Old February 22nd 04, 03:42 AM
Fred

Default eBay madness strikes again

Yes, it is a nice looking Hallicrafters SX-100, but these are pretty
common. Why are people paying this much for a very common radion.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ategory=46 73

Confused
Old February 22nd 04, 05:50 AM
B Banton

On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 03:42:08 GMT, Fred
wrote:

Yes, it is a nice looking Hallicrafters SX-100, but these are pretty
common. Why are people paying this much for a very common radion.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ategory=46 73

Confused

Why does a dog lick its balls?
Old February 22nd 04, 06:24 AM
Frank Dresser

"Fred" wrote in message
news
Yes, it is a nice looking Hallicrafters SX-100, but these are pretty
common. Why are people paying this much for a very common radion.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ategory=46 73

Confused

This was an expensive radio when new. Probably about $300. According
to the Bureau of Labor Statistics' inflation calculator at:

http://www.bls.gov/cpi/

That $300 1957 cost is like $1977 today. That certainly doesn't mean the
radio is really worth almost 2 grand, but it does indicate that owning a
nice SX-100 is less of a sacrifice than it was 47 years ago.

I have no doubt the high bidder bought the radio to show it off. Doing
a really nice fixup on a radio can take hours and hours of labor. And
it may never look quite original to a sharp observer.

I wouldn't pay that much. But I like to fix up old radios, and I can
sure understand somebody paying extra for a nice one, instead of trying
to make a nice one out of a cheap one.

Frank Dresser

Old February 22nd 04, 06:33 AM
Tony Meloche

Frank Dresser wrote:

"Fred" wrote in message
news
[...]

I can relate to this. My first SW capable radio was a 1937 Zenith -
a console with "Magic Eye", all band reception, etc. I wouldn't mind
one bit having that radio back today if I could get it back with a
complete cap job, all new tubes, realignment, etc. Regardless of
antenna, it couldn't match a modern high-end
SW reciever, but it would still be fun - the thing reeked of the
"romance" of SW listening back at that time in history.

Tony

Old February 22nd 04, 06:44 AM
Frank Dresser

"Tony Meloche" wrote in message

Frank Dresser wrote:

"Fred" wrote in message
news
[...]

News==----
100,000 Newsgroups
---= 19 East/West-Coast Specialized Servers - Total Privacy via

Encryption =---

Old February 22nd 04, 06:53 AM
Frank Dresser

"Tony Meloche" wrote in message

I can relate to this. My first SW capable radio was a 1937

Zenith -
a console with "Magic Eye", all band reception, etc. I wouldn't mind
one bit having that radio back today if I could get it back with a
complete cap job, all new tubes, realignment, etc. Regardless of
antenna, it couldn't match a modern high-end
SW reciever, but it would still be fun - the thing reeked of the
"romance" of SW listening back at that time in history.

Tony

Yeah, getting the things we wanted but couldn't afford as kids is a big
part of collecting. Not so much in my case, though. The only radio I
got because I wanted it as a kid was a Drake SW-4A. It worked pretty
good when I got it. Oh, well.

Frank Dresser

Old February 22nd 04, 09:48 AM
donutbandit

Tony Meloche wrote in
:

Regardless of
antenna, it couldn't match a modern high-end
SW reciever, but it would still be fun - the thing reeked of the
"romance" of SW listening back at that time in history.

The fact is that the programming that made the radio "romantic" is also
gone.

Anything can pick up Rush Limbaugh, ESPN Radio, and the lunatic fringe on
SW, but there is very little romance in it, no matter what radio you use.

There was a structure to radio programming back then that is gone now, and
even an A****er Kent can't receive that any more.
Old February 25th 04, 05:31 AM
WShoots1

There was a structure to radio programming back then that is gone now, and
even an A****er Kent can't receive that any more.

(Sigh...) So true. What made it romantic back then we
* Except for wire-press reports in newspapers and for Movietone News, radio was
the only way to get news.
* Radio then required one to use one's imagination. In fact, stuff was written
so certain vivid pictures would come to mind. Nowadays, the pictures are
provided.

I think that kind of radio is returning. Despite the stuff on US SW stations,
it is more of a personal nature than network stuff. There are some good retro
music and story shows on SW, too. (I need to write down the skeds of those.)

Too, microbroadcasting is growing up. I heard yesterday about Austin, Texas,
microbroadcasters linking their stations to provide broad coverage on the east
and west sides of town. That was kind of what I had in mind for my area, except
I thought of placing low powered translators on properties of willing owners.
Of course maintaining the same frequency would probably be impossible, unless
two transmitters were used at each translator, one for broadcast and one for a
link to another translator.

73,
Bill, K5BY
Old February 25th 04, 09:30 PM
RHF

= = = donutbandit
= = = wrote in message ...
Tony Meloche wrote in
:

Regardless of
antenna, it couldn't match a modern high-end
SW reciever, but it would still be fun - the thing reeked of the
"romance" of SW listening back at that time in history.

The fact is that the programming that made the radio "romantic" is also
gone.

Anything can pick up Rush Limbaugh, ESPN Radio, and the lunatic fringe on
SW, but there is very little romance in it, no matter what radio you use.

There was a structure to radio programming back then that is gone now, and
even an A****er Kent can't receive that any more.

DB,

This is why, I have always thought that the 50KW Clear Channel
Stations should be required as part of their license; to have
'original' "Local Content" Programming for broadcast from
6AM to 12AM/Midnight. This would create a revived diversity in
the AM Broadcasting Industry. The lesser powered 10KW and 5KW
stations could all run the "Me-Too" National Talk, News and
Sports Programming to fill their local markets.

Then DXing the Clear Channels would be something to Listen To
Daily and Nightly; not simply something to Log and forget.

~ RHF

..

eBay madness! W4UDX Boatanchors 76 January 18th 05 06:48 PM
dxAce - eBay madness! W4UDX Boatanchors 2 January 3rd 05 03:30 PM
eBay madness! W4UDX Boatanchors 0 December 30th 04 01:47 PM
ebay message? hoax or real? AO KD5FXT Equipment 18 February 24th 04 11:58 PM
WTB: Original box for Superadio II Frank Bals Shortwave 4 September 12th 03 02:14 PM