Old August 8th 13, 04:27 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default LED Recommendation...and a bit OT

Some time ago, a debate broke out on this NG, about incandescent
bulbs, vs CF. And some pretty heated conversation took place.

I don't recall if it was Bruce Jensen or Telamon, but one brought
up that CF lamps were, at best a stopgap. Which will eventually be
replaced by LEDs.

At the time, LED lamps for home lighting were $60 or more, and
produced prodigious amounts of radio interference.

Well, things are changing.

About two weeks ago, I ran across these:

http://1000bulbs.com/search/?q=%EF%B...rchButton.y=15

I was intrigued by the 3000k color temperature, as opposed to the
2800k of the CF bulbs I'd been using, for a whiter, but still warm,
light. And the 8.5 watt draw, over the 13w draw of the equivalent output
CF bulbs.

So, I relamped my kitchen with them.

First blush, nicer, more color accurate light. And, using my light
meter, more of it for the energy input.

These lamps do produce some heat, so they can't be used in closed
fixtures, but they don't generate more heat than the comparable
incandescent.

I ordered another case of them and relamped, where I could, the
rest of my house with. MUCH more light, now. And more eye pleasing
light. Especially when I"m working, this is a big help. All for half the
energy of CF bulbs.

And no measurable radio interference.

Now, this is only at two weeks. White LED's are well known to fade
over time. So, things may change, as this experiment continues.

So, take it for what it's worth. Nice savings on the ComEd bill.
More and better light. Worth a try, if you're looking to cut down your
energy usage.

Old August 8th 13, 05:15 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Thursday, August 8, 2013 10:27:04 AM UTC-5, D. Peter Maus wrote:
[...]

What name brand and part number, and how much do they cost?
Old August 8th 13, 05:35 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Thu, 8 Aug 2013, D. Peter Maus wrote:

And no measurable radio interference.

Now, this is only at two weeks. White LED's are well known to fade over
time. So, things may change, as this experiment continues.

So, take it for what it's worth. Nice savings on the ComEd bill. More and
better light. Worth a try, if you're looking to cut down your energy usage.

A couple of years ago, Ikea here had some LED desk lamps at 9.99, I think
an end of year clearout. So I bought some. I did like them, and they gave
off plenty of light, though more focused than a halogen or incandescent
desk lamp. I couldn't tell in the store how much light it put out, too
much light in the store, so I bought one and then went back when I saw
that the sample was fine at home.

The big problem was that they use switching supplies, and it was just
another noisy thing near radios. So I went back to halogen for the
bedside lamp, so I could actual hear things overnight. I have thought of
just making some analog supplies for that bedside lamp, it would be bigger
and hotter, but no noise.

I've been waiting for bigger LED bulbs to drop in price.

Michael

Old August 8th 13, 06:21 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On 2013-08-08 16:27, D. Peter Maus wrote:

[...]

So, take it for what it's worth. Nice savings on the ComEd bill.

More and better light. Worth a try, if you're looking to cut down your

energy usage.

I almost bought some LEDs when one of the local supermarkets had a batch

heavily discounted, but it would have meant changing fittings as well,

so I held off. I like "no measurable radio interference" though, so I

may well give them a try. Thanks for the relevant review.

I have a closet top shelf cram full of G.E. Reveal Incandescant 60 Watt light bulbs. I will probally be dead and gone before I ever use them all up. Looka here ilk, I just now took a 'two dollar tour' (via Youtube) of somewhere (Minehead, I think it is) in Somerset County in England. Google,,, Daihatsu Copen First Day of Ownership Part 1 Youtube
Old August 8th 13, 06:43 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

[...]

Keeping the light bulbs on in UK. Renewable Energy: Burning US Trees in UK Power Stations. www.libertypost.org I don't know if they still do it, but America used to send Ship loads of coal to U K. Google,,, Swamp Loggers Youtube

Old August 8th 13, 09:55 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On 2013-08-08 16:27, D. Peter Maus wrote:

[...]

So, take it for what it's worth. Nice savings on the ComEd bill.
More and better light. Worth a try, if you're looking to cut down your
energy usage.

I almost bought some LEDs when one of the local supermarkets had a batch
heavily discounted, but it would have meant changing fittings as well,
so I held off. I like "no measurable radio interference" though, so I
may well give them a try. Thanks for the relevant review.

