Old August 13th 10, 12:37 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Good starter Shortwave Radio?

And sorry that my last post came in my old "Drgong" name. Anyways,
the tube radio is nice, but I suspect that if just for power usage, I
will not be overly using it.

Old August 13th 10, 12:44 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

My brother in law (he is a retired Air Force Colonel) has a big old boat
anchor radio.I never said anything to him about that radio before
because most likely he would shoot me the ''evil eye''.
cuhulin

Old August 13th 10, 04:46 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

wrote:
Look around in your area for Amateur Radio Clubs.They will help you.
cuhulin

Tell 'em Coohoo sent you!
Old August 13th 10, 01:26 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

On Aug 12, 7:10*am, Zach Edwardson wrote:
I am totally new to the hobby, so I was thinking it would be nice to
have a shortwave radio that I could listen to some broadcasts. *I
would prefer a radio that is battery independent (So I don't spend a
fortune on getting new batteries for a radio, plug in or wind up is
fine) and I really do not want to spend a ton of money on something
that I won't use much if I don't like it, so it needs to be
inexpensive (as in under $100 USD.)

ZE,

Try eBay for "Shortwave Radio" under $100 USD.
http://electronics.shop.ebay.com/Sho...=p3286.c0.m282

You might want to take a look at a new
Redsun RP2100 AM / FM / Shortwave Radio
http://cgi.ebay.com//290387798172

-or- the C. Crane Co. -model- CCRadio-SW Radio
-note- same basic SW Radio as the Redsun
http://www.universal-radio.com/catal...able/2678.html
http://www.ccrane.com/radios/shortwa...cradio-sw.aspx
both can be run for Hours on Batteries
or your Home's AC Power.

Another 'new' Shortwave Radio to consider is the
Tecsun AM FM Shortwave World Band Radio Receiver
http://cgi.ebay.com/150440623793

-or- the Grundig S350-DL AM/FM Shortwave Radio
http://cgi.ebay.com/120608458478
http://www.universal-radio.com/catal...able/0043.html
-note- same basic SW Radio as the Tecsun

Finally Check-Out the "Used" Radio Lists
at Universal-Radio .Com
http://www.universal-radio.com/used/used1.html

hope this helps ~ RHF
Old August 13th 10, 06:06 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Zach Edwardson wrote:
On Aug 12, 11:46 pm, wrote:
wrote:
Look around in your area for Amateur Radio Clubs.They will help you.
cuhulin

Tell 'em Coohoo sent you!

One of my co-workers is part of the radio club, I will have to ask him
about it, from what impressions I have had in the past, it’s very much
of a "Ham good old boys" but I am sure they will help me set up
something if I join. I just realized that while I live in a
apartment, I have a six foot Attic area that I never used, I still
have to figure out how I will get it into the main room without
drilling, but its at about 40 foot long, so I am sure that if I get
into the hobby, I know where I can set up some sort of antenna. (I
know it’s not as good as an outside antenna, but you have to use what
you have.)

As for the Hammerlund, I will be keeping it around as I have the space
and it might be a converstation starter, even if so far I have only
been able to pick up the local AM station. (Live out in a rural area)
I will get the Grundig G8 later today and start fiddling around.

I have a whopping 70' X 100' property. My antennas take about 15 square
inches on the ground (not counting all the chicken wire buried everywhere.)

Old August 13th 10, 08:04 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

On Aug 13, 10:06*am, dave wrote:
Zach Edwardson wrote:
On Aug 12, 11:46 pm, *wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Dave does all that Chicken Wire in the Ground
keep the Reptilians from the Under-Earth from
eating-up your Marijuana Plants . . .
http://www.greatdreams.com/reptlan/reps.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...lian_humanoids
Some reports say that the Reptoids like eating
the fresh un-cooked flesh of Hu-Man Marijuana
Smokers cause it has such a 'mellow' taste.

take care dave and stay 'mellow' and alive - pal ~ RHF
Old August 13th 10, 08:41 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

My property area is about 70 feet by about 140 or 150 or 160 feet.I once
measured it a bunch of years ago, but I forget.
I also own a half acre of land in Florida, does that count too?
cuhulin

Old August 13th 10, 09:14 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In article ,
Zach Edwardson wrote:
I am totally new to the hobby, so I was thinking it would be nice to
have a shortwave radio that I could listen to some broadcasts. I
would prefer a radio that is battery independent (So I don't spend a
fortune on getting new batteries for a radio, plug in or wind up is
fine) and I really do not want to spend a ton of money on something
that I won't use much if I don't like it, so it needs to be
inexpensive (as in under $100 USD.)

I really like my Crane CCRadio-SWP. It's only $50 and lasts
70 hours on 2 AAs. I use NiMHs which are rechargeable.
Old August 14th 10, 01:07 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

On Aug 13, 2:15*pm, Bob Dobbs wrote:
Zach Edwardson wrote:
I just realized that while I live in a
apartment, I have a six foot Attic area that I never used, I still
have to figure out how I will get it into the main room without
drilling, but its at about 40 foot long, so I am sure that if I get
into the hobby, I know where I can set up some sort of antenna. *(I
know it’s not as good as an outside antenna, but you have to use what
you have.)

- There's stories of folk installing 'slinky' antennas in an attic
space.
-
- --
-
- Operator Bob
- Echo Charlie 42

ATTIC LOOP ANTENNAS seem to be a better
and more effective use of the 'Space' in an Attic
and generally have lower noise pick-up too.
* simple Square for a Square Attic Area
* simple Rectangle for Rectangle Attic Area
* Bow-Tie Dipole Antenna in a Figure '8' [X]
can be either Square of Rectangle
** Center of '8' [X] Feed-Point
** 2 Opposite High Corners and 2 Opposite
Low Corners

-Tip- Using TV Wire Stand-Offs to Rig the
Antenna Wire
http://images.philips.com/is/image/PhilipsConsumer/SDV9490_27-GAL-global?wid=430&hei=430&$jpglarge$

-Wire- TV 300 Ohm Twin-Lead for the Antenna
Wire; either Wired as a 2 Parallel Twin Loops
or as a Series 2-Turn Loop.
http://therealcableguy.com/300%20ohm...20lead%202.jpg

-MLB- TV Matching Transformer 300 Ohm
Twin Lead to 75 Ohm "F" Coax Connector
http://www.summitsource.com/images/products/COTRAN.jpg

-Coax- RG6UQ 'Quad' Coax Cable feed-in-line
http://www.limesat.ca/images/rg6cut.jpg
* Use 'White' so it will blend-in

-Note- All of this is available just about anywhere
WalMart, RadioShack or a Hardware Store.

hope this helps - iane ~ RHF
Old August 14th 10, 01:27 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

Default =INFO= RX-320D HF Receiver Shortwave Radio ?

On Aug 13, 2:12*pm, Bob Dobbs wrote:
dave wrote:
Same goes for the RX320. *It is not a
true SDR; it is an old fashioned superhet with a DSP demodulator.

- http://www.universal-radio.com/CATAL...mrxvr/0320.jpg
- I can't see any knobs on this thing, they must all be in the back?
-
- --
-
- Operator Bob