Old August 29th 04, 03:42 AM
Mark S. Holden

Johnny Lipps wrote:
I guess the main question I need to answer for myself is what level of
listener I want to be, casual or hardcore hobbyist. I sense it's
somewhere in between: I want a receiver that is tunable in smaller
increments than the standard portable, but I want to spend less time
tweaking than listening. When I have a setup working I'm sure you'll
see plenty of questions from me.

Thanks to everybody for the welcomes!

The review site you posted doesn't appear to have been updated in a few
years, so it's missing most of the current radios, and for that matter
several out of production favorites.

Here's a web site with basic information on about 100 of the more
popular radios available on the used market.

http://www.dxing.com/rx/rxindex.htm

If you tell us the kinds of features you think you want, how you'd like
to use it, and your general price range, odds are you'll get plenty of
suggestions for radios we think are worth considering.

Participants here use everything from portables to tube era boat anchors
to state of the art rack mount radios.

You might also want to start considering your antenna options, because
this will probably be a factor when it comes to picking a radio.

Regards,

Mark

Old August 29th 04, 06:52 AM
Mike Terry

"Johnny Lipps" wrote in message
news
Hello all. I started reading rec.radio.shortwave hoping to gain some
information about -- of all the crazy notions - shortwave radio.

Quite right Johnny, it should be about shortwave radio.

Mike

Old August 29th 04, 07:55 AM
sirius

BDK wrote:

Welcome to the group, hopefully the political junk will die out after
the election..hopefully.

BDK

They'll go back to harassing MWB.

Old August 29th 04, 08:04 AM
sirius

Telamon wrote:

Welcome to the newsgroup. The population that post here, other than the
juvenile Trolls, are mostly middle age and older males that have strong
opinions on just about anything.

The number of political posts will decline after the elections but this
is a popular newsgroup that ranges 100 to 200 posts a day normally and
when the political posts drop off something else will take its place so
be prepared to use the kill file and just ignore the threads that do
not interest you.

As a warning if you just post political or other off topic I'll just
kill file you. If you show genuine interest in the hobby with posts to
that effect and post political stuff I'll probably keep reading you. I
think you can see where I'm coming from with this thought.

--
Telamon

However what Telamon didn't tell you is:

He's in a lot of people's kill files for doing what he just warned you
about. Take a look at the google.groups archive for this group to see
what he's really like. Most of his posts in the past few months were
attacks against a certain person he doesn't like and political rants.

Old August 29th 04, 08:52 AM
m II

Johnny Lipps wrote:

I'm a former Navy submarine electronics technician (both communications
and navigation) with an interest in the construction, operation and
maintenance of sound-reproducing equipment, mainly guitar amplifiers
and radio receivers.

Hi Johnny..just out of curiosity, when did the Navy Brass find out that
the sonar was damaging and killing whales and dolphins? Some reports
say there may have been tens of thousands of these animals killed
because of direct damage or a later inability to navigate or swim.

Any insights welcome.

mike

Old August 29th 04, 10:17 AM
Johnny Lipps

I didn't know anybody in the Navy's marching band so I couldn't tell you
if the brass (let alone the percussionists) were aware of any impact
active SONAR may have on whales and dolphins.
While we're off-topic: some reports indicate a rise in the use of phantom
citations in passive-aggressive Usenet posts.

Cheers,

Old August 29th 04, 10:23 AM
Mike Terry

"sirius" wrote in message
BDK wrote:

Welcome to the group, hopefully the political junk will die out after
the election..hopefully.

BDK

They'll go back to harassing MWB.

Yes welcome to the group.

Amongst the annoying off topic stuff each day there are some interesting dx
items which are great to read, thanks to all of those contributors.

I hope the other ones will realise that they are wasting their time posting
to this list. I kind kill file helps.

Mike

Old August 29th 04, 10:33 AM
Johnny Lipps

On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 20:11:17 -0600, uncle arnie
wrote:

I moved up the R-75 after using a Sangean ATS-909, Grundig YB-400. I also
have an ATS-606 and YB-300.

That one sentence kicked off a lot of reading! After poring over the
archives and looking all over the net, I'm down to the R-75, the PCR-1000
and Ten-Tec's RX-320 as fitting my price-range and having the features I
think I'm most interested in. And I found Linux controllers for all of
them.

From the archives I can see there's been a lot of debate about all three
receivers, so I'll take my time and research more before making a
decision. Thanks for leading me in a good direction!

Old August 29th 04, 11:57 AM
Volker Tonn

wrote:

I moved up the R-75 after using a Sangean ATS-909, Grundig YB-400. I also
have an ATS-606 and YB-300.

That one sentence kicked off a lot of reading! After poring over the
archives and looking all over the net, I'm down to the R-75, the
PCR-1000 and Ten-Tec's RX-320 as fitting my price-range and having the
features I think I'm most interested in. And I found Linux controllers
for all of them.

If you're mostly interested into shortwave go with the R-75 or the RX-320.
There is some _very_ nice software for the RX-320. The newer RX-320'D'
will also support DRM. Don't know about Linux software supporting DRM...
If you like a standalone receiver go with the R-75.
The PCR1000 is comparable with the Sony 2010 on shortwave performance,
not too bad for a widerange receiver of that price. But the PCR-1000 is
far behind the R-75 on shortwave.
..
..
(T)RX:
NRD-525 with serial interface
PCR-1000 without UT-106 DSP
Yaesu FT50-R
Sony ICF-2001D (2010)
Albrecht AE300 100Khz-2.060Ghz AM FM SSB no gaps
Loewe Opta LO50 stereo radio with valves FM AM LW SW
Trio 9R-59DS

audio:
Datong FL2 analog audio filter in series with
Dierking GD 82NF analog audio filter in series with
Kenwood HiFI-amp with integrated equalizer feeding
AKG K-240Monitor headphones and/or hifi-speakers

antennas:
Magnetic loop 18-31Mhz remote tuning
Discone 25-1300Mhz
FD-antenna 40.5mtr/ 135 ft
FD-antenna 13.8mtr/ 44 ft
rain gutter areal app. 150 mtr/ 495 ft
Yaesu FRT7700 preselector
Yaesu FRA7700 selective active antenna/ modified for selective preamp

....and last but not least a bunch of computers...

Old August 29th 04, 02:20 PM
BDK

In article , says...
BDK wrote:

Welcome to the group, hopefully the political junk will die out after
the election..hopefully.

BDK

They'll go back to harassing MWB.

Sad, but probably true. I don't really get it..

BDK