You're welcome.

These are direct A19 replacements. So, sockets are the same. I just
did a pretty intense scan of the room with Zenith Royal 500. I had to
get right up on top of these things to get any hash.

Old August 9th 13, 01:37 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On 8/8/2013 11:27 AM, D. Peter Maus wrote:

These lamps do produce some heat, so they can't be used in closed
fixtures, but they don't generate more heat than the comparable
incandescent.

Huh? You say "they don't generate more heat than the comparable
incandescent." Even though you say they don't generate -more- heat, are
you implying that they generate heat -equal- to incandescent? If so,
that seems high, as a 50 w incandescent gives off 40-45 watts of heat.

Do they run hotter than the CFLs?

Even though they said don't use the CFLs in a closed fixture, I've had
two 60 watt equivalent CFLs in a hallway closed fixture and two more of
the same in an enclosed kitchen fixture. They've been there for almost a
year and have not yet burned out...or burned the house down, to say
nothing of using 1/4 of the power -- only 30 watts trapped in the
fixtures, not 120 watts.

Ultimately, LEDs will probably be the answer as soon as they get the
power up a bit more and the price down a bit more...although the price
you pointed out is pretty good.

Old August 9th 13, 07:02 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On 8/8/13 19:37 , Joe from Kokomo wrote:
On 8/8/2013 11:27 AM, D. Peter Maus wrote:

These lamps do produce some heat, so they can't be used in closed
fixtures, but they don't generate more heat than the comparable
incandescent.

Huh? You say "they don't generate more heat than the comparable
incandescent." Even though you say they don't generate -more- heat, are
you implying that they generate heat -equal- to incandescent? If so,
that seems high, as a 50 w incandescent gives off 40-45 watts of heat.

I'm implying nothing. I've not done calorie/watt tests, and haven't
done temperature measurements, yet. It's still early in the experiement.

Do they run hotter than the CFLs?

Don't appear to, but then, we're also talking about the surface area
of distribution for said heat. CFL's are non metallic, which retain
heat. These have a large aluminum base, which doesn't.

Even though they said don't use the CFLs in a closed fixture, I've had
two 60 watt equivalent CFLs in a hallway closed fixture and two more of
the same in an enclosed kitchen fixture. They've been there for almost a
year and have not yet burned out...or burned the house down, to say
nothing of using 1/4 of the power -- only 30 watts trapped in the
fixtures, not 120 watts.

Precisely. I have three fixtures, also closed, that were also not
supposed to hold CFL's, but did. For a couple of years, now. But those
self-starters were not vented, either. These power supplies are.

Ultimately, LEDs will probably be the answer as soon as they get the
power up a bit more and the price down a bit more...although the price
you pointed out is pretty good.

It's not so much power, and illumination that they've got to get up.
So to speak. Although, these, according to my meters, put out rather
much more than the 50w equivalent they're rated at. More like a good 75W
incandescent. For an 8.5w cost..that's promising.

Old August 9th 13, 07:15 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

What is the maximum wattage (equivalent) currently on the market? Am
currently 'all-incandescent' and use mostly 100 & 150 watt bulbs.

Are current LEDs living up to their price vs. longevity value? Forgetting
energy savings, are they worth the money being charged?

HG

Old August 9th 13, 07:22 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Did some temperature measurements, today.

A 23W CFL, after two hours, open table lamp fixture, showed a
plastic base surface temperature of 144 degrees F.

A 13W CFL, after two hours, open, inverted bathroom fixture,
plastic base surface temperature 141 degrees F.

8.5 LED lamp in an inverted open ceiling fixture after two hours
aluminum base surface temperature- 141 Degrees F.

Temperature of the illuminated surface each 99-109 degrees F.

Surface temperature of the illuminated surface of 75W incandescent
open fixtu 171 degrees.

newbie ask for recommendation Ningyu Shi Shortwave 0 August 7th 06 06:19 AM
Recommendation For New VOM Jim Douglas Swap 1 July 21st 04 09:52 PM
recommendation Ray Shortwave 4 March 22nd 04 01:55 AM
DC to Light Recommendation? Steve Cohen Homebrew 2 July 2nd 03 07:43 PM
DC to Light Recommendation Steve Cohen General 0 July 2nd 03 07:17 AM