Old April 13th 08, 10:11 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Newbie ?:Are Kaito radios any good?

I recently bought a Kaito KA11 Am/Fm/SW radio. It is small, has
digital tuning and scanning and I thought it would be a nice radio to
start out with. I think I made a mistake.

I have never had such a hard time programming a radio. You have to
keep taking the batteries out and then try and hit certain keys within
a second or two once you put them back in. Ths sound quality is not
that good either.

While I can get a few things on SW, lots of stuff on FM (even though
it does not sound that good) I cannot get anything on AM except
static. It has a metal anntenna and also comes with an external wire
antenna. Is that what I am supposed to use to get AM stations? I sure
hope not as my other radios only use the telescoping antennas and AM
comes in fine. Any ideas on why I cannot get any AM stations with this
when I can with cheaper pocket radios? Here is what I have and
hopefully someone here can give me your thoughts on this radio:

http://www.radiointel.com/review-kaitoka11.htm

Lastly, I cannot afford alot. Can someone recommend a good small radio
I could carry with me, something that offers digital tuning, manual or
auto scanning and memory to set lots of favorite channels?

Thanks,
Haci
Old April 13th 08, 10:22 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Hi Hacci

Go to the reviews of shortwave radios on www.eham.com and look at the
reviews of the Kaito 1103. I think that you will be pleasantly
surprised
Old April 13th 08, 11:36 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Apr 13, 5:11*pm, Hacienda de Ville ferrante276-
wrote:
[...]

Also take a look at the reviews of Kaito and Degen radios including
the DE1103 on www.Radiointel.com Degen and Kaito are essentially the
same receiver but branded differently for different markets.
Additionally, take a look at receivers from Redsun.

Best of luck in the search and be sure to post your choice.
Old April 14th 08, 02:35 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Perhaps you got a bad one that slipped past quality control
inspection. My KA11 gets quite a bit on AM, as well as FM and SW for
the size of radio that it is.
The telescopic antenna and extra wire is only for FM and SW. There
is an internal ferrite bar antenna that is for AM as in most radios of
this type. You must turn the radio around to get the best reception as
the ferrite bar is directional.

Among my collection of radios, the KA11 is one of my favorites in
the "tiny" category. Along with the Eton E100. My KA11 pwerforms very
well for its size and I'm very happy with it.

As for sound.. the smaller the speaker the worse the sound. This is
the same for all radios. And remember that the KA11 is about the size
of a deck of cards. Take any tiny little radio with a tiny speaker and
compare the sound with a radio that is much bigger and has a lot
bigger speaker. The smaller the speaker... the worse the sound. 99
times out of a 100.

If your money is limited... you might want to look at the Kaito
KA1101 which has great reviews on the internet and in Passport to
World Band Radio. Passport to World Band Radio is a book you shoulde
get hold of. They test all the radios out there and report on them.

Another one, with SSB is the Kaito KA1102. A great little radio.
Both the 1101 andf 1102 are bigger then the KA11, and being bigger
with more controls they sound better and pull in more stations.

Degen has these same radios with the DE prefix instead of KA.

I don't have the Kaito KA1103... but I have the Eton E5 which was
the replacement for the 1103. Katio sold the design, but it is still
produced in the same Chinese factory as the rest. Grundig also has
this radio.. selling it as the G5

The internals of the E5 and side panels and back panel is the same
as the 1103 and come out of the same molds. The difference is that the
E5 gets rid of the fake analog dial, making room for a common sense
control layout. It is much more friendly ergonomically.

All these radios are radios I own, along with others like the Sony
ICF7600D, the Eton E100 and a Panasonic RF2200.
They all perform very well for me, including the Kaito KA11. Just
don't expect a tiny little single conversion radio to perform and
sound like a larger more expensive radio that has a larger speaker,
dual conversion, multiple bandwidths etc. They won't.
Best of luck.
Old April 14th 08, 02:47 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Oh yes,,,, you were mentioning size..... from small to large.....
Kaito KA11, Eton E100, Kaito KA1101, Kaito KA1102, Kaito KA1103
(Grundig/Eton G5/E5 is the same size as the 1103.)

If small size is important, you might not want to go larger then
the Kaito KA1101. On backpacking trips, my KA11 or Eton E100 goes into
my pack. My larger radios stay home.

Old April 14th 08, 04:28 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

On Apr 13, 2:11*pm, Hacienda de Ville ferrante276-
wrote:
[...]

HdV - Look on eBay for some Made-in-China Radios. ~ RHF
You can usually buy them at a lower cost.

* Degen Radio Shortwave
http://search.ebay.com/%20Degen%20Shortwave%20Radio

* Tecsun Radio Shortwave
http://search.ebay.com/%20Tecsun%20Shortwave%20Radio

* Redsun Radio Shortwave
http://search.ebay.com/%20Redsun%20Shortwave%20Radio

Note - Many of the "Kaito" Brand Shortwave Radios
are just re-named Chinese made Radios.

* Kaito Radio Shortwave
http://search.ebay.com/%20Kaito%20Shortwave%20Radio

Plus - There are the "Sangean" Brand Shortwave Radios
from Taiwan : Many of which are now 'Made-in China'

* Sangean Shortwave Radio
http://search.ebay.com/%20Sangean%20Shortwave%20Radio

MORE . . .

