+8)

Outsourcing?
Old April 18th 08, 04:02 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Dear Cato,

You are quite correct. In fact, when I opened my Made-in-the-UK AOR
AR7030 Plus soon after purchasing it (just to see what it looked like
inside), I was surprised to see several of the parts had "China"
printed on them.

I suppose that, with electronics, it's like with bicycles: certain
necessary parts are manufactured in one country only due to the fact
that it is uneconomical for companies to try to compete. In other
words, sales of a particular item are so low (and so specialized) that
it does not pay for someone to try to compete with an established
supplier, hence there is a virtual monopoly existing for that
particular part(s).

Nowadays, it seems that the countries of choice for certain low-
production, highly specialized electronic components are China and
India.

Frankly, there is nothing wrong with this. In fact, with such
products, it is possible for competition to actually raise prices.
Since the components do not actually "show," no one is the wiser
(unless you're like me - somewhat curious).

The Sony ICF-SW35, recently discontinued, was entirely made in China.
And I have to tell you (I own two of them, both purchased in April
2001) that they are made to the same high standard as any other Sony
radio. Mine are kept, winter and summer, in the glove box of our cars
(just to have with us whenever we might want to have a radio handy).
The batteries are removed. Whenever I do reinstall the batteries, the
radio just works. That's pretty robust, in my opinion.

While I have not opened up any of my Sony ICF-SW7600GRs, I am certain
that many, if not most, components therein are sourced in China. But,
I tell you frankly, that the ICF-SW7600GR (and its predecessor model
ICF-SW7600G)
is assembled better than any other compact shortwave receiver I have
personally seen recently, certainly better than any current Chinese-
assembled one (with the exception of the aforementioned ICF-SW35).
And, in general (especially due to the presence of a synchronous
detection circuit), the '7600GR outperforms most, if not all, others
in its class as well.

That, of course, is not to say that the Chinese-assembled radios can
not be made in a robust fashion. I think the Chinese (and Indian)
factories are just as capable of producing as high-quality electronics
as anyone. It's just that, so far at least, most of the importers, and
thus the factories supplying products to the importers'
specifications, seem more concerned with "low price" rather than "high
quality." (Research the quality problems with the Grundig Satellit 800
and the Eton E1, for example.)

One of these days, the Chinese government (and possibly the Indian
government as well) is going to realize the "negative" impressions
this sort of thing gives to their country and, like the Japanese
government many years ago, they will mandate that only high quality
(and government approved) products are allowed to be exported, at
least until such time as the actual manufacturers themselves insist on
producing only high quality products.

But, to get back to the general gist of this post, if one can afford
$150.00 (or sometimes less), the very best compact shortwave portable
radio currently being manufactured is, in my personal opinion, the
Sony ICF-SW7600GR.

Best,

Joe.