Old January 4th 04, 06:20 PM
Brian

Default random wire question

I am using an inverted L random wire that feeds right in through the window
where I have my radio. Was wondering if using coax as the lead in and
running a wire from the braided shield at the feed point to a utility ground
right outside the window would help cut down on the noise that's being
generated by I assume my neighbor and perhaps myself. If so, do I just tape
back the braid and connect the inner wire of the coax to the alligator clip
that I attach to the whip on my dx-398? If you need more info please let me
know. Thanks

Brian

Old January 4th 04, 08:05 PM
Telamon

In article k.net,
"Brian" wrote:

I am using an inverted L random wire that feeds right in through the window
where I have my radio. Was wondering if using coax as the lead in and
running a wire from the braided shield at the feed point to a utility ground
right outside the window would help cut down on the noise that's being
generated by I assume my neighbor and perhaps myself. If so, do I just tape
back the braid and connect the inner wire of the coax to the alligator clip
that I attach to the whip on my dx-398? If you need more info please let me
know. Thanks

It depends. If you have noise sources in the same room or area then yes.
If the area around your radio is RF quiet then no. Chances are these
days it will help if a ground is used that is apart from the utility
ground. The utility ground will be noisy.

Most devices use the utility ground to pass noise in order to pass FCC
specifications. The conducted noise to ground helps prevent devices from
passing this noise on to the hot leads or radiating the noise.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old January 4th 04, 10:30 PM
Diverd4777

Hi Brian:
- this might indeed work;

- So give it a try . . .

Dan

Old January 4th 04, 11:27 PM
RHF

BRIAN,

1. Read these three Messages that are posted on the
SWL Antennas and AM & FM Antennas eGroup on YAHOO !

* The Classic simple "Random" Wire Antenna
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SWL-AM...na/message/465

* IMPROVING on the Classic simple "Random" Wire Antenna
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SWL-AM...na/message/466

* Building 9:1 Matching Transformer for the
Improved Classic simple "Random" Wire Antenna
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SWL-AM...na/message/467

2. IIRC - The RadioShack DX-398 (Sangean ATS-909) has both a
Whip Antenna and External Antenna Jack:

* Try connecting the Wire from your Inverted "L" Antenna
to both and see which provides the best results.

* Generally the RadioShack DX-398 has a reputation for being
better using an External Antenna connected via the 1/8" Jack
on the Side of the Radio. This is a Stereo Jack and you should
use a Stereo 1/8" Plug with the End-Tip connected to the External
Antenna Wire and the Rear-Barrel connected to the Ground Wire.
NOTE: The Center-Middle-Barrel of the 1/8" Stereo Plug is NOT Used.

3. Read these Messages posted to the RadioShack DX-398
(Sangean ATS-909) eGroup on YAHOO !

* Antenna Connection for a RadioShack DX-398
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/DX398/message/5515

* Antenna Wiring - Help Needed Please for the RadioShack DX-398
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/DX398/message/4063

* Diagram of HOW TO WIRE the External Antenna Plug RadioShack DX-398.

* External Antenna Troubles and the RadioShack DX-398
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/DX398/message/5939

* MW/LW Reception with External Antenna (Sangean ATS-909)

* RadioShack DX-398 (Sangean ATS-909) External Antenna
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/DX398/message/4310

iane ~ RHF
..
..
= = = "Brian"

Old January 4th 04, 11:49 PM
Brian

Thanks a lot everyone for your help. I have also found that there is an old
ground rod not in use anymore that I will probably use for this experiment.
I appreciate all of your replies.

Brian

"RHF" wrote in message
om...
[...]

.
.
= = = "Brian"

thlink.net...

Old January 5th 04, 04:04 AM
Brian Denley

Brian:
One more thing: It's true that a well grounded coax shield will prevent the
lead-in from acting as part of the antenna BUT you actually have to ground
BOTH ends of the shield (on the lead-in) to make this effective. Don't let
my comment stop you from experimenting, however!

Good luck!

--
Brian Denley

hlink.net...

Old January 5th 04, 08:00 AM
starman

Brian Denley wrote:

Brian:
One more thing: It's true that a well grounded coax shield will prevent the
lead-in from acting as part of the antenna BUT you actually have to ground
BOTH ends of the shield (on the lead-in) to make this effective.

I haven't found this to be so in my case. The coax shield on my low
noise inverted-L is grounded only at the bottom of the antenna's single
wire downlead, which is close to the ground. The coax runs about 75-ft
along the ground to the house, then up one story to the receiver. There
is no ground on the receiver end of the coax. The noise from home
applicances is almostly completely gone now with this antenna
configuration.

Old January 5th 04, 02:29 PM
RHF

STARMAN,

Do you have a separate Ground at the Shack for your equipment
independent of the Ground which is 'outside' at the Antenna ?
( If NOT - IMHO - You Should. )

If YES - Then when you 'connect' the Radio-End of the Coax Cable
to the Radio it is again Grounded.

TBL: Which means you have a Grounding Point at both Ends of the coax Cable.

iane ~ RHF
..
..
= = = starman

Old January 6th 04, 04:25 AM
Brian Denley

starman wrote:

I haven't found this to be so in my case. The coax shield on my low
noise inverted-L is grounded only at the bottom of the antenna's
single wire downlead, which is close to the ground. The coax runs
about 75-ft along the ground to the house, then up one story to the
receiver. There is no ground on the receiver end of the coax. The
noise from home applicances is almostly completely gone now with this
antenna configuration.

Starman:
My random wire coax feedline is also only grounded at one point (the center,
oddly enough) but the fact is that for the feedline to effectively not act
as part of the antenna, the shield must me grounded at BOTH ends. Is one
point better than nothing? Sure.

Like you, I live with it because I find it difficult to implement.

--
Brian Denley

Old January 6th 04, 07:21 AM
starman

Brian Denley wrote:

starman wrote:

I haven't found this to be so in my case. The coax shield on my low
noise inverted-L is grounded only at the bottom of the antenna's
single wire downlead, which is close to the ground. The coax runs
about 75-ft along the ground to the house, then up one story to the
receiver. There is no ground on the receiver end of the coax. The
noise from home applicances is almostly completely gone now with this
antenna configuration.

Starman:
My random wire coax feedline is also only grounded at one point (the center,
oddly enough) but the fact is that for the feedline to effectively not act
as part of the antenna, the shield must me grounded at BOTH ends. Is one
point better than nothing? Sure.

Like you, I live with it because I find it difficult to implement.

I came to the conclusion that the single ground at the far end of the
coax is 'effectively' preventing the shield from being a common mode
antenna because the noise level is much lower than before I built the
low noise 'Doty-L' antenna system. Another factor is that most of the
coax is laying on the ground. This also helps to reduce common mode
reception on the shield. There's about fifteen feet of coax above the
ground going up to the receiver on the second story. I've also noticed
that the noise level is much higher when I partially remove the antenna
coax connector on the back of the receiver, so that only the center pin
is making contact.