* Grundig and Eton Shortwave Radio
http://search.ebay.com/%20Grundig%20Shortwave%20Radio
http://search.ebay.com/%20Eton%20Shortwave%20Radio

* Sony Shortwave Radio
http://search.ebay.com/%20Sony%20Shortwave%20Radio

FWIW - If you can afford it the Sony ICF-SW7600GR AM/FM
Shortwave Radio at $130~$150 is well regarded by many.

* Sony ICF-SW7600GR AM/FM Shortwave Radio
http://cgi.ebay.com/_W0QQitemZ160229070142
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...X/ref=dp_olp_2

hope this helps ~ RHF
Old April 14th 08, 03:17 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Hi,
I certainly appreciate everything all of you are suggesting. I
started playing with my Kaito KA11 hoping that I could try and get
some things as I do like the size of it. Today, I am going to take it
out as see if I get AM on the outside. If not, something is definitely
wrong with this radio.
When I scan the SW bands, I am disappointed as I get nothing except
two different broadcasts, both religious. I was hoping to get the BBC
and other things. Apparently that is not to be, at least not in my
apartment. I will try outside and see what happens and post later what
I found out.
On some of the models you guys recommended, I saw different SW bands
covered. This radio has coverage of 5.80-18.10. Is that good or should
I try and get one that covers the whole spectrum. With what this
covers, should I be getting more than I am and does the BBC fall
within this range.
Again, please know I sincerely appreciate the help you are giving me
and thank you for allowing me to ask what may appear to some as stupid
questions.

Haci
Old April 14th 08, 05:21 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

Default SWL -Newbies- Using Your "Kaito" AM FM Shortwave Radio for the FirstTime

On Apr 14, 7:17*am, Hacienda de Ville ferrante276-
wrote:
[...]

First - Take the Radio and the Owner's Manual out and sit
down and Handle the Radio along with Reading the Manual.
-Tip- Insert the Batteries into the Radio.

Kaito KA11 Digital AM FM Shortwave Radio
http://www.kaitousa.com/KA11.htm
http://www.radiointel.com/review-kaitoka11.htm
http://www.universal-radio.com/CATAL...able/0011.html

Kaito KA11 AM FM SW Radio Controls
http://www.universal-radio.com/CATAL...e/0011cont.jpg

Kaito KA11 AM FM SW Radio Specifications
http://www.universal-radio.com/CATAL.../0011spec.html

OK so when you take your Radio 'outside' :

1 - Make sure that the "DX/Local" Switch is in the DX position.
http://www.universal-radio.com/CATAL...e/0011side.jpg

2 - For FM Band Radio reception Extend the Radio's
Whip Antenna fully Straight-Up.

3 - For AM/MW Band Radio reception the Radio uses
it's built-in AM/MW Ferrite Rod Antenna :
* Collapse the Radio's Whip Antenna.
* Rotate the Radio around for the Best reception of
each Radio Station Peaking and Nulling the signal.

4 - For Shortwave Radio reception use :
http://www.universal-radio.com/CATAL...e/0011side.jpg
* Outdoor Antenna Socket and plug-in the
* Soft-Wire or Reel Antenna**; and extend the Antenna
Wire Up and Away from the Radio into the Air.
http://www.kaitousa.com/radioimages/KA11F.jpg
http://www.universal-radio.com/CATAL...le/0011sys.jpg

For Day-Time Shortwave Listening with the
Kaito KA11 AM FM SW Radio try :
25m Shortwave Band : 11,500 - 12,200 kHz
22m Shortwave Band : 13,510 - 13,900 kHz
19m Shortwave Band : 15,000 - 15,700 kHz

For Night-Time Shortwave Listening with the
Kaito KA11 AM FM SW Radio try :
49m Shortwave Band : 5,800 - 6,400 kHz
41m Shortwave Band : 6,900 - 7,400 kHz
31m Shortwave Band : 9,100 - 9,990 kHz

** 23 Foot Reel {Roll-Up} Shortwave Antenna
http://www.kaitousa.com/Antenna.htm
http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/sw_ant/3184.html
Old April 14th 08, 06:16 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Dont leave that Kaito plugged in when you leave your house.It might burn
your house down.
cuhulin

Old April 14th 08, 06:46 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Hello: The best thing to do if you already haven't done so is to
get a shortwave frequency guide with broadcast times for international
broadcasters, and the frequencys they broadcast on. Popular
Communications magazine, and Passport to World Band Radio have such
timetables. There are other sources also.
Also you will get much better reception at around sunset and
later.....daytime is not the best.
Reception is always better outside. Or string the wire around your
window...... If you have a lot of emi/rf souirces in your home...
that will make things worse.

My KA11 is as good little radio for its size.,.... I can pick up a
surprisingly high number of stations on all bands....

So I am still wondering if you got a bad KA11 that slipped past
their quality control inspectors. If you have your bill and the
warranty is in effect, I would think of taking it back and trying
another one or two. The only thing is... being in a store full of
electronics... and possibly with a lot of shielding in the building...
even the best radio might get next to nothing in reception on SW.

Get a couple of issues of Popular Communications..... get Passport
to World Band Radio.... do some searches on the sites that others have
mentioned here.... There is some learning to do as far as finding out
how to increase your reception with your radio.

Perhaps a short outdoor antenna would be good for you.... you
wouldn't want it very long with such a small radio.... you could
easily overload it.

Best of luck....
Cato

(Greetings Cuhulin...... I use all my radios with re-chargeable
batteries, except my Panasonic RF2200 that I have plugged in in the
back room. I don't like to leave anything plugged in that doesn't
really have to be plugged in. Is it the wall-wart that comes with the
Kaito? How about a better wall-wart? Would that stop the hazard?)