Old August 12th 10, 11:36 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Good starter Shortwave Radio?

Check out any thrift stores in your area for any radios you like.I own
over 300 old radios, most of them I bought at thrift stores and junk
shops and flea markets.Check out the yard sales too.
No such thing as owning too many radios.
http://www.shopgoodwill.com
cuhulin

Old August 12th 10, 11:55 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Aug 12, 6:36*pm, wrote:
Check out any thrift stores in your area for any radios you like.I own
over 300 old radios, most of them I bought at thrift stores and junk
shops and flea markets.Check out the yard sales too.
No such thing as owning too many radios.http://www.shopgoodwill.com
cuhulin

Well the old adage of "be careful what you wish for you just might get
it"

Someone offered me a Hammerlund HQ-129x if I carted it off...now I
know why they are called boat anchors!

I know it works, as i was able to get a country radio station on it,
but i hope the poor reception was due to my improvised antenna (some
co-axle cable) and not the radio. I downloaded the manual so I know
how to warm up the tubes and all that. (Has original knobs i think)
So now I am trying learn with about 20 foot co-ax antenna.
Old August 13th 10, 12:37 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

And sorry that my last post came in my old "Drgong" name. Anyways,
the tube radio is nice, but I suspect that if just for power usage, I
will not be overly using it.

Old August 13th 10, 12:44 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

My brother in law (he is a retired Air Force Colonel) has a big old boat
anchor radio.I never said anything to him about that radio before
because most likely he would shoot me the ''evil eye''.
cuhulin