Old April 14th 08, 06:49 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Newbie ?:Are Kaito radios any good?

RHF has certainly put a lot of useful info here to help a newbie
with the KA11. Many thanks to him....

Cato
Old April 14th 08, 11:53 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Dear Sir,

If you recently bought this radio from a reputable dealer, take it or
send it back for replacement (NOT repair) under warranty. It certainly
sounds to me as though your radio is defective. I should hope that a
replacement unit will perform better and to your satisfaction.

Best,

Joe

On Apr 13, 5:11 pm, Hacienda de Ville ferrante276-
wrote:
I recently bought a Kaito KA11 Am/Fm/SW radio. It is small, has
digital tuning and scanning and I thought it would be a nice radio to
start out with. I think I made a mistake.

I have never had such a hard time programming a radio. You have to
keep taking the batteries out and then try and hit certain keys within
a second or two once you put them back in. Ths sound quality is not
that good either.

While I can get a few things on SW, lots of stuff on FM (even though
it does not sound that good) I cannot get anything on AM except
static. It has a metal anntenna and also comes with an external wire
antenna. Is that what I am supposed to use to get AM stations? I sure
hope not as my other radios only use the telescoping antennas and AM
comes in fine. Any ideas on why I cannot get any AM stations with this
when I can with cheaper pocket radios? Here is what I have and
hopefully someone here can give me your thoughts on this radio:

http://www.radiointel.com/review-kaitoka11.htm

Lastly, I cannot afford alot. Can someone recommend a good small radio
I could carry with me, something that offers digital tuning, manual or
auto scanning and memory to set lots of favorite channels?

Thanks,
Haci

Old April 15th 08, 01:40 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Friends,
I am in a hurry to get to school, but I wanted to post this: today,
I tried my Kaito KA11 outside while in different places throughout the
city and nothing. No AM reception and no SW reception at all, just
static. Unfortunately, I bought this from Ebay and here is what the
guy posted in his ad:

This radio is BRAND NEW and UNUSED. I haven't even had it a week. I
ended up getting a different travel radio.

A very thorough review of the radio can be found he
http://www.radiointel.com/review-kaitoka11.htm

Shipping only $3.49 within the USA!
I think I am going to write him again. He told me that he had no
problem with it and was able to pick up AM stations, yet in his ad he
states it never has been used.

I also think I am going to contact Ebay about it. I paid $39.95 and
the $3.49 shipping. I am not sure contacting Kaito will do any good as
I have the registration card here and was excited and wanted to try it
out. I am upset as I cannot afford a lot and I think this guy knew of
the problems and that is why he sold it.

Btw, I did as you guys suggested and went out and bought 2008 edition
of The Passport to World Band Radio, today. I got a coupon from Barnes
and Noble for 25% off any one item, plus my buddy is a member so I got
another 10% off and got the book for just a little over $16! Now if
only I had a radio to use with it...

Thanks friends,
Haci
Old April 15th 08, 01:44 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Hi,
It is me again. I forgot to include this in my last post. I did
e-mail the seller and will include my initial e-mail and then his
response. You decide if he seems honest or not:

(My e-mail)

Hello,
I won the auction from you for this radio. However, I am having
problems getting any stations on AM. Can you explain why that
might be? I do like the radio, but I will tell you, I have never
had one this hard to program and operate. I know that is not your
fault, but I wish it were easier. I must be doing something wrong.
Any ideas, please? Thanks.
(His response)

Hello,

I played around with that radio for about an hour one afternoon just
to see what it could do. I got AM stations no problem but I am right
in Chicago so the signals are strong. I didn't try to pull in any
distant stations. Shortwave seemed to work well - also FM was good.
Other than that I can't add anything more about that particular radio.
There are some radio forums online where someone might be able to help
out more with that model.

I have a Kaito KA1103 too which I like a lot but is too big (for me)
for traveling. Their radios are quality but I agree there are some
unusual features and controls. Especially the KA1103. The manuals
are funny too - very bad translations into English! I hope you have
luck with it and get it working the way you want it. It seems like a
cool little radio.

