Old December 5th 09, 03:58 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Portable SW Radio Antenna Jack

I've got a nifty little Grundig G6 Aviator radio and I want to build
an active antenna to plug into the antenna jack. This radio, like
many new portable SW sets, has the 1/8" mono jack for antenna
output.

Can anyone tell me which contact is for the antenna? The tip or the
shaft? (Heh-heh...tip... shaft). Is the other contact the ground? In
the old days the desktop rigs either had a PL259 or a terminal strip
for hooking up an antenna.

Thanks,
Good DX/SWL

James
NB1R
Lexington MA
Old December 6th 09, 02:49 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Dec 5, 10:58*am, NB1R wrote:
I've got a nifty little Grundig G6 Aviator radio and I want to build
an active antenna to plug into the antenna jack. *This radio, like
many new portable SW sets, has the 1/8" mono jack for antenna
output.

Can anyone tell me which contact is for the antenna? *The tip or the
shaft? (Heh-heh...tip... shaft). *Is the other contact the ground? *In
the old days the desktop rigs either had a PL259 or a terminal strip
for hooking up an antenna.

Thanks,
Good DX/SWL

James
NB1R
Lexington MA

I would think the tip is the antenna, but I wonder if it really makes
much of a difference. Especially if your active antenna isn't
connected to ground.

Regards
Bob
N9NEO

Old December 6th 09, 04:33 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Dec 5, 9:49*pm, N9NEO wrote:
On Dec 5, 10:58*am, NB1R wrote:

[...]

Thanks Bob,

The more I think of it, I'm sure I can check both contacts with my ohm
meter against the radio's whip antenna when I get ready to wire the
plug.

Best,
James
NB1R
Old December 6th 09, 06:29 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

NB1R wrote:

The more I think of it, I'm sure I can check both contacts with my ohm
meter against the radio's whip antenna when I get ready to wire the
plug.

Good way to burn out the front end of your radio if it is not protected
against such things. (e.g. Sony ICF-2010)

Since no one has not answered it's the tip is the antenna and the ring
(outside) is ground. It's best if you use a short jumper of very flexible
coax (rg-174) from it as the stress from something hard (rg-58, rg-6), etc will
damage the radio.

Geoff.

Old December 6th 09, 09:06 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

On Dec 5, 7:58*am, NB1R wrote:
I've got a nifty little Grundig G6 Aviator radio and I want to build
an active antenna to plug into the antenna jack. *This radio, like
many new portable SW sets, has the 1/8" mono jack for antenna
output.

Can anyone tell me which contact is for the antenna? *The tip or the
shaft? (Heh-heh...tip... shaft). *Is the other contact the ground? *In
the old days the desktop rigs either had a PL259 or a terminal strip
for hooking up an antenna.

Thanks,
Good DX/SWL

James
NB1R
Lexington MA

NB1R,

Grundig G6 Aviator Radio
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/images/B0018QQDII/
* Page 16 - Antenna Input is for 50~75 Ohms
http://www.etoncorp.com/upload/conte...010308_low.pdf

Check the Negative {Outer-Ring} of the DC Input
to the Outer-Ring of the Headphone Jack for
Continuity {Ground ?}.

Check the Outer-Ring of the Antenna Jack Input
to the Outer-Ring of the Headphone Jack for
Continuity {Ground ?}.

97.531% 'sure' that the "Tip" is the Antenna
{Hook-Up} Connection and the Outer-Ring
{Barrel} is the Ground Connection
-or- was that 86.420% certain . . .

Use a 1/8" {3.5mm} Plug Quick TV Antenna Adapter
with a Long Wire Antenna and Ground 'connected'
to the Screw Terminals and Plug-It-In as needed.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001JT3MNS

Alternative use a PWA -or- Tune-a-Stick Antennas

Tune-A-Stick -and- Portable Wire Antenna (PWA)
for Whip Antenna Couplers to External Shortwave
Listener (SWL) Antennas
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.r...c73c4c94625fc7
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.r...a610e444b71ebd

SWL -Newbies-
So Your 'portable' AM/FM Shortwave Radio
Needs an External Antenna for Better Reception
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.r...4fd1bafbc1ccf5
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.r...91ac1debee8e66

Old December 6th 09, 04:56 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

* Page 16 - Antenna Input is for 50~75 Ohmshttp://www.etoncorp.com/upload/contents/307/G6_Manual_US_010308_low.pdf

Listener (SWL) Antennashttp://groups.google.com/group/rec.radio.shortwave/msg/09c73c4c94625fc7http://groups.google.com/group/rec.radio.shortwave/msg/8ca610e444b71ebd

SWL -Newbies-
So Your 'portable' AM/FM Shortwave Radio
Needs an External Antenna for Better Receptionhttp://groups.google.com/group/rec.radio.shortwave/msg/fa4fd1bafbc1ccf5http://groups.google.com/group/rec.radio.shortwave/msg/8c91ac1debee8e66
*.
hope this helps - iane ~ RHF
*.
*.

Thanks for the resources and info!
James
NB1R
Old December 6th 09, 04:58 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson, Jerusalem, Israel *N3OWJ/4X1GM

Thanks Geoff!