John W.

Any advice?
thanks,
Haci
Old April 15th 08, 02:32 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Friends,
I have been looking around for different radios. I sort of like this
one. Anyone know anything about it:

http://www.universal-radio.com/catal...able/0550.html

Thanks,
Haci

Old April 15th 08, 07:23 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

I wouldn't buy a Kaito ''radio''
cuhulin

Old April 16th 08, 01:00 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Senior Member

On Apr 15, 9:32*am, Hacienda de Ville ferrante276-
wrote:
Friends,
* I have been looking around for different radios. I sort of like this
one. Anyone know anything about it:

http://www.universal-radio.com/catal...able/0550.html

Thanks,
Haci

The Grundig YB 550 is identical to the Tecsun PL-230. You can find a
review of the radio here at RadioIntel.com.
http://www.radiointel.com/review-tecsunpl230.htm

As others here have mentioned, the KA1103 is supposed to be a worthy
performer. Costs more but you might give it a look.
Old April 16th 08, 03:12 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

wrote:
Friends,
* I have been looking around for different radios. I sort of like this
one. Anyone know anything about it:

http://www.universal-radio.com/catal...able/0550.html

Thanks,
Haci

The Grundig YB 550 is identical to the Tecsun PL-230. *You can find a
review of the radio here at RadioIntel.com.http://www.radiointel.com/review-tecsunpl230.htm

As others here have mentioned, the KA1103 is supposed to be a worthy
performer. * Costs more but you might give it a look.

The Kaito KA1103 has terrible ergonomics including a fake "looks
cool" analog screen that takes up room that could have gone to a
common sense control layout. (volume control is weird for example.)

They redesigned it and sold the design to Grundig/Eton.
The improved radio came out as the Grundig G5 ands Eton E5. I
bought one and it's a great radio. But the 1103/G5/E5 size is too big
for my backpacking trips.
Price has dropped quite a bit and it can be had for less then $100
at some places. Much better ergonomics, common sense controls. Rumours
of a slight increase of sensitivity over the 1103.

Old April 16th 08, 03:29 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Apr 15, 3:58*pm, wrote:
What do they call that little round L whatever it is label? that America
sticks on Approved (or used to anyway) house hold approved
items/products? Guess what? (say, what?) Chinkland Commie Chicoms are
fakeing them little stickers and they are planting them on all kinds of
burn your house down items.Lay off of Kaito!
cuhulin *

Yes Cuhulin.. but the problem is... you will have a terrible time
trying to find less expensive new shortwave radios that aren't made or
at least assembled in China these days,,,
You have to be willing to shell out some big bucks for pricey
exotic professional class radios to get radios that are not made in
China.
Those kind of radios are not any good for traveling or backpacking.
And they are out of the range of those of us who don't have lots to
spend on radios.
Even Sony stuff is made or assembled in China now.

Turns out that many of us are stuck.... having to buy a radio from
Commie China if we want a radio.... I wish it wasn't that way.,...

The Kaito radios I have seem to be very good radios... I use
batteries, not the wall wart....not worried about a fire. My KA1102
seems to be at least as good as my older Sony ICF 7600D (ICF2002) that
was built in Japan.
(when I was a kid the expression.. "Made in Japan" was an insult.
Japan used to have a reputation of making cheap junk)

I don't like the fact that I can't buy a good European or North
American or Japanese made radio unless it is an older used one.
Much rather buy from those sources then from a communist
country...not a lot of choice any more.,...

Even a company like Grundig or Eton.... all their radios are made
in China now...
Old April 17th 08, 01:58 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

wrote:
[...]

of a slight increase of sensitivity over the 1103.- Hide quoted text -

Cato,

Interesting "Info" on the Kaito KA 1103 Radio
http://www.universal-radio.com/catal...able/0028.html

to Grundig G5 / Eton E5 Radios
http://www.universal-radio.com/catal...able/3005.html

evolution in Ergonomics and Performance.

~ RHF